CJ7 Ditto, need help with keeping this kid running after a good start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Ditto, need help with keeping this kid running after a good start

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
madmoto375
1982 CJ7 

CJ7 Ditto, need help with keeping this kid running after a good start

OK, I have an 82 cj7 Renegade with the 4.2L 258 L6 130K miles on her. I just bought her after a frame-off restoration done by the po. She's a beauty and was running outstanding for about a week and nothing but trouble since.I got my grape rattled over in Iraq and Afghanistan, so memory and focus is not my forte, so please bear with me. The engine has a holley 2300 2 bbl 390 cfm carb on it that was taken off today and inspected and cleaned before being reassembled and installed. I have put a new ignition control module and starter coil, I have also installed new under the hood steel braid fuel lines with a see through filter.She's got hedmen headers no cats, just mufflers. The engine starts but then dies out anywhere from a couple of seconds to 20 seconds. But it dies like someone cut the switch off; voila, no fuel. I can see this is happening but don't know what to do about it. I've been trying to fix this for a couple of weeks now and I don't care how or who I get help from. Could it be the sending unit fr0om the tank, bad gas, the float in the carb bowl? I'm all ears, eyes and ready to get this jeep on the road before summer is completely gone.

madmoto375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have you got air in the fuel? You can see this at the see through filter. If so the flexible hose at the tank has split, drop the tank in 20 minutes and have a look, renew as necessary. Rarely it is a split Tube so have a good look at the entire fuel line for damp patches. Possibly even a pinched flexible hose near the tank.

The tank and fuel lines are very simple but you need to be careful about old age perishing the rubber parts and rust and debris blocking the sock filter in the tank. US market has other gubbins hanging off the tank but it will possibly be the fuel line between the sender unit and the fuel pump.

You don;t say what fuel pump you have fitted. The mechanical ones are reliable but eventually split thgeir diaphragms and leak fuel out of the bottom. Electric ones are prone to electrical issues and you need to check they have voltage.

If not fuel then my first guess would be ignition, low voltage side. This is very simple to check with a test 12V lamp and long leads, best $5 tool in my tool box for checking such things. Connect one lead to the battery -ve and the other to the red with tracer wire after taking it off the coil +ve. The lamp should be bright in Start and dim in Run. Connect one lead to the battery +ve and the other to the green wire taken off the coil -ve. The lamp should blink on and off in Start.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.