CJ7 brake booster problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 brake booster problems.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 06-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
midwestcj
1982 CJ7 

CJ7 brake booster problems.

Does anyone know what the real differences are between the 81 and 82 brake boosters? I have a pieced together 81 cj (title says 81) then find out i have an 82 front axle. I bought the booster for the 81 before i knew parts were also an 82 and the first time i drove it i got a weird pedal feel. It is stiff when you push the pedal and no braking, then when you move through the pedal stroke it all the sudden gets easy to push and then you end up slamming on the brakes. So it is a firm pedal, then at a certain point it becomes real easy and then that causes you to mash the pedal. There didn't seem to be an adjustment rod on the Booster, just a metal dowel that can just be taken out so i am confused on adjusting it. Any help?

midwestcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

The booster should be the same for both years. I can't help with the brakes other than to say that the rod is not adjustable. Maybe the rod is rubbing on the firewall?

but...

The axles were changed from 81 to 82. They went from narrowtrac to widetrac. The 82 axle should be 4" wider than the 81. Was the rear changed also? The front axle should be about 2" wider than the back.
Unread 06-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
midwestcj
1982 CJ7 

i'll have to check again for clearance issues. Every parts house i check has one booster for 1981 and another model for 82-86 for just the booster.
midwestcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
79bornwild
1979 CJ7 

maybe your master cylinder is shot?? When you bleed the brakes, (i've tried it every way) two person bleeding is the ONLY way to do it!
79bornwild is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.