CJ7 258 to 360 V8 Swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 258 to 360 V8 Swap.

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
marcaurell
1979 CJ7 

CJ7 258 to 360 V8 Swap.

Apologize for my bad English but I am from Austria / Europe and write and do not speak often in english.

My Friend and I have also the project v8 conversion on cj7 currently running on.
(see Photos)

Two questions: First, the engine is completely overhauled. But AMC V8 engines mabe should be have a problem with the lubrication of the fuelpump and the Distributor. What should I do? In addition, there will be problems if the oil pump is new and empty, is that true ??

We use the 3-speed T150 transmission The gearbox bellhouse has centered above a hole and when there was a six-cylinder screws (cylinder, this has not, you can simply drill and cut a thread?

One more question what kind of alternator and starter do you recommend (Upgrade)

Fotos: The old Heart:

The new:

The Car:

This Year Christmas Lights:

marcaurell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
slomo19er
1983 CJ7 

Pack the oil pump with Vaseline or any other petroleum jelly. Or you can prelube the motor which would mean you don't need to pack the oil pump. Remove the distributor. Cut the flat blade end from a very large screwdriver. Just cut the handle off as you'll need the length. You can compare the screwdriver to the bottom of the distributor, should look similar. Look down into the block where the distributor goes. You will see a large flatblade slot. Insert your large cutoff flatblade screwdriver shaft into a 1/2" drill. Spin the sucker CLOCKWISE and watch for the oil pressure to build.

slomo
slomo19er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
marcaurell
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo19er View Post
Pack the oil pump with Vaseline or any other petroleum jelly. Or you can prelube the motor which would mean you don't need to pack the oil pump. Remove the distributor. Cut the flat blade end from a very large screwdriver. Just cut the handle off as you'll need the length. You can compare the screwdriver to the bottom of the distributor, should look similar. Look down into the block where the distributor goes. You will see a large flatblade slot. Insert your large cutoff flatblade screwdriver shaft into a 1/2" drill. Spin the sucker CLOCKWISE and watch for the oil pressure to build.

slomo
Thank you very much simple but effective.
Unread 11-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

When I put an AMC V8 in my Jeep, I did not use the top center bolt. I would not worry about it.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

I always pack the oil pump with vasoline even though I always prime the engine. Make sure you use a 1/2" drill too and not a 3/8 cause you will smoke the 3/8. I am using a gm one wire alt and a stock starter on my 360 with no issues with either one. And thanks for starting your own thread. You will get more personalized responses that way and not clutter up other people's threads with stuff not pertinent to their question.
Unread 11-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

Forgot to add that is a nice organized garage and a clean jeep you have
Unread 11-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Don't forget to use the 360 flywheel and dampener (at the front of the engine). DO NOT re-use your old flywheel and dampener. These 2 bits are used to balance the whole rotating mass of the engine, and are specific to each engine size.
Also, you will LOVE the results of your work. This jeep should have a lot of power and sound great!
Welcome, good luck (Bon Chance?) and keep the pictures coming!
Unread 11-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

To prime the oil system, I use an old distributor I cut off just below the top. I then use the shaft (with out the gear on it) to en gauge the oil pump. The body of the distributor will fit into the block tightly. I then chuck the shaft up in a drill and pump away.
img_0696.jpg

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
marcaurell
1979 CJ7 

delete
Unread 11-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
marcaurell
1979 CJ7 

Another Question: Can i use the stock engine speedometer from the 6 cyl at the 8 cyl engine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
Don't forget to use the 360 flywheel and dampener (at the front of the engine). DO NOT re-use your old flywheel and dampener. These 2 bits are used to balance the whole rotating mass of the engine, and are specific to each engine size.
Also, you will LOVE the results of your work. This jeep should have a lot of power and sound great!
Welcome, good luck (Bon Chance?) and keep the pictures coming!
In the Front i use this:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...view/make/jeep

and in the rear this:

http://www.omix-ada.com/catalog/prod...category/1500/

I hope this are the right parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.