CJ7 Complete Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Complete Rebuild

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Ian0516

CJ7 Complete Rebuild

This is my first post. I know all of my questions have been answered 1,000 times. The problem is that I have been researching and I am still confused on everything. I am looking into getting a pre 1985 CJ7. I am planning on dropping a SBC 350 in it with a SM465 and a Dana 300. This is as far as my research has gotten me. I have worked on cars before with friends (I am currently finishing up a 1971 SS Chevelle with a SBC 350) but I have never done a rebuild by myself. I want to know EVERYTHING that I need for this project from start to finish. And by everything I mean everything. I am expecting to start with only the tub, frame, and diffs. What will I need for the engine after buying the 350 block (like what carb, air filter, distributor, etc.) What bell housing, suspension, clutch, and everything else. Like I said this will be my first rebuild. I have only worked on engines that have everything bought and just needed assembly so please be patient with me I am new to this.

I know that everything that I want to do will take A LOT of time, I have 3 years to do this.
I have been researching for weeks and have barley put together ALL the information, I want to be able to predict how much money will go into rebuilding this jeep, that is why I want to know EVERY step and EVERY piece I will need. Thank you in advance for helping me and being patient with me.

Ian0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

When I did mine,I started with a list of what I wanted. Things such as fuel delivery are a system; wether its a carb or fuel injection. I choose tbi,therefore I needed to figure supply(tank), delivery(pump),internal or external( I chose internal and built my sending unit), lines (I chose plastic with quick connects) also where to put computer and how to power it.

I took this approach across the board with my 86. It was basically new (with some old parts) when it hit the streets.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

I haven't read it, but it's quite popular. I think it would be time and $ well spent if you're looking to prepare yourself well before getting started.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/083760...pi=SL500_SY115
image-2582033416.jpg

"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
1978CJ7Beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #4
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Ian, PM me if your interested in this project. I've got a complete 85' CJ7 w/ 4.2l, t176, d300, AMC20 rear, D30 front (3.31) 76,000 miles. No top no doors. 91' SBC 350 and the 3/4 ton (K) 700r4. The tub has a few spots that need fixed, but it's definitely useable. The frame is cherry. SBC came out of a police car w/ 75,000 on it but lord knows how long idling so at least erring and reseal as well as the 700r4.
I can walk you through everything you need to make it work. The engine mounts I have, but you would need to source the trans to T/C adapter.
I've had the project since 99' and she is in my garage. I recently picked up an 86' Laredo so I'm going to use that. Only reason I'm letting her go. This is one stop shopping, it's exactly what your looking for.
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
sully122
1983 CJ7 

I just removed a chevy 350 with SM420 (granny 1st great) from my 83 CJ 7.. I have the bellhousing from advanced Adaptors as well.. The engine was a brand new chevy crate motor purchased in 97 and it has about 40,000 miles on it.. The trans was fully rebuilt a few years back and has about 30,000 ,lies on it.. 95% street miles as this was my daily driver Bach in the college days.. Let me know if your interested.. I'm in Nor Cal..
sully122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Before you turn the first wrench, you need time, (lots of it) money, (much more than you think) patience (almost as much as Job had) and room. (enough so that you can have several projects going on at the same time) If you don't have organizational skills, think long and hard about taking this on.

Before committing to the tub and the frame, no matter how good of shape you think they're in, expect rust and possibly cracks. CJs had no rust protection whatsoever. What can look like a nice tub when painted (even painted a long time ago) could actually be more rust than steel. I own what is supposed to be an "Arizona Jeep". It's supposed to be rust free. It is now, but it was hardly that when I started. Even though the tub was crispy from a fire, it wasn't until it was media blasted that I knew I had "significant rust issues". And as things like the floor was removed for replacing more rust was found in the supports. If I knew how much rust I actually had in my seemingly rust free tub at the beginning, I may have opted for another Jeep.

CJ frames twist and they crack. That's not the end of the world, but again, before you drop that engine and running gear onto the chassis, I'd make darn sure it was sandblasted before I commit to anything. M.O.R.E. Off Road makes some great stuff for strengthening the frame and a member here, (Jim1611) makes some great shackle hangers www.crabtreetool.com Examine the frame and repair it before you start hanging stuff on it and then find trouble.

Others will chime in. I don't want to discourage you but rather encourage you to go about it with a LOT of planning and thought involved. There are too many half started projects out there collecting dust and rust in guys' garages because they lost heart.

My project is costing more money than I ever imagined. But I also could've gone cheaper with some of my parts and equipment choices. I chose to buy American whenever I could, but that's just my choice. We all do what we have to do when it comes to stuff like that; I won't criticize financial choices.

Good Luck and keep your sense of humor!

Oh yeah, since you're a new member you're on probation until we vote you in. One of the conditions for new members is to paint their Jeep Pink. (Barbie Pink, actually) It's in the rules somewhere. You could look it up, but trust me, it's in there!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.