CJ7 Flywheel ring gear fails. Need help diagnosing! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Flywheel ring gear fails. Need help diagnosing!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
srdrums
1983 CJ7 

CJ7 Flywheel ring gear fails. Need help diagnosing!

Got a 1983 CJ7 with the standard engine (except for headers & the Weber carb).

Ever since I've owned it (about 6.5 years) my CJ has torn up starters. I went through 2 stock starters and with probably 2 rebuilds on each. I finally went with the Mean Green starter and thought my problems had been solved. Until tonight. I cranked the Jeep and heard a bunch of grind in the flywheel. Got the Jeep home took off the starter and there is metal shavings all over the place. The Mean Green appears to be in good condition, but the flywheel ring gear has obviously been shaved down over the years to the point that it's not fully catching the starter anymore, hence the grinding.

Now, the ring gear has only been on this Jeep for about 4 years. I replaced it when I put a new clutch in.

Does anyone have an ideas on why my Jeep is having these starting issues? The only thing I can think of is that the compression in the engine is way high and it's wearing out these starting parts with each crank. Unfortunately I don't have the capability of testing engine compression so who knows.

Any suggestions, idea, comments? Please help.

srdrums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Sounds like the starter teeth are not messing enough with the flywheel teeth. Are there any shims between starter and block? Try removing them to see what happens.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
coldwater
CJ7 

shim your starter out a little, the starter gear is prolly too close to the ring gear and chews it up.
Unread 12-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

^ Yes what coldwater stated. I meant to say add a shim. Sorry.

Edit: When you check for contact between the teeth you could disconnect starter lead and just leave on contact to engage bendix gear to see how they are meshing together. With stater lead off to battery when you turn the key only the bendix gear will advance to the flywheel and you could check to see how they are hitting. Hope that helps you some.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
srdrums
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the suggestions! However after some more research I decided there was a good chance it was a bad connection and/or ground to the starter solonoid, which could cause the gear to not fully engaged the flywheel (turns out no teeth were missing, just some metal shavings), thus the grinding. I took everything apart, cleaned up all connections and it worked great....the cranking went fine with no problems

Only lasted for about a week, though. Now it's grinding again and the slowly starting, like it's not getting enough power. I'm guessing this is an indication that solonoid is worn out? Can these go bad? Anyways, I'm going to replace it tonight see as the part is only $12 and see what happens. Hopefully that solves it.
srdrums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

JeepHammer post a bunch of stuff on grounds. You starter is the biggest use of power in the CJ other than winch.

I would pull your battery and have it load tested. Ck battery with multimeter, if not reading 12.5V or little higher I would slow charge, 2amp or less, for 6-8 hrs and then have load tested. Ck you water level if that type of batter if any cells/plates are exposed fill up again with distilled water(supermarket cheap!) to the bottom of plastic splash guards. Then charge after distilled water full. IF maiintenance free skip the water fill step.

I would change your battery leads and grounds if they look old. The starter requires proper Volts/amps to kick the gear into flywheel. JeepHammer like the battery ground to go to the starter since biggest load. Do search for some of the posts. I still used the Block ground but also did a ground stud on block with adequate wires to frame, firewall, engine head(s), alternator body, and starter.

If you had a lead problem last week bet you still have one.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I am doing just this. CJ-7 1986 258 with a T-5. The old starter had a thread stripping, so it was sloppy. I was happy to see this, because I thought it was just a misaligned starter because it was tight to the bell housing. I put on a new starter and things were slightly better, but now, I am just grinding. I had the battery load tested, it is good at 89%. I have already done all the grounding, and from when I bought this Jeep about 3 yrs. ago, I have re-invigorated the power to where I can do hills in 5th gear that I had to go into 3rd gear before. I have no cracked bell housing dog ears. I am going to have Auto Zone test the starter. I will post in this thread the final solution.
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

CJ65,

Make sure the bell-housing to block alignment pins are in place. There's one on each side of the block.

Without the alignment pins there's enough slop between the bell-housing and the bolts holding it to the block that the bell-housing can shift slightly causing all kinds of starter and clutch alignment issues.

I learned that lessen the hard way.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

MG's are total CRAP!!!
Fix the FW ring gear and get a NEW starter from NAPA.
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.