cj7, bogging out with much throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7, bogging out with much throttle

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
clydegoat
2005 TJ Wrangler 

cj7, bogging out with much throttle

ok, another post here, going way for work a couple days thought i'd get a couple extra ideas for when I get back and work on the jeep. If you've noticed my other posts, you know, if not...just rebuilt the engine, and the carb(holley 2 barrel) and thanks again to all the help on the carb. with steady throttle jeep runs GREAT but as soon as I try to get into the throttle it boggs, coughs and trys to die... I've done the nutter bypass, stock dist. and coil(plan to up grade before to long) and I still have the Cat. convert. still on. I can't believe that the Cat. hasn't been reemed out clean yet, but not sure. was going to un hook the exhaust and see if it will take more thorttle to check see if it's the cat... it anyones got any ideas that would be great...

clydegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Your situation could be caused by excessive back pressure on the exhaust system. It also could be caused by improper ignition advance. If the distributor doesn't advance the timing during acceleration you'd experience the same results.

Good Luck.......
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Is your float set correctly ?
A low float will suck the bowl dry when you put your foot into it while it's just sucking air and gasping little fuel.
Which it will fall on it's face with loss of power chugging and bucking until you let off the pedal.
Also: That Holley is quite large for the 258.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
clydegoat
2005 TJ Wrangler 

trapshooter- yea I am wondering if that Cat. hasn't been reemed out, sense it's probably from '85 it's got to be a problem one way or the other. and wasn't thinking of the dist advancing, got any good tips to test there?

Lt1cj7- yea float is set to just dribble fuel out of the window when rocked., Yea found that out to about the carb being to big..when I was looking it up on the web when rebuilding all the sights were for race cars and dirt track, if figured that was a not so good sign. I have one that atleast has smaller butterflys, but having figured out how to get that linkage to hook up, it's a little differant. i have another holley that seems smaller yet but doesn't bolt up the same.
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
clydegoat
2005 TJ Wrangler 

it's still the carb, hitting the throttle doesn't work the accel. pump. then working the pump with my hand it takes a few pumps to prime then it doesn't shoot like i think it should, but the throttle linkage doesn't do anything to it at all.
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
CJ7Sasquatch
1979 CJ7 

Did you jet it down, I'm guessing you did which means the carb is struggling for fuel when you engage the accelerator pump, which isn't squirting enough fuel to keep the engine happy. Pull the discharge nozzle out and see what size it is, then order up a couple sizes bigger, so if you have a 35 then order a 37 and 40. Summit racing and jegs carry them for about 12 bucks. There's nothing wrong with putting a Holley on a 258, they just need to be fiddled with to get set right.
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
CJ7Sasquatch
1979 CJ7 

Also FYI I don't know if you did jet it down but assume you did, common practice around here for Holley's on off road trucks is bump one jet size down per 1,000 foot over sea level, you can find out what the stock jet size was from Holley's web site, also you'll need to bump the vacuum advance spring down a size or two to help flow
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
clydegoat
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't re jet at all, it came on the jeep when I got it, engine went down so I reringed and new bearings thru out, then just did basic rebuild on the carb.
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
clydegoat
2005 TJ Wrangler 

it's not squirting anything with the accel. pump. moving the throttle doesn't even move the pump at all, thats why I think the pump, atleast right now, is the problem. then I try to work the pump by hand it it takes a few pumps to get anything to come out then it doesn't come out very well. it is all very clean so I know that it is not clogged. i'm going to get back into in, can't really tell if the arm that hits the pump is not hitting the cam? it seemed fine on the bench but now that it's on the engine the arm isn't moving with the throttle link. I've got another holley 2, that is a little smaller, in the parts cleaner now, but it has a little different linkage so trying to figure out how to make it work, the accel. pump and worked great on it, only thing different in of the two carbs is different float set up, and smaller butterflys. I'd like to use the one thats on, if I can get the accel, pump and linkage to work together right. then see how it needs tuned and can re jet or what ever is needed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.