CJ7 engine won't turn off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 engine won't turn off

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
eagleCJ7
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 engine won't turn off

Have recently started having a problem turning my 7 off. When I turn the ignition key to the off position it sometimes will not turn the engine off. It only stops when I put it in gear and step on the brake to stall it. This is an intermittent problem. It starts fine. Gauges appear to work correctly when ignition turned on and go off when ignition in off position even when engine still on. I'm thinking ignition switch and not solenoid. Sure would appreciate any ideas anyone has.

eagleCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Man, you're pretty lucky. Most people go through life trying to get their Jeeps to run and you can't get yours to stop!

Seriously though, do you have a factory service manual or at least the schematics? I would say that is the first place to start.

To make sure I understand, (1) the engine is actually running, not (2) dieseling after you turn the ignition switch off, right? If #1 is the case, you will have power at the coil. The solenoid should have nothing to do with it. Just trace the wiring on the schematic back to the ignition switch and see if the power for the gauges comes from the same wire/terminal/contact or a different one. If it's different sources, then you are probably right and have a bad ignition switch. It seems a little hard to believe that it would fail like that but it may be possible.

If it looks like the switch, do you have another you could swap in to check that way? If not, it may be difficult to check the ignition switch internal connections because I haven't seen that info in my manual.

Hope this gets the conversation rolling for you. Someone here posted a pdf of schematics for later year CJ/Wrangler I think, though it may have been Wrangler only.

trailhead
Unread 02-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
eagleCJ7
1985 CJ7 

correct........it is not dieseling. I think I have some schematics somewhere. I'll take a look at that. I don't have another switch so I can't go that route. Thanks for the help!
Unread 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The switch is down at the top bottom of the steering column. It is mounted in oval slots for adjusting. Maybe it is loose or out of adjustment slightly because of wear on the connecting rod linkages.

I believe you turn the key all the way back to the ACC setting, then adjust the switch to that and the rest of the positions will fall right.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The switch is down at the top bottom of the steering column. It is mounted in oval slots for adjusting. Maybe it is loose or out of adjustment slightly because of wear on the connecting rod linkages.

I believe you turn the key all the way back to the ACC setting, then adjust the switch to that and the rest of the positions will fall right.
Does that generally apply to all column mount ignition switches?

trailhead
Unread 02-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

If you do get another switch the tilt wheel one and non-tilt are different.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
Does that generally apply to all column mount ignition switches?

trailhead
Yes, they all have to have a little adjustment in them to be set up right.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
eagleCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Do you have any picyures of how to adjust this? Do I adjust the ignition switch located on the upper part of the steering column? Or do I have to take the steering wheel off and dismantle the steering column to get at the upper part of the actuator rod?
Unread 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roem View Post
Do you have any picyures of how to adjust this? Do I adjust the ignition switch located on the upper part of the steering column? Or do I have to take the steering wheel off and dismantle the steering column to get at the upper part of the actuator rod?
The key switch itself up top is fixed for the positions. ACC on most is all the way back past lock.

The electrical switch which is down low has slots where it bolts on so you make it also go all the way back to ACC like the key is and then tighten down the bolts. That should have it so when the key hits start, the switch is also on start. trying to set it when it is on start is problematic because of the spring load back to run.
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
eagleCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Mike..........that's pretty simple.
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
eagleCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Ok...... this is beginning to get really irritating. I replaced the ignition switch, adjusted it, and all appeared to be good. WRONG For a week, everything worked as it was supposed to. I was starting to feel pretty smug, then BAM! Turned the ignition off last night and the engine just kept purring along. WTF! So I put it in 1st gear and popped the clutch to stall it, started it again, turned the key off and the engine turned off. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong like Trailhead said, and just consider myself lucky the engine starts????????? Any ideas?
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The key switch itself up top is fixed for the positions. ACC on most is all the way back past lock.

The electrical switch which is down low has slots where it bolts on so you make it also go all the way back to ACC like the key is and then tighten down the bolts. That should have it so when the key hits start, the switch is also on start. trying to set it when it is on start is problematic because of the spring load back to run.
Please forgive the hi-jack... it just seems appropriate!

Mike- Does this affect how a modern vehicle goes into gear? You know when you mash the brake to shift and automatic from PARK to DRIVE?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
eagleCJ7
1985 CJ7 

any more ideas
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleCJ7 View Post
any more ideas
Yes, a bad alternator can keep the engine running. To see if that is it, unplug the small white plug to see if that shuts down the engine next time it does it.
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Please forgive the hi-jack... it just seems appropriate!

Mike- Does this affect how a modern vehicle goes into gear? You know when you mash the brake to shift and automatic from PARK to DRIVE?
Don't think so.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.