CJ7 Build or Give up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Build or Give up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 Build or Give up

I have had my 1985 Jeep CJ7 for a number of years I purchased it for $250.00 at a Junk yard in RI the front axle was spun off the purches and the body was as you all well know rotted out. I fixed the front axle and ran it pretty much stock for a few months. It was not my daily driver but just a toy to go off road with. I decided to start a frame up restoration. It is easy to tear it all down but then when I got into it I wanted to change the axles so I installed a poison spyder full axle kit on the chasis and purchased a set of 78 scout axles (Dana 44). I had a lot of life issues in the past years and have not worked on my jeep. I moved from RI about 7 years ago. I brought my jeep with me but it came up on a trailer completely in pieces. I stuffed it in my two car garage and there it has been sitting till today. I would love to put it back together but I can't do it on my own. I am looking for some folks locally who whouldn't mind stopping by on a weekend and give me advice and perhaps even help me with some sweat equity. I am not trying to take advantage of anyone. I am just trying to find a few individuals who share the same interests to help me get my jeep back together. I have not built a social network since I moved to FL. I work late many week days. I pretty much am at the point to just junk everything and clear out my garage. I would really love to drive my jeep out but if I can't find some folks willing to help me I may have to scrap everything I have been saving all these years. I live in Ormond Beach FL so if you are local and wouldn't mind taking a look at what my project looks like and are willing to help, please let me know. Thanks

CJ7obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

I don't live near you, and I know it is not the same, but this forum is a pretty friendly and helpful place.

If you like your jeep then maybe start a worklog here and share in the internet camaraderie? I'd be happy to answer the questions I can...which aren't many but I sure can give an unwanted opinion with the best of them! xD

I hope you decide to work on it, and that you make some new friends!

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for your encouraging words.
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Don't give up on it. Mine sat like this for 11 years, piled up with junk on top of it.
It sat like that through job losses, births of kids, back injuries, and every other problem that came along. The wife nagged me to sell it for years, and I actually listed it for sale once. (at a price that was way too high).

A year after I had both the time AND money, I was daily driving it, weather permitting.

Just pick something and get it done. One small project at a time and it will come together. I felt overwhelmed more times than I can count, but in the end pulled it out.

Wish I was close by, I'd be willing to give a hand.
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

exact reason I titled my build thread section by section restoration.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

skizriz

We share the same story... Wow your Jeep came together nicely. I am trying to figure our how I can upload my pile of parts from Photobucket. Wish me luck.
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

trying to post some pics.
p1020386.jpg

Unread 01-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

more pics
p1020354.jpg

p1020358.jpg

Unread 01-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Looks like you have a good pile to work with. The frame looks solid, and am I correct that there looks to be two whole jeeps piled up in there.
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

POR 15 before top coat, 78 Scout II Dana 44 front and Back axles and more pics of my pieces Clifford Perfomance Headers 3 into 1, 3 into 1 dual exhaust. Hard Tops I have the Best top soft top also. MSD ignition including distributor and vibration coil. Weber k551 38dgas carb These pics are when the pile of Jeep pieces were in Rhode Island. I will take more pice of how I have it set up in Florida now.
p1020357.jpg

p1020356.jpg

p1020385.jpg

000_2465.jpg

000_2458.jpg

Unread 01-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Looks like you have a good pile to work with. The frame looks solid, and am I correct that there looks to be two whole jeeps piled up in there.
He has two hard tops at least... Two or more of a lot of things actually...
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

skizriz

Well You are correct to a an extent. I started with a 1978 CJ7 but when I tore it down the chasis was so far gone. I went to the junk yard to find a chasis and that is when I found the 1985 CJ7 for $250. I payed $800 for the 1978 and had to junk everyting the doors the fenders the grille the tub and the chasis. I kept the engine the axles the hard top and other odds and ends.
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

The tub in the Pic is a Omix steal tub
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
eightyfive
1985 CJ7 

No way ..stick it out. When it's all said and done you'll be happy. I waited about ten years between Jeeps. Finally just got one again and I'll tell you - nothing puts a smile on my face like the quick drive I took this Sunday. Even with no heat!

Hang in there
eightyfive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
CJ7obsession
1985 CJ7 

Tub in the pile
p1020355.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.