CJ7 5 passenger seating options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 5 passenger seating options

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-31-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
taquito971
2008 JK Wrangler 

CJ7 5 passenger seating options

1985 CJ7

I have a wife and three small children (ages 5, 2, and <1. I got the CJ7 from a friend and it obviously doesn't seat 5 people in it's standard configuration. I'm looking at options to convert it over to carry 3 kids in addition to my wife and I. I know it's not ideal, I know I should sell it and buy a bigger vehicle. Maybe in the future, but I like this thing and the wife approves of it so it'll be here for at least a little while.

Options I can think of:
Front bench seat. I have seen pictures, I've seen them for sale, and I'm assuming I can fit three across the front. I don't really want to get rid of the front buckets if I don't have to though. I've also read about adding the front bench seat out of a small pickup.

Just adding a third belt to the current back seat. I don't think all the kids will fit side by side back there due to current car seat laws. Also, current car seats pretty much require shoulder belts and the lap belts in the back are not sufficient. FWIW though, I asked the local PD about it and they said "I don't know, it's probably ok." Go figure.

Custom "limo" seating. I have seen this done in the back of CJ8s. Obviously CJ8s have a longer wheelbase and thus have more space back there, but I still think this is a viable option.

Seatbelts/roll cage stuff:
I'm willing to, and have the desire to run a full roll cage and harnesses in the back for the kids. I'd like to have harnesses up front too.

My ideal setup would be two small bench seats (or 4 jump seats) facing each other going along each side of the jeep. Full cage with harness points so that I can keep the kids in the vehicle from being bounced around too much back there. Junkyard bench seats, like half of a split folding front seat from a Ford Ranger or similar would be ideal, because finding seatcovers and such would be a lot easier, and the seats wouldn't have to be fabbed up saving some money. A full cage based on a later model YJ family cage would be installed, allowing me continued use of the soft top, bikini top, and hopefully hard top, and harnesses to be attached appropriately.

The goal is to allow temporary seating for 5 in case of an emergency or for short trips around town (small town, no highway driving). The two oldest ones would probably ride around dirt roads and such for fun, no extreme rock crawling in the immediate future. What do you guys think? Got any ideas? Pictures of how you installed car seats and such? Pictures of the above ideas?

Brian

taquito971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
Corjw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

PM Sent..
Corjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
taquito971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Was messing around with the Jeep this morning and thought about raising the back seat up 4 inches, It appears that I would gain the few extra inches I would need by using the fenders for the edges of the seat and I could run 3 booster seats across the back, it would be snug, but it would fit. Any thoughts?

Brian
Unread 08-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

With boosters you will need shoulder straps for sure, from my figuring, you only have one in a booster now, correct? Our 5th seat came from the center of a bucket bench in the front of a 2000ish Dodge Dakota (as did our front buckets so they all match). I had to weld a bracket for it, but it is where we put our 1 year old in his rear facing seat. My 5 year old and 3 year old are still in car seats, because of that they only need a lap belt to hold the car seat into the rear CJ7 bench. If we grow any larger in our family either we need to not all ride together or we need to look CJ8. My buddy had a Scrambler and ran two rear bench seats across the back, he seated 6 comfortably.

I can get you a pic of the front if you are interested...
Unread 08-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
taquito971
2008 JK Wrangler 

A quick picture would definitely be appreciated!
Unread 08-31-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

PM me your e-mail address and I will e-mail them to you.
Unread 08-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
taquito971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have two in boosters right now.
Unread 09-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
kjhibbs
1981 CJ8 

For the boosters you would have to fabricate a rear hoop to your roll cage with some threaded bungs welded into the sides of the hoop for the shoulder attachment point of the seatbelt. My cage has that for the front seats. If you would like a pic of that too let me know.
Unread 09-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
taquito971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhibbs View Post
For the boosters you would have to fabricate a rear hoop to your roll cage with some threaded bungs welded into the sides of the hoop for the shoulder attachment point of the seatbelt. My cage has that for the front seats. If you would like a pic of that too let me know.
I'm thinking I'll skip the 3 pt belts and move right to 4pt harnesses in the back by adding a bar across the back of a modified YJ cage.

Brian
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
mundy1
1976 CJ7 

Here is what I did.
I built a riser for the factory bench making it even with the wheel wells so I could use all the space between the roll bar. I then went to the u-pick junk yard and scavenged several different style seat belt anchors for use with the anchor straps that come with the car seats. The center seat uses the factory lap belt for now but this winter I will be installing a belt with shoulder restraint for him and for us in the front.
When building the roll bar it was tight with my soft top frame. This became the limiting factor of where the cross bar went so it will still allow the frame to be folded down when the top is removed.
When my twins out grow the car seats boosters like the center will fit across and use standard 3 point seat belts all the way across the back.

mundy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
mundy1
1976 CJ7 

1 More photo.
Sorry, It does not work. The wife had helped me with the others and I thought I could do it.

mundy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
taquito971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Now that is a slick setup. I was thinking of using a Tuffy drawer under the seat but you raised yours a bit higher than the drawer alone would support. About how high is it from the bottom of the seat to the floor? Thanks for the photos!

Last edited by taquito971; 09-01-2008 at 03:31 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.