CJ7 Front Hub Assembly Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Front Hub Assembly Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
ParsonMac
1984 CJ7 

CJ7 Front Hub Assembly Swap

While in Moab this last week, I decided to take a look at the bolts holding my Superwinch (junk) hubs to the hub/rotor assembly flange as I'd been having trouble keeping them snug. Wouldn't you know, two of them where sheared off leaving the stud in the hub flange. I now only have two bolts (one was sheared off when purchased from PO) holding the hub to the mounting flange. I'd like to replace the '82 five bolt hub/rotor assembly with the 76-81 6 bolt and add Warn Premium hubs. Are bearings, wheel washers etc. cross compatible? What about the spindles? Thanks in advance!

ParsonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

76-86 spindles, bearings, nuts etc are all the same. There are 3 different brake setups, but the 6 bolt hubs will fit your rotors so you can use 6 bolt lock outs. Just press the wheel studs out of the 5's and press them in to the 6's
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Everything is compatable. Here are my 6 bolt premium conversions on my '85 7. Plus they just look b i t c h i n'

Unread 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
ParsonMac
1984 CJ7 

Sweet! Thanks alot
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
ParsonMac
1984 CJ7 

Update: Went to fastenall for studs to repalce bolts and he presented me with Nord-Lock Bolt securing system. Here's what their website says:

"Nord-Lock bolt securing systems use geometry to safely lock bolted joints in the most critical applications. The key is the difference in angles. Since the cam angle "α" is larger than the thread pitch "β", the pair of washers expand more than the corresponding pitch of the thread. Any attempt from the bolt/nut to rotate loose is blocked by the wedge effect of the cams.

Nord-Lock washers are available in steel, stainless steel and SMO. All washers are ELV and RoHS compliant. In order to facilitate assembly Nord-Lock washers come pre-assembled in pairs (glued)."

I'm gonna try them out on my current setup. I'll keep you posted on how well they do.

Tags
assembly , brakes , cj7 , hub , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.