cj7 cobra build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 cobra build

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
snarvey
1978 CJ7 

cj7 cobra build

new to the forum, hoping this is the right place to post this.
my uncle passed and left a awesome 78 cj7 5.0 conversion halfway completed.
i am only 19 and im finding it to be quite challenging putting something together i didn't take apart.(it dose not help i only have very basic mechanical know how) anyway hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction as to where to go from here.
iv had her for about a week now and i pulled the tank and ran the new fuel lines/pump/filter and regulator. i cant decide to try and clean out the very gummed up tank or order a new one ?
also i understand the fuel pump will always be running when the ignition is on, if this is so and the jeep happens to crash/flip and break a fuel line its going to keep sparing fuel everywhere until is there some type of switch that would work in killing the pump in the case of a accident ?

my next move was going to be to try and find a radiator from the local junkyard, or go with something similar to the flex alite radiators with a much higher price tag, is it importnt to go with a fresh new radiator or just pull one?
because 800 bones for a new radiator looks rough compared to 40 at the junkyard. as far as connecting the hosses to the radiator i was planing on trailering to my local shop and looking through evrething and trying to find winner, unless you guys have part numbers )))

my power steering would be the next task, im guessing im going to need new male and female adapters from the pump to the existing hoses or should i replace everything ? just glanced over it really.

for the wiring im preaty lost and seriously considering getting a buddy with some know how or even hiring help. i have almost no electrical background, i printed out the painless diagram for the 5.0 and read throuh all of it and ended up a little more confused than to start with.

iv already measured for the front and rear axels, ready to order.

and thats as far as iv ventured into the cobra cj.
thanks in advance for any help.
also in the last picture i found this chromoly tie rod looking deal.
i cant see it fitting anywhere on the jeep ??

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...6/IMG_1012.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...6/IMG_1013.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...6/IMG_1026.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...6/IMG_1030.jpg

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...6/IMG_1034.jpg

snarvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Ahhh you have many questions grasshopper: where to begin? You have a great looking vehicle. Gas tank look inside it using a flashlight and see if it is rusted. You can get solvents to clean the inside of a tank and also repair kits. Search the forums for gas tank repair. Not sure about the pump because most Jeeps used a mechanical pump. What is wrong with the old radiator? You can take it to a radiator shop and have it rodded out and even have the core replaced at considerably less than $800.00 Finding one at a junkyard may be difficult (for a Jeep that is). What type of power steering set up do you have? you should be able to get hoses for it . If it is stock then it is a saginaw made by GM. The wiring in the photos looks like it is pretty well labeled. You can buy wiring harnesses or make your own. Or ugrade the current one. There is a lot of information in the forums about wiring and some great pictures. Welcome to the Jeep world. Look and see if there are any off road clubs or forum members near you. Generally speaking, Jeep people are good folks and willing to help and teach others. Good luck!
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarvey View Post
also i understand the fuel pump will always be running when the ignition is on, if this is so and the jeep happens to crash/flip and break a fuel line its going to keep sparing fuel everywhere until is there some type of switch that would work in killing the pump in the case of a accident ?
The fuel pump should not be running any time the ignition is on. The factory computer turns it on for a few seconds when you first turn the key to run and then it shuts it off if you leave the key on. Once the key is turned to start the pump is back on and continues to run if the engine is running and only if the engine is running. Oil pressure is what dictates this.

Ford incorporated an impact sensitive switch to cut off power to the fuel pump to cut the power in a crash so that the engine will not continue to run and/or to prevent fuel from coming out of a ruptured line. This switch was typically in the trunk of cars and behind the passenger kick panel of their trucks.

This is what the switch looked like:

Pushing the red button on top resets them.

I have wired these into the ground leg of the fuel pump of every EFI conversion I have installed for the same reason, to kill the engine in case of impact.

The factory wiring diagrams for these can be found by searching Google images for "Ford fuel pump cutoff switch". You should be using a factory Ford or aftermarket wiring harness that incorporates this switch anyhow.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Welcome to the club, hope you enjoy your new Jeep.
Quote:
iv had her for about a week now and i pulled the tank and ran the new fuel lines/pump/filter and regulator. i cant decide to try and clean out the very gummed up tank or order a new one ?
If the tank isn't too beat up, you can probably re-use it. Just use a good varnish remover and follow the instructions.

