cj7 body repair-rivet/tack weld spot fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 body repair-rivet/tack weld spot fix

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
CJ7 Vette

cj7 body repair-rivet/tack weld spot fix

as all cj owners know...looking down the side of the jeep on the rear quarter you see a nice long succession of dimples. I am about to strip/prep/repaint my cj7 and im wondering the best method to fill those areas for a nice "straight body" look.
I worry about using a bondo type filler and having it pop off a year or two down the road. any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks, Dave

update: no rust, new floors, stripped, primed, filled, blocked, and repainted with PPG Concept Garnet Metallic. Hardtop freshly painted, all trim painted in black metallic with a bit of flatener mixed in. New seats, carpet, console, roll bar pad, seat belts,dash, flares, windshield, seals, tire carrier and more!
CJ7 Vette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
thiswebs4u

Why not just get a cheap wire feed flux welder?
thiswebs4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
Brandon11130

yes x2 on that, you will thank yourself in the end and you will save a ton of money. plus it is a lot easier to weld somthing when its convenient for you, not calling up one of your friends, or leaving your car at a welding shop for days. i say just buy a welder.

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Brandon11130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

wrap the rear in diamond plate. Seen several like this, can be made to look pretty good.
Unread 05-26-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
CJ7 Vette

guess I could flux weld it...didnt think of that. dad has a couple welders and the skill to go with them so maybe I will hit him up for some help thanks!
update: no rust, new floors, stripped, primed, filled, blocked, and repainted with PPG Concept Garnet Metallic. Hardtop freshly painted, all trim painted in black metallic with a bit of flatener mixed in. New seats, carpet, console, roll bar pad, seat belts,dash, flares, windshield, seals, tire carrier and more!
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
ttrem
1986 CJ7 

err what would flux welding do? Would it fill the dimples like a bondo would except its metal?
Unread 05-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
Galt
1983 CJ7 

I doubt that body filler would pop out that easily so long as the parts are joined tightly. If your just filling in dimples like you say the body filler should work nicely.
However if you would rather not use it there is always the lead filler which is metal, almost just as easy to work with and will most certainly not lift or chip out.

Here is a link to a decently priced "starter" kit that should be enough to get the job done.
Good luck.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If done correctly, body filler would be fine to fill in those little dimples. If you want to fill them with weld, use gas and .025" solid wire to keep heat (distortion) down. Flux core bought from the local hardware store will be .035" or .030"... those will require too much heat for sheetmetal work... and will require a touch of filler in the end anyway.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
CJ7 Vette

after stripping my interior and really looking for where I have rust, I have decided to just tub swap instead of chasing rust. for someone with decent welding skills this tub would be fine but with my limited skills in bodywork it would be a nightmare and very time consuming. both rockers and passenger quarter need work and front floorpans need changed out. this jeep spent 3 years in cleveland before I bought it...and it is now showing the effects of that lol. probably just going to go fiberglass and be done with it. thanks for all the replies everyone, the wealth of knowledge on this site is astounding!
Unread 05-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

CJ7 Vette I just sent you an interesting PM...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.