CJ7 easy questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 easy questions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
TJs83CJ7

CJ7 easy questions

Ok so I figured I would start a thread for all quick answer questions I will have instead of posting new ones each time. I do use the search function with limited success, but sometimes when it is something small and specific it is easier to ask. I am sure guys on here will help.

I am trying to remove the bolts from the spring shackles and the nut just spins however, the bolt isn't spinning. Yet the bolt won't come off. What do I do?

TJs83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Break out the sawsall, or grinder with a cutoff disk.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
TJs83CJ7

Was trying to avoid that... is this a common problem? I was able to get the bolts that connect the shackle to the shackle hanger, but the lower nut just won't come off. I feel like there is a trick to it.
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs83CJ7
Was trying to avoid that... is this a common problem? I was able to get the bolts that connect the shackle to the shackle hanger, but the lower nut just won't come off. I feel like there is a trick to it.
Rusty or stripped bolts on a CJ? That's pretty rare.

Seriously, it's quite common for peeps to have issues taking apart stuff. PB Blaster and you should get acquainted. You might also look into getting a small propane torch if you plan on doing lots. I have a 4 foot "cheater" bar that I've used quite frequently. Just don't plan on reusing those bolts or nuts. I recently put new springs on and my bolts for the spring hangers where rusted and seized to the sleeve and wouldn't come out. Talk about a pain in the arse!
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

PB Blaster, torch, sawzall, grinder, pry bar and a big hammer will become your go to tools for your CJ.
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

There's no trick to those. Just a bolt, a nut, and elbow grease. When reassembling, don't give into the temptation of torquing them to tight.
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
TJs83CJ7

I think I need to be more descriptive here. The nut spins easily like it is loosening, the bolt doesn't move. However, the nut does not back off the bolt. Not sure if I am missing something else.
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I think I need to be more descriptive here. The nut spins easily like it is loosening, the bolt doesn't move. However, the nut does not back off the bolt. Not sure if I am missing something else.
Sounds like it is stripped. You're going to have to cut it.
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Post a pic maybe?
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
TJs83CJ7

ah...ok...so I will cut it off.....Now if I end up cutting into the bushing are all bushing universal? I would assume yes, but you know what they say when you assume. Thanks for the quick replies....I'm sure I will post more stuff for this little crap. Most big things I have subscribed to threads for and they have been very helpful.
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Turokman123
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingCJ View Post
Sounds like it is stripped. You're going to have to cut it.
Had this same problem myself. RamblingCJ is right, it's stripped.
1984 CJ7 riding on 35" Wrangler DuraWalls, 4 inch lift, Dana 30 axle in front, with an AMC 20 rear axle. The Dana 300 two-speed transfer case; gear ratio of 3.54:1. Qualifications for a wave: 1: Top off 2: Any mud on the Jeep 3: Non-stock tires (not lowered) .
Turokman123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Is the bolt moving on the nut side? Maybe it's broken off internally?

Or as everyone is saying, it's stripped.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
ah...ok...so I will cut it off.....Now if I end up cutting into the bushing are all bushing universal? I would assume yes, but you know what they say when you assume. Thanks for the quick replies....I'm sure I will post more stuff for this little crap. Most big things I have subscribed to threads for and they have been very helpful.
No prob. I'd cut the bolt outside of the shackle plate. Between that and the nut. Or cut the bolt head off.

As far as the bushings, the spring hangers (front) and those on the shackle hanger and leaf springs (rear) are different sizes. If the bolts are that bad you might look into replacing the bushings while its apart. Save you from doing it all over again in the near future. They are probably cracking and worn out....
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm
Is the bolt moving on the nut side? Maybe it's broken off internally?

Or as everyone is saying, it's stripped.
That could also be the situation.
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd cut outside the bolt outside the shackle on the fuel cell side. That way you can pull the bolt out! It's not going to slide out towards the fuel cell, the fuel cell will block it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.