CJ7 Carter BBD Vacuum Line Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Carter BBD Vacuum Line Help

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

CJ7 Carter BBD Vacuum Line Help

Ok I'm totally lost here and this is my SOS/distress call. My 81 CJ7 258 somehow has a Carter BBD without the stepper motor, no computer, etc.

My problem is, I'm trying to hook up the vacuum lines as proper as I can, but when i try to follow the diagrams I found online im missing some of the stuff such as a CTO or ported vacuum switch also no sol vac.

Im completely lost and haven't been able to get anywhere with research online.
How do I hook up the EGR?

-Knox

KnoxButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

It would be helfull to have a layout of the ports on my non stepper motor carter carb. If anyone has one.

-Knox
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vacuhose.htm

Home site.....
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

The problem im having is that half of the stuff on this diagram doesnt exist on my engine.

-Knox
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxButler View Post
The problem im having is that half of the stuff on this diagram doesnt exist on my engine.

-Knox
Knox,
post a picture of what you do have in the engine compartment, left side, right side, straight on, even underneath could be helpful. That 1981 factory service manual is looking better and better all the time... Check your PM's. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, don't even try to match up a BBD with a stepper BBD. there were a lot of changes in emissions laws between those years. Plus the added bonus of infant computer control.

Do you have an aluminum intake or steel intake? Makes a difference.

Here is a great link.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...46822&cmpid=cj

Here is a picture from that page:

Notice this was one of those years that the distibutor vacuum advance switched between maifold vacuum and ported vacuum depending upon engine temp.

Basically the thing to remember is, the EGR has to be connected ported vacuum and the CTO.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Knox,
Haven't heard anything for a few days. How goes the battle? Are you figuring out the vacuum hose routing for your year of CJ? Keep plugging away... God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
monahannl
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Vac Line issues

I am having similar issues, I recently took out my 2.5L and installed a 72' 4.2L inline six. It has the stock Carter carb and alum intake. I just rebuilt the carb this morn and put it back on. I can't get the thing to do anything but idle rough. I have all the vac lines plugged off except for the advance to the HEI dizzy. Timing was statically timed, exhaust is unfinished, but should start and run at least. I believe I am having carb issues because there is little else to go wrong.

1. am I missing something on the vac lines? should I be hooking up something other than the vac advance to get it to run?

2. What fuel pressure is optimum for the Carter BBD?
monahannl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

What are your fuel screws set to?

How did you set your float height?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

UPDATE: I rebuilt the carb as Jon In Tucson advised and it worked beautifully! Smooth idle and smooth at high rpms.

However I still have yet to do a full replacement of the vacuum lines because of a lack of a CTO or "ported vacuum switch" as a great deal of the important things were routed to it or from it. So I have ordered the part from Autozone and as soon as it gets here ill set to work on replacing all the lines.

-Knox
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monahannl View Post
I am having similar issues, I recently took out my 2.5L and installed a 72' 4.2L inline six. It has the stock Carter carb and alum intake. I just rebuilt the carb this morn and put it back on. I can't get the thing to do anything but idle rough. I have all the vac lines plugged off except for the advance to the HEI dizzy. Timing was statically timed, exhaust is unfinished, but should start and run at least. I believe I am having carb issues because there is little else to go wrong.

1. am I missing something on the vac lines? should I be hooking up something other than the vac advance to get it to run?

2. What fuel pressure is optimum for the Carter BBD?
Iv got a few threads on this problem that I had so to recap what I did to solve it was:
-Team rush upgrade: 78 ford f100 cap and plugs with a adapter, as well as new plugs.
-I cleaned out the venturi really good with cleaner and a fine needle (before I decided to do a full rebuild, helped with idle)
-Full rebuild of the carb. It wasn't all that dirty in fact it looked like it had recently been rebuilt leading me to believe that it was the settings that were causing my problem so I made sure to accurately adjust everything to stock settings. i.e the step up piston, the pump travel, and float level (I have a hunch the float level was way to low on my carb.)

On a side note does anyone know what the baffle that goes right behind the floats does? Mine didn't have one although there is one in the exploded view of the carb. Is it worth replacing or does it just stop the flow of gasoline behind the floats?

-Knox
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
monahannl
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L
What are your fuel screws set to?

How did you set your float height?
I set the float according to the instructions, fuel screws same.
monahannl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monahannl

I set the float according to the instructions, fuel screws same.
How many turns out after you set them to the lean best idle?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxButler View Post

On a side note does anyone know what the baffle that goes right behind the floats does? Mine didn't have one although there is one in the exploded view of the carb. Is it worth replacing or does it just stop the flow of gasoline behind the floats?

-Knox
On mine it keeps the float hinges in place.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
KnoxButler
1981 CJ7 

Sorry I'm confused, on my carb. there is a piece of metal like an inverted u that holds that little pin that the floats pivot on in place.

-Knox

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.