CJ7 CV Drive Shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 CV Drive Shaft?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Face
2005 LJ Wrangler 

CJ7 CV Drive Shaft?

I'm new to the site but have found some very helpful information here so hopefully someone has some ideas for me.

I have a '85 CJ7 I just put a RE 4.5" lift on. The whole time I was crossing my fingers that the drive shaft wouldn't bind once I was finished. After everything was said and done (with 2.5* shims added in the rear) the u-joint at the transfer case doesn't bind....but just barely.

Is it possible to use steeper shims to adjust the pinion angle to help correct this temporarily? I'm assuming I'll have to put on a CV drive shaft, but would like to avoid it as long as I can.

Also, I've done numerous searches on this site but haven't found a "how-to" on what used CV drive shaft components I can use or what to look out for.

Thanks in advance for all the help and keep rockin'.

Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Read this. More than I could even begin to tell you,.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ft/index2.html

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You could try larger shims but they may induce a driveline vibe. Might have to play around with shims and a transfer case drop to get the vibration cancelled out. Also, be aware that, although not binding, steep ujoint angles drastically reduce ujoint life. Another thing to be careful of.. if you're close to binding at static ride height, you really need to be careful about "unloading" the rear suspension (ie bouncing over a speed bump). That could droop the rear suspension enough to cause binding.. no warning.. just a bang.

Some folks (me included) grind the yokes to help keep from binding.

Your average stock ujoint will go farther before binding than a typical CV shaft will. However, with the CV you can rotate the pinion up further to reduce that angle. Also, the CV will split the angle between 2 joints.. usually extending ujoint life over a single joint.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
dirtman13
2007 CJ7 

When I did mine I put shims on the rear and got a Double Cardan Conversion driveshaft from http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html It has worked flawless.
dirtman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Face
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like a new CV shaft is in my future. Anyone out there have a used one they'd be willing to part with?
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/drive-shafts-cj-7-a-519476/
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.