CJ7 engine will turnover but not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 engine will turnover but not start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
jguess1

CJ7 engine will turnover but not start

I have a 1985 CJ7 with the 258 and it was running fine (well slow to start after setting) up until this weekend. Now it will not start at all. It will continue to turn over but just not start. It has an after market carb and I checked to see how dirty it was, but the carb is clean. It smells of gas when I pull the throttle. I also have an electric fuel pump. If you need pictures please let me know.

One thing I will say is when I would turn it off the engine recently it would sputter for about 2-5 seconds each time. I am not sure if that means something or not.

Thanks

jguess1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Could be a number of things. Sounds like fuel isnt the issue, can you hear your pump prime the system while you are turning it over?

Eliminating a fuel issue, the next thing to check is if you're getting spark.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
jguess1

Yes I can hear the fuel prime when I turn the key. How do I check the spark issue?
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

My 85 is difficult to start after sitting and runs on. When it is difficult the only way it will start is if I hold the throttle to the floor then it will start to sputter and slowly come to life.

To check the spark just unplug a spark plug wire and stick an old spark plug or philips screw driver in it and then have someone turn it over and look for a spark. If you do the screwdriver do not pull it away until the engine stops turning. I learned that the hard way.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
My 85 is difficult to start after sitting and runs on. When it is difficult the only way it will start is if I hold the throttle to the floor then it will start to sputter and slowly come to life.
This is also for the OP.
Hard starting hot where you have to hold the throttle open to get her to start is a flooding issue. there are a few possible reasons for this. here are a couple off the top of my head. Too much fuel pressure, float level too high, bad accelerator pump circuit, internal leak(s) inside the carb, choke adjustment (too rich). Depending on what carburetor you are running there are other things to consider too.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
This is also for the OP.
Hard starting hot where you have to hold the throttle open to get her to start is a flooding issue. there are a few possible reasons for this. here are a couple off the top of my head. Too much fuel pressure, float level too high, bad accelerator pump circuit, internal leak(s) inside the carb, choke adjustment (too rich). Depending on what carburetor you are running there are other things to consider too.
For me I think it is a choke problem because it is only on start-up sometimes when hot. I also wonder if the floats are not leaking letting residual pressure out into the intake. I have already rebuilt the carb and it is pretty worn out. My solution is to put the 4.0 I have in it.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The run-on after shutting off is called "dieseling".

Causes can be timing related, or a lean fuel mixture, idle too high, or just a sticky throttle plate that isn't closing all the way.

Based on your other symptoms, I'm going with timing.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
jguess1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Could be a number of things. Sounds like fuel isnt the issue, can you hear your pump prime the system while you are turning it over?

Eliminating a fuel issue, the next thing to check is if you're getting spark.
So if I can hear the electric fuel pump prime when I turn the key to "on" and I am getting a spark when I try to start the engine. What would be the next thing to check? If you have any idea, how would you check them?

I only checked one plug. Should I check all six before moving on?
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

To sort something like this out you need to be methodical.

1. Fuel delivery - nothing beats checking there is fuel by seeing it. Take the air cleaner off and look down the carb. With the pump on can you see any leakage into the throats? When you work the accelerator linkage do you see fuel squirting in there? And i mean a good squirt, not a dribble. If it has a choke at the top are the choke plates closed when it is cold? Take the fuel hose off at the carb inlet- do you get lots of petrol spurting out?

2. Spark - screwdrivers are not the best tool for this as you are not replicating the engine. Get an old spark plug, put it in the end of the lead and rest it on the block or manifold etc. When the engine turns over you should see a sharp blue yellow spark and hear a crack. This will be regular as the engine turns. Take out the spark plugs, are they clean? Do they smell strongly of fuel?

3. Look for manifold leaks, vacuum hoses that have dropped off etc.

4. Look at the distributor - is the vacuum hose connected?

5. Look at the fuse box - is that IGNLPS fuse intact? It feeds the computer on the 85 - unlikely to be blown but check anyway.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
tljones210
1985 CJ7 

Easiest step is to check vacuum hoses like above mentioned, if getting fuel to carb. $7 fix for me this weekend with exact symptoms.
tljones210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Bagusjeep was taking a long time to start until I replaced the vacuum hoses. they looked fine but in fact were crapoled.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
jguess1

Thanks for the information. I will try these steps and get back to you.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
jguess1

So it was definitely the vacuum hoses. I replaced them and it fired right up. Thanks for everyone's help/recommendations.
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
This is also for the OP.
Hard start HOT is v'lock........
OP--Run a lead from the POS(+)side of your battery to the POS(+)side of your coil. NOW, see if it starts. IF it does you have ing switch issues which is common.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #15
gurlcj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post

Hard start HOT is v'lock........
OP--Run a lead from the POS(+)side of your battery to the POS(+)side of your coil. NOW, see if it starts. IF it does you have ing switch issues which is common.
LG
I'm having starting issues also. Running that lead is the only way I could get it to start! So, your saying it's an ignition switch gone bad? I've changed the coil Also, i get one spark and only one. Its when I let off the key. Still the switch I was leaning toward the pickup coil.
gurlcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.