cj7 front spring hanger? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 front spring hanger?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
napaguy

cj7 front spring hanger?

I was looking at the front spring area of a 1976 cj7 frame I just bought and the distance between the front spring hanger and the rear spring hanger for the leaf spring are different distances when you measure across. . I am trying to wrap my head around that one? what am I missing?

napaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

Shackle hangers or spring hangers?... talking the distance between left and right or between front and rear mounts of same leaf? the front leaves are skinnier than rears keep in mind, depends on where you're measuring... possible spring out board done by a previous owner? Pics are always helpful and whats the measurements you're coming out with?
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
napaguy

I will get some pictures tomorrow when I have some light
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
CSP

You don't need pictures, just a better description of what you're comparing.

Different distances comparing right side to left or front springs vs rear springs? Your description is a little on the vague side.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
napaguy

sorry let me try and clarify..focusing on just the front leaf spring. When measuring from right to left across the width of the frame. I was thinking the hangers would be the same distrance apart for the front and rear. Does that make sense? Im not good with words so please let me know if I can clarify
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by napaguy View Post
I was looking at the front spring area of a 1976 cj7 frame I just bought and the distance between the front spring hanger and the rear spring hanger for the leaf spring are different distances when you measure across. . I am trying to wrap my head around that one? what am I missing?
If you are talking about the shackle (the part that hangs from the frame and attaches to the leaf spring at the bottom) then yes, the shackle at the front is wider apart than the shackle at the rear. The SPRING is the same size all the way down the length, but the BUSHINGS are thicker (fatter?) on the front shackle than on the rear.

Why? Because the frame member widens a bit as it reaches the front. The thicker bushing makes up for it.

Does that answer your question?

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
CSP

I think the comparison is the distance at the shackle end of the front spring to the distance at the fixed end of the spring.

This distance should be the same, but it has to be measured from center to center. The bushings at the shackle end have a smaller shoulder on them than the fixed end, so the measurement must be the center to center distance at each end of the front spring.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.