CJ7 258: How do you fix the Charcoal Canister? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 258: How do you fix the Charcoal Canister?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Minisink1

CJ7 258: How do you fix the Charcoal Canister?

I have a 1987 CJ7 with the 258 engine and I want to try to change the filter on or get a new Charcoal Canister. Does anyone have any info on how to do this, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Minisink1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
4XGore
2 chicks at the same time

1980 CJ7 

Very good question. I removed mine last month and have not been able to track down another one. I know some here have used one from a totally different vehicle like a toyota truck or something. I'll be watching this thread.
4XGore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
21usmc47
1983 CJ7 

Likely it is not an 87 cj7, maybe a 77 or 86 those keys seem to be pretty close. The filter is easy cheesy. I believe a 3/8 socket plus extension and a 1.68 filter. Remove the bolt that holds the cannister and flip the cannister upside down. Tear, chew or whatever you have to do to get that old filter out and then just slide that new one in. Replace the cannister tighten all bolts; sit back and enjoy your hard work.
21usmc47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Minisink1

It is an 86 (its been a long day) where do you get the filter itself. Also, thank you for the walk through.
Minisink1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
tshuelsman
1978 CJ7 

Can I take out the canister?....do i really need it?
Unread 08-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

Parts stores will have the filters by the breather filters and PCV valves. I've always seen it folded over in the package so its not as obvious on the rack if you are looking for a big round disk.
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

You can get the filters at parts stores, if not, just get a new canister from a YJ.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
ivaskaj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I ripped the canister off my monte carlo with no ill effects. Just plugged all the hoses at the carb,and plugged the other line that went down the frame. If you have to worry about a smog test, don't take it off. I'm about to remove it on the Jeep to get rid of some clutter.
Unread 08-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivaskaj View Post
I ripped the canister off my monte carlo with no ill effects. Just plugged all the hoses at the carb,and plugged the other line that went down the frame. If you have to worry about a smog test, don't take it off. I'm about to remove it on the Jeep to get rid of some clutter.
When your Monte suddenly bogs down on the highway and acts like it ran out of gas, remember that you have blocked the gas tank vent.... Opening the gas cap will get you going again...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minisink1 View Post
I have a 1987 CJ7 with the 258 engine and I want to try to change the filter on or get a new Charcoal Canister. Does anyone have any info on how to do this, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
They call it an emissions filter or an evaporation system filter. It costs about $2.00. The first one is a bear to dig out, but ones after that just tuck in.

To see if the canister is good or not, at idle, trace the PCV line to the back of the carb, and from there down to the canister. Then at idle pinch off this line to the canister. If the idle changes, the canister purge valve is worn, when it shot, the idle will surge.

If it is acting like it is running out of gas and boggy at speed, the canister filter is bad. To test this, crack open the gas cap after running for a while to see if the rpm changes.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 09-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
icsssh
1986 CJ7 

Following up on Mike's Charcoal canister test suggestions--when I pinch the vacuum line from the carburetor at the canister, my idle goes waaaay down. Do I need a new filter, a new purge valve, or a new canister? Or do I start with the simplest (the filter) and work to the more complex (the entire canister)? Could this be causing my high-speed, bumpy road gags/stalls?
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My 'fix' for a bad canister valve (failed the purge line pinch test) was to plug all the lines except the tank vent. so the canister can still act as the tank vent and filter fumes but it doesn't affect idle.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsssh View Post
Following up on Mike's Charcoal canister test suggestions--when I pinch the vacuum line from the carburetor at the canister, my idle goes waaaay down. Do I need a new filter, a new purge valve, or a new canister? Or do I start with the simplest (the filter) and work to the more complex (the entire canister)? Could this be causing my high-speed, bumpy road gags/stalls?
You should verify the plumbing is proper to it before getting a new one, those things are expensive.

You are describing a failed purge valve which is a $0.15 piece of rubber that tears and a possible dirty air filter on the bottom. 'Or' the wrong plumbing and a dirty air filter on the bottom. There is no fix that I am aware of for a dead purge valve.

The canister purge signal is supposed to come from a spark ported carb nipple like the one on the valve cover side or front corner of the Carter BBD carb. This signal then gets routed through the CTO valve so the canister is only active when you are warmed up and at speed on the throttle. I would want to verify this small vacuum line wasn't sucking at idle.
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm View Post
My 'fix' for a bad canister valve (failed the purge line pinch test) was to plug all the lines except the tank vent. so the canister can still act as the tank vent and filter fumes but it doesn't affect idle.
That works for a short while until the canister's charcoal element saturates with gas fumes which turn into liquid gas which plugs it up and smells.
Unread 09-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
icsssh
1986 CJ7 

While I try to track down a new canister, what's the best interim "solution":
1. unplug and seal all but the gas tank vent, leaving it plugged in to the canister?
2. leave the canister in place with all lines connected, and w/o a filter?
3. unplug and seal all but the gas tank vent, letting it vent into the air, with no canister at all?

Has anybody dealt with Mopar USA (http://moparusa.net/)
They list a replacement canister for $62--but I don't want to wait a month for them to get it in stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.