CJ7 Carter BBD Vacuum Line Help - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Carter BBD Vacuum Line Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #61
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxButler
The only thing that I can think of that changed is that my mixture screws went from 5 turns out from seated to 2 3/4 on the second test.
You should be around 2 1/2 to 3 turns out for idle mixture. Anything more then that is a vacuum leak. And at 2 2/3 you are good to go.

HC is unburned fuel. It could be as simple as a misfire. Is your carb the Stepoer model?

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #62
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

The what model? Im curious because my jeep wants to run at a richer mixture, it ran very smooth at 5 turns out. I guess i need to find a vacuum leak and check the timing. Also is there any way that i could test my vacuum advance. I really want to make sure that it isn't operating correctly before i go wrenching on it.
KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #63
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Now if that vacuum advance was connected, the fuel would have time to burn reducing your HC.

You just need a timing light to check your vacuum advance.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #64
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Correct me if I'm wrong here. I thing you guys are spot on with me needing to check my timing. I went out and put some vacuum line on the advance, and um.. well.. sucked on it. The little arm moved and it held a vacuum i.e i put my tongue over the hole and it held the vacuum. So from what you guys have been saying I think that, the timing is set improperly. It should be set so that the advance completely engaged with manifold vacuum at idle, thus when i accelerate the advance loses vacuum.
I'm still a little bit lost when it comes to the details of the advance. Should it be under ported or manifold(I get about 18 in of HG at idle)? How do I time it properly if its using ported vacuum? .... Iv got the big picture but im kinda at a loss when it comes to the details. Can someone walk me through whats going on here?
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #65
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Simple

Disconnect vacuum hose from distributor and plug it.

Set timing to around 8*

Reconnect vacuum hose.

Your done.

If you connect it to ported vacuum, you will not get any advance at idle.

If you connect it to manifold vacuum your timing will advance at idle which is OK because ther is no load on the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #66
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

So I dont need to do anything with the advance while actually setting the timing? Also which do you suggest using ported or manifold.
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #67
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxButler
So I dont need to do anything with the advance while actually setting the timing? Also which do you suggest using ported or manifold.
You unplug the vacuum line from the vacuum advance and plug it. Then set your timing.

I've been on manifold since at least 2006.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #68
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

UPDATE: John, 86cj, LG, Jon In Tucson. You guys were great!
I borrowed a timing light from a neighbor, plugged the advance, marked the groove and 8* with white out, and checked the timing when the engine was warm before I made any adjustments to get a baseline. It took me a while to find the groove with the timing light, it had to been at about 20+ I could barely see it. Eventually I got it down to 8* ran a little rough but I figured that it was a good thing because it would advance with the vacuum advance. With fingers crossed I uncapped it and plugged it into a manifold port. Smoothed right out and is running great! The idle is probably a little low for normal use but I had turned it down as far as I could without it stumbling to help get me through emissions.
I think the poor timing is what could have been causing my high HC emissions but if there is anything else I could rule out id love to hear it.
Thanks again guys for walking me through this!
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #69
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Get a tach and set your idle at 700-800 rpms, then recheck your timing with the VA plugged.
Your on the right path.
GOOD LUCK!
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #70
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

What am I looking for when I check the timing with the VA connected?
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #71
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Who said "connected"
Set rpms as stated and confirm timing is all.
Do testers check timing for your smog? They do here.
LG
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #72
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Sorry I miss read your post, I did check it spot on 8* warm.
No they dont check timing in AZ at least not in Tucson.
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #73
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

When do you take it back for test'n?
LG
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #74
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to go in early after the open up so if it doesn't pass, keep your fingers crossed, I'v got time to fiddle with it and maybe get it in a second time in the afternoon. Like I said before I'm in a bit of a rush to get this thing through emissions and registered as I just sold my old DD (96 ZJ). Iv have "3 day" temp plates that expire on the 9th.
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #75
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Fingers crossed
LG

Tags
carter carb , cj7 , egr , emissions , vacuum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.