CJ7 clutch problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 clutch problem

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
CJDirty
1984 CJ7 

CJ7 clutch problem

My 83 CJ7 258 6cyl 5spd. Drove it to work sunday, no problems, business as usual.Never have had any problems with it. Today I get in to go to work, make it down the driveway, pushed the clutch in, put into reverse, the pedal stuck down then back up it stuck again, put it into first and the clutch pedal stuck up, then went down stuck there, put it into gear and it stuck again and again, and the jeep like slammed into gear it felt like and took off. So I only got three mailboxes down the street in first gear and turned around, and went back up the drive. Once up there i put it into reverse, but the clutch pedal did not stick at all going down, but lifting off it grabbed VERY quickly and went into gear, none of this is how it usualy acts. someone please help me with this. what is happening to it and what do I do? what parts do I get? this really rots for me becuase I just posted last week for help in my 84 that i got that stopped running and wont start.

Unread 07-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
82cjman
1982 CJ7 

so the clutch is getting stuck engaged and disengaged while both in and out of gear?
82cjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
CJDirty
1984 CJ7 

Yes, the clutch pedal got stuck when I tried to push it down, then it goes down and got stuck down then released being stuck and being in gear it caught very quickly and engaged the gear and lurched forward. hope that makes sense. after fooling with it for a few minutes it is not sticking but it is engaging the gear way to fast.
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
nussie

what do you mean by stuck. does it not return after you push it down? once it is up, can you not push it down? The gears have nothing to do with the clutch. The clutch disenagaes the power from the enginge to the transmission. when the clutch is down can you shift gears easily? being more clear with details would be helpful.
nussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
GPER
1979 CJ7 

So is your clutch linkage binding?????? You might check that first what about the peddle spring????
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
CJDirty
1984 CJ7 

what happened exactly: i started it as usual, pushed the clutch pedal down to start it, and when i put my foot on the pedal it wouldnt budge, then it gave loose and went down but felt very very tight, put it into reverse and backed out of my drive. same thing happened again as i pushed it down to take it out of reverse to put it into first. no problems with the gears. the pedal stuck at initial push down, and when down, after putting it into gear, stuck down for a brief second and came up fast, engaging the gear and making the vehicle lurch. i am trying to figure out what happened almost overnight so to speak. and as i am fooling with it, it is feeling very normal to push down and up, in neutral, then when i put it into first or reverse it lurches just as i BARELY begin to let off the pedal. ??
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
nussie

i would crawl under and check the linkage. I have heard of the shift fork coming off the ball inside the bell housing. Although i wouldn't think the clutch would disengage if this has happened. It does sound as though the clutch is not fully disenagaing by your description of the jerking. And yes most problems seem to happen overnight
nussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
82cjman
1982 CJ7 

sounds like a linkage problem to me. the tend to ware after a while and bind up. i had that problem with my 82' 258 t-4. if that doesnt fix the problem u should look in your bell housing at the fork, throut bearing, and pressure plate
82cjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
CJDirty
1984 CJ7 

well it is definitely odd. it almost sounds like it is scraping when i push down on the pedal. i am not sure how to check linkage, and it seems to engage because when i was in the street i was able to get it into gear and drive it back up the street and up my drive. the pedal seems tighter new than it was before.
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
ETJeep

I'd check the clutch linkage first. Maybe a bolt came out where the linkage bolts to the lower firewall. Have someone sit in the jeep while you're undernieth and observe the movement of the linkage. See if something's binding. (safety note:Engine off, parking brake on)

There's a rod that goes from the clutch pedal, through the firewall, That attatches to the linkage that transfers the movement of the pedal to another rod that pushes against the clutch fork sticking out from your bellhousing. Make sure nothing is sticking.
ETJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
dmask0
1977 CJ5 

i bet the two bolts that hold the linkage triangle bracket to the bellhousing have come loose or the greased joint where the pedal rod hinges into the linkage's lower unit is the problem.
sounds like you're still able to transfer foot pedal motion to the TO bearing/fork and operate the clutch - but not in an efficient manner.
either that or maybe the little spring that pulls the linkage assembly back away from the bellhousing could be snagged or not working (it connects the mechanical linkage to the bellhousing) - though this shouldn't give you any problems when pushing in - only problems on pedal return.
just get under there and have someone push the clutch pedal down. i think you'll instantly see what's not working correctly. and if you don't see anything wrong, it's inside the bellhousing.
dmask0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
CJDirty
1984 CJ7 

excellent thank you all, I will check it out and post what I find if anything. aarrrgggghhhh!
Unread 07-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
CJDirty
1984 CJ7 

!!!Here it is, I finally got time to get underneath and its the adjuster bolt. it was almost broken and when I had someone push the pedal, it broke in half. Now, any ideas where I can get a replacement?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.