Quote:
There a few ways to go on this. You can install a manual switch to power on/off the pump (a toggle switch on the dash will get the job done). In case you are unconscious or unable to reach the switch, you can wire the power for the pump to go through a oil pressure sensor... Jeep rolls over and engine looses oil pressure (I have one set to kill power when pressure is below 5psi). Or probably the best solution is a combination of the two.

Quote:
my next move was going to be to try and find a radiator from the local junkyard, or go with something similar to the flex alite radiators with a much higher price tag, is it important to go with a fresh new radiator or just pull one? because 800 bones for a new radiator looks rough compared to 40 at the junkyard. as far as connecting the hoses to the radiator i was planing on trailering to my local shop and looking through evrething and trying to find winner, unless you guys have part numbers )))
You can use a standard Jeep radiator made for a V8. New should not cost more than $150-$200, or dig one up from the bone yard and have it cleaned up. I drove the guys at NAPA crazy when I was looking for radiator hoses... I'll see if I can dig up some part numbers for you.

Quote:
my power steering would be the next task, im guessing im going to need new male and female adapters from the pump to the existing hoses or should i replace everything ? just glanced over it really.
You should be able to use the standard Jeep power steering hoses. Only one adapter is needed at the end of the HP hose coming out of the pump. What I did though was to install a Saginaw pump on the ford motor. Its a way better pump than Ford used.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...w_pump_bracket

Quote:
for the wiring im preaty lost and seriously considering getting a buddy with some know how or even hiring help. i have almost no electrical background, i printed out the painless diagram for the 5.0 and read throuh all of it and ended up a little more confused than to start with.
The wiring is probably the worst part of the job. It's not all that complicated once you know how it all works, but it is definitely worth asking a knowledgeable friend to help. There are also some good books on the subject (search Amazon.com). Be glad its a Ford and not a Chevy... the electrical is a bit simpler.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
wonfastws6
1984 CJ7 

Top hose I used was a 71990 and the bottom was 71992 with little to no trimming to fit. Hope that helps
wonfastws6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
wonfastws6
1984 CJ7 

I did this swap last summer and used painless wiring harness if you have any questions on wiring or need visuals message me id be happy to help you.
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
snarvey
1978 CJ7 

right on thanks.
the tank looks solid so going to try and save that and the radiator. going monday to see what it cost to have the radiator redone its been outside so I'm hoping its alright.

spieg8
thats spot on with the power steering, just need the new adapter for on the motor. i have 35'' swampers for it so for 100 bones I'm going just swap the pump. rather do it now than later.

wonfastws6
where did you go to get your hoses with those number ? because all i have local is a nappa.
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
wonfastws6
1984 CJ7 

Napa should be able to cross those #'s over but if I'm not mistaken those are napa numbers
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonfastws6 View Post
Napa should be able to cross those #'s over but if I'm not mistaken those are napa numbers
Those are Dayco part #'s... but you are correct that NAPA can reference them to their own supplier.
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Search those Dayco hose#s on ebay, they came out to be cheapest for me on ebay shipped to my door. You can also use a radiator for a 6cyl with HD cooling, it might even be the same as the Jeep V8 one.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
snarvey
1978 CJ7 

so I need a new radiator
got my brakes almost complete, the two front brakes go into the regulator and comes out the regulator in larger diameter, the other outlet is a smaller size. my question is it ok if I decrease the diameter from the regulator to the master cylinder for the front brakes ?

also I think it called the bell housing under the transmission behind the oil pan, its open can see right into it, am I going to need a custom bellhouse cover ?

thanks guys.
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Not sure I follow you about the brake lines. By "regulator" or you talking about a stock Jeep proportioning valve? If so, I don't know why you would want/need to change the line diameter. Altering line diameter may be okay, but it makes me a little nervous and I wouldn't do it if it can be avoided.

As for the cover plate on the bell housing, I don't know for sure what parts you're using but assuming it is a Ford bell housing, I'm sure you can find an off the shelf cover to fit. If you're not sure which bell housing you have it may be easier to fabricate a cover from a small sheet of steel. I'd try to mock-up something out of cardboard and go to the salvage yard to find a similar part (look at old Ford truck bell housings for donor parts).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.