JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   CJ7 fuel delivery question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj7-fuel-delivery-question-1538517/)

aglinks 06-19-2013 09:15 AM

CJ7 fuel delivery question

Ok so I have read a couple of threads with similar questions but I am not 100% my situation matches up. My CJ stalled on monday and left me stranded in the blazing 110 degree AZ heat for a few hours. It was running great for about an hour and half and then it slowly started to lose power. Within 30 seconds of starting to lose power it died. I let everything cool down for about 20 minutes (thinking maybe the fuel pump had overheated or something) and it started back up and ran for about 5 miles. After the 5 miles it died and would not start. After an hour and a half and I had to call a tow truck. Should I be on the look out for fuel pump problems, vapor lock issues, ignition problems...anything I can rule out? I have a Chevy 350 with TBI and it was running at about 200-205 degrees when all this happened. Thanks guys!

aglinks 06-26-2013 11:30 AM

I've replaced the fuel pump and filter and so far things seem to running smooth. Fingers Crossed!

LumpyGrits 06-26-2013 11:37 AM

Spares of each in the Jeep would be smart:thumbsup:
LG

WindKnot 06-26-2013 12:04 PM

Is the fuel return line still in place? If so, is the filter clocked correctly?

One thing about the fuel return line, it cut down a LOT on vapor lock.

Oily 06-26-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aglinks (Post 15581019)
It was running great for about an hour and half and then it slowly started to lose power. Within 30 seconds of starting to lose power it died. I let everything cool down for about 20 minutes (thinking maybe the fuel pump had overheated or something) and it started back up and ran for about 5 miles. After the 5 miles it died and would not start.

Do you have a catalytic converter ? Pevious ones, maybe even the new ones, when old, used to melt the pellets which would choke exhaust. No air out, no air/fuel mixture in.

82JeepCJ7 06-26-2013 12:52 PM

Ethanol content in the fuel will cause a vapor lock type situation. I avoid gas with ethanol in it like the plague.

If it repeats the symptoms, try running it with the gas cap off and see what happens.

tbart16 06-26-2013 12:56 PM

i would love to have ethanol free gas closest station for me is about an hour :(. sounds like vapor lock

aglinks 06-26-2013 01:12 PM

I have TBI and was told that vapor lock was highly unlikely, is that true?

WindKnot 06-26-2013 01:36 PM

Yes. Unless for some reason there's no return line. With the return line the fuel is always moving. No return line the fuel can sit and heat up.

aglinks 06-26-2013 01:44 PM

Im pretty sure I have the return line and everything is hooked up properly, Ill take a second look tonight when I get home from work. Sorry, I am a mechanical noob haha

LumpyGrits 06-26-2013 01:48 PM

TBI=v'lock NOT likely unless you have no return line.
Where is your f'pump mounted?
If you can--Post pics of the engine bay show'n fuel line routes.
LG

aglinks 06-26-2013 04:56 PM

Ill take pictures this weekend, Its dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home haha.

james04si 06-26-2013 05:51 PM

The GM TBI has one line coming in and a return line going out of the actual throttle body. You defenatly should not have the original fuel filter installed as the TBI is not very happy with less than 10# of pressure and ideal is 13# if I am not mistaken. I have heard that fuel pump placement has been issues for some people. Best location is an in tank pump but if not then as close to the tank and higher up is second best. Mine is on the frame right in front of the rear shock. It is also best practice to have a filter before the pump to keep crap out of the actual pump mechanism.

dg6772 06-26-2013 11:53 PM

I put my pump in the tank with no issues thus far. It takes a little imagination though.

Dave in Muskegon

aglinks 07-04-2013 01:58 PM

Ok so here is a picture of where my fuel filter and pump are mounted. I am pretty novice at nearly everything mechanical but I'm pretty sure there is no return line...(also hopefully I uploaded the image properly)

The time now is 05:26 PM.