CJ7 Carter BBD Vacuum Line Help - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Carter BBD Vacuum Line Help

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #196
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

I dont know about the adjusting bit but i had the wheels (both left and right) jacked off the ground and used an adjustable shower curtain rod to hold the break fully compressed. Didnt feel any resistance.
The parking break works fine so, i might be wrong, but i think that the breaks are adjusted but not getting the fluid that they need from the master cylinder. I attempted to bleed the breaks but the ports were clogged with dirt and breaking fluid ran out from around the threads.
Do you think they might just have air in the system? I did notices that the breaks were softer after replacing the front two calipers even after I bled them.

KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #197
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxButler
I dont know about the adjusting bit but i had the wheels (both left and right) jacked off the ground and used an adjustable shower curtain rod to hold the break fully compressed. Didnt feel any resistance.
The parking break works fine so, i might be wrong, but i think that the breaks are adjusted but not getting the fluid that they need from the master cylinder. I attempted to bleed the breaks but the ports were clogged with dirt and breaking fluid ran out from around the threads.
Do you think they might just have air in the system? I did notices that the breaks were softer after replacing the front two calipers even after I bled them.
You adjust the rear brakes using the little oval slot on the bottom of the backing plate. It might have a metal or rubber grommet over it.
Inside is a "star wheel", that when turn extends the pads in or out. You can use a flat screw driver or a special brake adjusting tool.

Question, did AMC put self adjusting rear brakes on the back that adjust a certain amount when one backs up?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #198
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I think the auto adjusters were a safety requirement starting in the late 60's some time. I know my 1968 roadrunner had manual adjusters on all four corners and one garage wouldn't inspect it because of that. (And the loud exhaust anyway)
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #199
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Question, did AMC put self adjusting rear brakes on the back that adjust a certain amount when one backs up?

YUP, they(and MOST)never work worth a dang either.
When you spin the rear wheel, IF the brakes are adjusted 'rite'. You should just barely hear them scrape/drag just a bit.
I still say that you need somedandperson to stand on the brakes for you to test!
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #200
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

I do hear some, i wouldn't call it scraping, but friction coming from the drums. The wheel dosn't spin supper free it slows down relatively fast.
KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #201
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits
YUP, they(and MOST)never work worth a dang either.

LG
Agree, the thought just came to mind.

Also agree with Lumpy you need some one to help. Jack it up, get it spinning, have them stomp the brake.
When you did the front brakes, did you bleed all 4 wheels?
If the bleeders are clogged, any auto parts store has new ones cheap.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.