cj7 caster angle - what should it be? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 caster angle - what should it be?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #31
gelmhorst
1976 CJ5 

They are already installed so I guess I didn't take a really close look at it. You are probably right. The jeep is only going to be driven ocasionally on sunny days, so I am not too concerned about durability of the shims. I have not installed degree shims before and would appreciate any direction? Do I purchase longer bolts and bolt the shim to the leaf springs? Would welding the shims to the perches be stronger and more secure?

gelmhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #32
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

That would lead to my next question, please forgive if it seems a bit ignorant. Instead of turning the knuckle, would it not be easier to reset the spring perch back the required 4-5*?
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #33
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
That would lead to my next question, please forgive if it seems a bit ignorant. Instead of turning the knuckle, would it not be easier to reset the spring perch back the required 4-5*?
I believe you meant rotate the perch forward on the tube, but the question was understood.

While easier than rotating the knuckle yoke, that will also rotate your pinion down by the same amount.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #34
jraynal
1981 CJ7 

If the caster is moved negatively (axle rolled forward) due to a lift, isn't it conceivable that the pinion angle will be moved from its original position? And, the proper way to fix this is to modify the spring perchs of rotating the “Cs”?
jraynal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #35
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Yes, but that's not a do-it-yourself job that many folks can do. That requires the correct tools and skills and most likely a jig for accurate placement of the angles involved.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camber , caster , steering alignment , steering caster , toe in , toe out

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.