CJ7 brakes and disc conversion, poor performance - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 brakes and disc conversion, poor performance

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
First, Dana 300 t'cases are cast iron.
Your OEM t'case was a d'300.
Second, you will need a M/C that is built for front and rear d'brakes.
I have heard Vette an Lic. Cony M/C's may work. NOT SURE.....
What tranny you run'n?
LG
4 forward gears, stick

gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Well that tranny would be(OEM)either a T4(VERY weak and those 35's of yours will break it PDQ)or a T176(MUCHO better box).
Sure hope you can find out what you ring & pinion ratio is.
You really need to find out what your Jeep has.........
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Well that tranny would be(OEM)either a T4(VERY weak and those 35's of yours will break it PDQ)or a T176(MUCHO better box).
Sure hope you can find out what you ring & pinion ratio is.
You really need to find out what your Jeep has.........
LG
Agree, I need to be clear on my drivetrain and the cj in general, I have been a WK2 owner which gave me the jeep bug and i'm now going from luxury suv of a wk2 to relatively primitive and finicky CJ, not totally a bad thing b/c I think the cj will be a much better wheeling rig.

All I did with my last wk2 was change the oil q 6months, now I've already dumped 2 K in this thing in 3 weeks! I think the bones are ok though and it will be $ well spent.

An area Jeep shop did the axles/wheels/gearing/lift a few years ago for PO and supposedly 'did it right'. My mech thought all that stuff looked ok. The carb and brakes still need attn though

I figure it will take me many months if not longer to learn about my CJ and perhaps get to the point where I can fix some little things myself

I want to make it reliable without sinking 20K in it, here's hoping
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
dandd
1982 CJ8 

I have the same setup in a cj8 (Scrambler) with 35" all the added steel and 4 wheel disc. The MC is vette 1 1/8 with dual diaphragm booster and a adjustable rear proportioning valve (required). This setup is minimally acceptable for a dally driver.
The next step would be to increase the front braking capacity with wilwood 12" 4 piston jeep CJ upgrade. This will require 16" or larger rim, which I have. $900 ebay
Hope this helps.
http://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKi...ion=All&whl=16
dandd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.