cj7 with cj8 half hard top - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 83 Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

by "oringinal route", do you mean in a scrambler? With a YJ body and the rollbar on top of the wheel wells, there are no feet down in the bed. I would like to not cut the bulkhead as well, but I don't see much of an option unless I go through the support that the seat belt screws into on the bottom.

I say this because I am using a wiring harness from painless that was cut to length... I can lenghten it if need be, but it was designed for a CJ to go up and over the wheel wells.

cb

CertifiableJeep
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'76 ORANGE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Yes on the Scrambler. The 'feet' rest on braces which lean forward from the same original later CJ mount. The wire passes thru the hole (be happy to get the diam.) just adhead of this mount, then along the bottom edge of the wheelhouse in a plastic protection piece simular to the one which covered the original route on the CJ7 along and across the pillar behind the door opening.
post #33 of 83 Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

If I could see a pic or diagram, that would be great!

Thanks,
cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #34 of 83 Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I'm going to try and learn, 1. how to get photo from cell phone to computer and, 2. Posted on forum.
I'm not very smart you see. If unable I'll try to send you a photo via email. Have an appointment to give the doctor some bucks today though. I'll be in touch to save the bulkhead for Jeeps sake.
post #35 of 83 Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Oh Yea!

certifiablejeep,
And to all who read either my first or second reply, I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
The rear harness in the original route ran through the floor just ahead of the roll bar feet.
Theres nothing true about any of that for sure.

The rear wire harness passes thru the hole in the riser between the cab floor up to the rear cargo bed. It is 1-3/8" in diameter and it's edge is positioned 1/2" from the pillar wall at the rear of the door opening which is also the mounting surface for the bulkhead and is 3/4" up from the welded seam of the riser and the cab floor.

Quote:
Yes on the Scrambler. The 'feet' rest on braces which lean forward from the same original later CJ mount. The wire passes thru the hole (be happy to get the diam.) just adhead of this mount, then along the bottom edge of the wheelhouse in a plastic protection piece simular to the one which covered the original route on the CJ7 along and across the pillar behind the door opening.
I got some slanning to do here too.
The CJ8 forward roll bar mounts are set onto the cargo bed just ahead of the wheel well over the gusset/brace which extends from the same riser mounting location and uses very near the same bolt hole locations as the later CJ7 forward feet. Scramblers also have a brace inside the cab which backs up to and bolted to the cargo area brace and it mounts to the floor with very near the same hole pattern as the 7. I suppose his configuration allowed for stress reaction at the moment upon the mounting during it's most likely unintended use. and allowed near the same as existing hole pattern of the time to the existing tub part for the sake of cheap production and adaptation. With an added bit of ingenuity of the skilled craftsmen.

On the 7 one could target the same line toward the inner edge of the w.w. since its rigid, there and it affords the shortest route IMHO and has protection from the elements with a trim cover in the w.w. Stick and stones may well be a deterrent to the route but it's served the 8 very well all in all.
I'm haven't a clue whats available as a substitute but I'm sure a bit of search would produce one.

Quote:
I'm going to try and learn, 1. how to get photo from cell phone to computer and, 2. Posted on forum.
I'm not very smart you see. If unable I'll try to send you a photo via email. Have an appointment to give the doctor some bucks today though. I'll be in touch to save the bulkhead for Jeeps sake.
Well all of that one is true. Still unable to do the digital photo thing, did get a couple from a computer file to a trial post successfully but haven't been able to get the photo sent thru to computer via email. For this I am gonna do it again.

Sorry bout all that yall, sometimes I'm just ignert.
post #36 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 06:52 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the explanation, I saw your email as well, but I was trying to brave through the weather last night returning home, so I wasn't able to respond.

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so if anyone else has a scrambler and has a picture of this section it would be great to see, as this "hole" that you are referring to, I am not sure if the YJ bodies have them. NOt sure

Thanks,
cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #37 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Here is a pic of what I am talking about...

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/image...e/100_1427.jpg

The triangle hole is for the bottom seat belt mount.
The next hole is for where I had to drill to put a nut/washer behind the rocker for the poison spyder rocker knockers.

So, I was thinking I could drill a hole at the top of that pillar and then snake the wiring through for the rear... I would like to not drill through the bulkhead as if I did, first it would ruin it, and second I would have to remove the wiring to remove the bulkhead... not a good option.

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #38 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Oh yeah, she is coming along slowly but surely...

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/image...e/100_1430.jpg

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #39 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
Here is a pic of what I am talking about...

So, I was thinking I could drill a hole at the top of that pillar and then snake the wiring through for the rear... I would like to not drill through the bulkhead as if I did, first it would ruin it, and second I would have to remove the wiring to remove the bulkhead... not a good option.

cb
Hey cb,
'That hole' I'm referring to is through the riser just 1/2" away from that pillar on the CJ8. It would be located between the later model CJ sport bar lower mounting plate (foot) in the standard position and that pillar. I have the pic's stored in the new camera phone and hope to find someone today while I'm out who is able to forward them to you.

I think your idea to use the existing new hole for the rocker attachment an another added behind the pillar and above the 7's wheel well would be good and even a smaller new exit hole would accommodate the wire loom w/grommet without too much compromising of it's integrity. Considering the 8's path would place the loom within the leading end of the
7's wheel well for what it's worth I think your path may well be better.
post #40 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I think I am headed that way... a grommet down low, a grommet up high. The only issue I see is if I ever need to take the rockers off, I have to remove the wiring, not really a big deal, but it is something to consider.

Thanks again... try to get that picture up!

In order to send a picture from your phone, if you have the service, is to go in it, say send picture, type in your email address as the place you want to send it to and it will end up in your inbox... Magic!

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #41 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

That access hole, is it over or under the inner reinforcement panel within the pillar?
I'm too old to recall correctly it's location and there is too much water coming off the mountain this morning for me to make it up that slippery slope with over 6" of rain in the last 48 hours, at least down south it usually only makes for MORE MUD. Either way that inner panel has a hole in it already, IIRC.
post #42 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

That is a good question, I planned on sticking up a wire in there to make sure I could get to the top... I can't remebmer if it is above or below, but with my luck, it will be above...

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #43 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Man your real quick got your tech stuff down pat I see.
Oh and the phone stuff, I've read it and tried to see the symbols till I had it up to here. Ain't no MAGIC it's a PITA.
post #44 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I didn't need to stick anything too far up there... I stuck my finger in the hole and immediately felt the plate you were referring to. So, I guess my options are to drill another hole above that, and then anotehr up on top and snake it through, or the other would be to do what the scrambler does and go up through the way you described... I still would like to see a pic and also how it could protect the wires themselves.

I am leaning towards my first option, but I need to know what the backside of the support looks like, is there only one support brace or multiple ones?

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #45 of 83 Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 PM
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I got it up! Hi five.....
Attached Thumbnails
Jan07_0001.jpg   Jan07_0002.jpg  
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.