post #1 of Old 10-09-2003, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Muttley

CJ7 Frame Crack cure?

I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7 with some problems in the frame: both front end sides are cracked near the spring mount.
I tried to weld then but the crack appear again over the weld.

Does anybody know a "cure" for that or how to make a GOOD reinforcement there?

If you can send me any www where I can take a look in pictures or articles about that I will appreciate!

Thankx

Muttley
From Brazil

Azad "Muttley" Tarikian
Sao Paulo - Brazil
jeepcj7@uol.com.br
1986 Jeep CJ7 Renegade
post #2 of Old 10-09-2003, 09:04 AM
gumby

repair

Ok this time when you weld it take the stress of the weld area first. then grind a groove \ / looks like this on bothsides into the weld area. it should not crack unless the material itself is flawed. when welding this area make sure the slag from welding is gone by chipping with a hammer the area after you done welding. your looking for complete beads an no pitting in the weld if your still in doubt about the weld tack on a scab patch over the welded area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley
I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7 with some problems in the frame: both front end sides are cracked near the spring mount.
I tried to weld then but the crack appear again over the weld.

Does anybody know a "cure" for that or how to make a GOOD reinforcement there?

If you can send me any www where I can take a look in pictures or articles about that I will appreciate!

Thankx

Muttley
From Brazil

1984 CJ-7 offroad special loves to get dirty and play rough. unlike the girls I meet
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
post #3 of Old 10-09-2003, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
Ok this time when you weld it take the stress of the weld area first. then grind a groove \ / looks like this on bothsides into the weld area. it should not crack unless the material itself is flawed. when welding this area make sure the slag from welding is gone by chipping with a hammer the area after you done welding. your looking for complete beads an no pitting in the weld if your still in doubt about the weld tack on a scab patch over the welded area
I already tried the "grove" process... but the crack re-opened!

Is that crack appears to a lot of CJ7īs frame or itīs just on mine?

Thankx

Muttley

Azad "Muttley" Tarikian
Sao Paulo - Brazil
jeepcj7@uol.com.br
1986 Jeep CJ7 Renegade