CJ7 Frame Crack cure? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Frame Crack cure?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-09-2003, 08:51 AM   #1
Muttley

CJ7 Frame Crack cure?

I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7 with some problems in the frame: both front end sides are cracked near the spring mount.
I tried to weld then but the crack appear again over the weld.

Does anybody know a "cure" for that or how to make a GOOD reinforcement there?

If you can send me any www where I can take a look in pictures or articles about that I will appreciate!

Thankx

Muttley
From Brazil

1986 Jeep CJ7 Renegade
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:04 AM   #2
gumby

repair

Ok this time when you weld it take the stress of the weld area first. then grind a groove \ / looks like this on bothsides into the weld area. it should not crack unless the material itself is flawed. when welding this area make sure the slag from welding is gone by chipping with a hammer the area after you done welding. your looking for complete beads an no pitting in the weld if your still in doubt about the weld tack on a scab patch over the welded area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley
I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7 with some problems in the frame: both front end sides are cracked near the spring mount.
I tried to weld then but the crack appear again over the weld.

Does anybody know a "cure" for that or how to make a GOOD reinforcement there?

If you can send me any www where I can take a look in pictures or articles about that I will appreciate!

Thankx

Muttley
From Brazil
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:19 AM   #3
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
Ok this time when you weld it take the stress of the weld area first. then grind a groove \ / looks like this on bothsides into the weld area. it should not crack unless the material itself is flawed. when welding this area make sure the slag from welding is gone by chipping with a hammer the area after you done welding. your looking for complete beads an no pitting in the weld if your still in doubt about the weld tack on a scab patch over the welded area
I already tried the "grove" process... but the crack re-opened!

Is that crack appears to a lot of CJ7īs frame or itīs just on mine?

Thankx

Muttley
1986 Jeep CJ7 Renegade
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.