CJ7 258 Running Issues!!! Please Help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 258 Running Issues!!! Please Help!!

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

CJ7 258 Running Issues!!! Please Help!!

I have had a 1986 cj7 for about 4 months now and still cannot get it to run right. Here is the story: Jeep came with the factory carter. It would start and idle pretty good, but would die when you drove it a few feet (longer on flat ground). I thought the carb was the issue so I installed an MC2100 that I rebuild. Took me a while to get everything right (pulled the tank and cleaned out bad gas), but I finally got it starting and running again. Now I am having the same problems!!!

It will start and idle and rev all day, but when I drive it will die. I can get going down the street, it will do good for a few hundred feet, then it will start cutting in and out and eventually die. If i feather the throttle I can get it back home. After I get parked again it will start and idle for a little while and die again. If I let it get cool again it will repeat the process: start and idle and rev great all day long, but cut out and die when I try to drive it.

My question is could this be an ignition problem??? I have done everything possible to the carb, rebuilt 1.08 venturi with 47 jets and thermal choke). No vac leaks.

Please Help!! I have to get this thing going.

HydraulicKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

when mine did that it was a vac leak from the brake booster. how is the fuel flow is fuel filter positioned right? post up some pics, we love pics.. good luck keep us posted!!
rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No brake booster. I replace the fuel filter with a factory style one. I blew out all the fuel lines when I cleaned the tank. Here is a couple pics. I'm running the PCV and Vac advance only right now. Everything else on the carb and the canister is plugged.
img_2023.jpg   img_2026.jpg   img_2024.jpg   img_2027.jpg  
Unread 01-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Sound like a vac leak to me too. That said, I had a similar problem with a camaro years ago. Would idle fine, rev OK also, but not drive very well. After giving up on that sbc 327 figuring something enternal was bad I swapped in a very healthy sbc 350. Upon starting I blew the muffler right off the pipe. Turns out it had broken inside and was restricting exhaust flow. I later replaced the 350 with the original 327 and all was good.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum app
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

First thing I'd do is get that fuel filter away from the valve cover. I't's probably not the problem, but that's not a safe location for it.

Is that as far as the choke plates close when you set the choke? Or is that the position they are in when you shut the warm engine off? Also, check for any goo oozing out the back side of the ignition control module.

Lastly, I see you've capped off the vapor canister except for the tank vent. If the filter in the bottom of the canister is caked with mud, your tank may not be vented. Have you taken a run with the gas cap off?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback.
The muffler was replaced with some long glass packs (not too loud). It seems to be getting good exhaust flow.

I agree with moving the fuel filter. I'm going to do some trimming/fitting with all of the vac, fuel, and coolant lines when I get it going.

The choke plate does close a little more than that. I think it is set at 1/16" - 3/32" at cold start. It open more when the engine is warmer.

I will check the gas vent. Earlier when I pulled it back in the garage it did have kind of a surging/variable idle that may point to a vac leak. It just seems weird that it only shows itself when trying to drive the vehicle. upon cold start it idles and revs really well. Much better than the carter did.

Ill test the fuel vent and report back. Thank you for the help.
Unread 01-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'd focus on the choke for a moment.

When the engine is cold, the choke plates should close fully. Then, when you first fire it up, the choke plate should open slightly. On most carb they will "pulloff" about 3/16". As the engine warms the choke plate should gradually open until they are almost vertical.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have definitely battled the choke and am not sure if it is setup right. I have it set to where I pump the pedal and it will fire up and run at about 1K RPM. I let it idle at this for a while then pump it again to step it down to around 700-800 RPM (don't have a tach). The choke will SLOWLY open, but I have the thermal intake port plugged because I causes a vac leak if I leave it open. I have a manual choke kit that I'm tempted to install. I'm not sure if manual is the more reliable way to go, but I am thinking it may be my best option since I'm struggling with setting up the auto choke. I have also battled the fast idle a bit as well , but it seems to work well enough. I do not have the choke pull off solenoid.
Unread 01-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My assumption is if it idles and revs well, it should also run well, but I'm sure there are many other variables that I am missing.
Unread 01-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have you Nuttered the ignition? You do not have the BBD carb so there is no point in the emissions system being left in.

As you are probably aware the CEC computer alters the ignition timing based on inputs from variou sensors and switches as well as the carb. If you have the same emissions distributor it was set up with limited mechanical advance and relied on the CEC computer to do the rest, which it did poorly.

Have you checked that you have reliable fuel flow? By this I mean do you have any means of checking, such as a clear piece of fuel line etc that you are getting fuel in there when it is running and not a fuel and air mixture.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just got back from some travel. its around 60 degrees so I messed with the Jeep today. I pulled the gas cap to check the tank vent and I saw no difference. I have not checked the fuel flow, but I did have a clear filter on there and it stayed about 80% full. What would cause air to get in the lines?
Unread 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I nuttered the Jeep today and still have the same problems. I also unhooked the exhaust to check the cat. No difference. It really feels like it is flooding out. Sometimes after it dies it wont start unless I let it set for a while I'm at a loss here and really need some help here.
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #13
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

Does it have electric or mechanical fuel pump?
rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydraulicKnight View Post
Just got back from some travel. its around 60 degrees so I messed with the Jeep today. I pulled the gas cap to check the tank vent and I saw no difference. I have not checked the fuel flow, but I did have a clear filter on there and it stayed about 80% full. What would cause air to get in the lines?
Air gets in from pinhole leaks caused from the ethanol in modern gas. It dries out the rubber lines so they crack and rots out the steel lines from all the water it carries.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #15
HydraulicKnight
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It is the stock mechanical pump. I have checked the pump by taking the carb inlet line off and cranking gas into a cup. Seemed to be pumping fine. I will check the flexible gas lines at the tank for cracks, but they appeared to be in good shape when I pulled the tank. I'm going to do a tfi ignition upgrade along with new plugs to eliminate the distributor, plugs and wires as the culprit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.