CJ7 Build - Take Three - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Build - Take Three

Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Double AA
1981 CJ7 

CJ7 Build - Take Three

When I bought my CJ ten years ago, it was bone stock other than shackles, fuel injection, 33's and a missing front drive shaft. At that time it was 18 years old, but extremely clean. If it had been wheeled you couldn't tell. The skid plate looked untouched and the body was pristine.

I brought it home and drove it one time, then it went into the shop for a Warn link suspension, NV4500, D44 front and D60 rear. Over the years it's gone through several major changes and revisions, but the basic drive train and overall dimensions stayed about the same.

This last build changed all that.

YouTube - CJ Metamorphosis

Double AA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

what motor did you go with? looks like a nice build...Barely any CJ left!!
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

what color you going to paint it?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Beautiful build! Just out of curiosity though, with all that work and going that big on a purpose built rig, why did you choose not to stretch the wheelbase?

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
JimNut
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
Beautiful build! Just out of curiosity though, with all that work and going that big on a purpose built rig, why did you choose not to stretch the wheelbase?

I'm pretty sure the wheelbase has been changed. If you read his last 2 sentances it sounds like everything was changed. It does not look to be a huge stretch though that is for sure.

Quote:
Over the years it's gone through several major changes and revisions, but the basic drive train and overall dimensions stayed about the same.

This last build changed all that.
Anyways, FANTASTIC build! Looks like you have a very capable and well built rig for sure!

JimNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Looks like an LS, or maybe a LM series Chevy engine.
From the looks of the wheeling, I would say that a long wheelbase vehicle is not ideal for Johnson Valley / Hammers.
Nice build
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Double AA
1981 CJ7 

Thanks guy's. It had a 5.3 which has been swapped for an LQ9. We're still working on the color, but it will be done buy T-Day. The wheelbase has been stretched to 107".

Here's a couple of video's of the Hammers from the last month. You'll also see on that You Tube page some of Motino Wash and Bronco Peak.

The Jeep's been down for over a year, I'm trying hard to make up for lost time.

YouTube - AACJ7's Channel

Double AA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.