CJ7 clutch problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 clutch problems

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-15-2002, 05:18 PM   #1
NewbieJeeper

CJ7 clutch problems

I just bought a CJ7 Laredo from a friend of mine. The body is in rough shape and it has it's share of holes, but I LOVE it! It is fairly stock, has the 6 cyl 258 engine in it and runs well. My problem is in the clutch and shifting. First: It shifts hard, I really have to manhandle the stick to get the Jeep into gear. My clutch adjuster is fully extended, and I still grind gears every once in a while. I think that the clutch may be the problem, but could it be a worn out tranny? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Just to give you an idea of one of my clutch problems: I put the clutch on the floor with my left foot, put the CJ in first, start the engine, and begin rolling forward, even though I haven't released the clutch...

NewbieJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2002, 06:38 PM   #2
Darko

replace that clutch as soon as possible. Then post a pic of it
Unread 01-15-2002, 07:03 PM   #3
West

I've got the same problem with my 84 CJ-7. I got under it and found that the bellcrank holes were severely worn to the point that the clutch isn't disengaging all the way. I adjusted the rod as much as I dared to try to get by but it's still not enough. So I ordered all new release linkage. Everything between the pedal and the release fork. I've had to go so far as shutting off the engine when I stop just to get into first. Whenever possible I start the engine with the clutch fully engaged. I figure it's better than slipping the clutch constantly. I also have been shifting completely clutchless. I'm sure that's not really good on the blocking rings though.
West is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2002, 07:22 PM   #4
rivertrout10

I dont care how many people I piss off or offend or how many people think my next comment is out of line - BUT:

Darko - you are a complete idiot.

Now to the subject at hand:

Newbie - I dont think it is the clutch - but the adjustment of the clutch (agree with West). I take it that you are familiar Jeeps as you mention the clutch is adjusted all the way out. There a ball bearing like pivot that the release fork pivots on - it may not be there - that is a long shot but check it.

I suggest you get a manual (you can actually find it online) with a picture diagram of your linkage system and ensure you have all of the linkage system and that it in fact is original specs.

Last thing - question for the forum - if the pressure plate is worn would/could that cause this problem?

Good luck,
Derek
Unread 01-15-2002, 10:00 PM   #5
West

Quote:
Originally posted by rivertrout10:
Last thing - question for the forum - if the pressure plate is worn would/could that cause this problem?

I may be wrong but I think it is unlikely that a worn pressure plate would cause a problem like this. If it's worn on the disc side it would seem that it would result in easier disengaging. I suppose if the fingers were worn bad enough it would affect the release, but I think that would take quite a bit or wear to make a difference.

Another thing that could cause this problem would be if the input shaft was somehow binding in the pilot bushing/bearing (not sure what CJ7s use)
Unread 01-16-2002, 04:21 PM   #6
NewbieJeeper

Thanks everyone for the helpful input, especially you rivertrout10. I have a manual now and am looking at any other possibilities. I talked with my local mechanic friend and he thinks we can weld an extender to the adjuster, thus adding a little length. I'll keep you all posted and maybe I'll get a pic up soon. Thanks again.
NewbieJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2002, 07:08 PM   #7
CJ5.0

Newbie,
I had this same problem with my 78 cj5. I replaced all the clutch linkage pieces with new thinking that was the problem, but it didn't help. I bought a new pressure plate and clutch disc and when I took it apart to install them I discovered that the clutch fork was bent and not traveling far enough to completely disengage. Just a guess, but you may be having the same problem. I would still check all the linkage for problems first though. Hope this helps.
Chip
CJ5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2002, 04:33 AM   #8
JIM79CJ7

Newbiejeeper ,
Stop !!!! Dont let that mechanic near your JEEP with a "ADJUSTER EXTENDER" you'll only create more problems . Bent clutchfork ? Possible but not a common problem , I would check your linkage first,especially the BELLCRANK bracket that bolts to firewall where adjuster rod and pedal rod pivot on this. There are bushings inside and these tend to wear out . Loosen your adjuster and grab ahold of bellcrank and see (feel) how much play the is ,it should not be excessive. GOODLUCK!!!
JIM
DARKO ! Stop , Your "Guessing" !!!!!!!! READ DAMNIT READ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2002, 06:25 AM   #9
West

I finally got a chance to replace the clutch linkage in my CJ7 and it didn't help much. Looks like I'll be pulling the tranny and looking in the bellhousing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.