cj6 or cj8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj6 or cj8

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-23-2002, 06:32 PM   #1
kenfyoozed

cj6 or cj8

I hope someone can help me. Iwant to get a jeep, cj 6 or 8, but cant decide. What is the major difference besides the cj6 based on a cj5, and the cj8 on the cj7. Is that correct? Are body sizes and measuremsnts the same? The reason I ask is I have found More body accessories for the CJ8. will they work on the cj6? Mostly looking for a hardtop either one. Which would be easier to make a daily driver with weekend duty on the trails? I know thats a lot of questions but i need answers so i can find the PERFECT jeep.

kenfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 08:42 PM   #2
Jeebus

They both have similar wheelbases, 101" for the CJ6 and 103" for the CJ8. The biggest difference is the pick-up bed on the CJ8. The CJ6 doesn't have that.
Jeebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:08 PM   #3
kenfyoozed

Ok, but i have seen pictures of both, and with Full soft tops they look the same. Is there something I am missing about the rear of the body tub? How does the pickup bed differ?
kenfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 10:42 AM   #4
PostalCJ-8

OK, picture a CJ-5, cut behind the door and streched to a little over 100 inches in wheel base, done. You now have a CJ-6. Now, onto CJ-8's. Take a CJ-7 and do the same cutting and streching. Then cut it again behind the rear wheel well and strech it there too. Then you have a CJ-8. The wheel bases are about the same, but the CJ-8 is longer. As for a choice, I would pick a CJ-8 (personal preferance due to looks and extra space). If I was going to build something that would not be smog leagal... the CJ-6 would be the better (older, pre-emissions). Hope that helps, and welcome to the board.
PostalCJ-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 11:12 AM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

If you're gonna wheel it, the CJ-6 doesn't have the rear overhang that the CJ-8 does.
Unread 06-24-2002, 11:21 AM   #6
Steelhead

Since you want a daily driver with only week end wheeling I would definately go with the CJ-8 because there is more after market stuff aavilable and many of the newer parts from YJs&TJs will adapt more easily to the CJ-8.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 11:32 PM   #7
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Kenfyoozed,
There are many differences between the 6 and 8....much more than one is 5 based and the other 8 based. Not only are there body sections that appear to be the same, but aren't(such as windshield, dash, fenders, ...),there are big differences in driving characteristics. If comparing stock for stock:
The 6 will have 4 wheel drum brakes, narrow track axles, may or may not have a tailgate, low back seats, a open c channel narrow frame, a wheel base of 101 for pre 72 and 104 after 72,etc, etc
As said before, like a 5 in drivetrain and most sheetmetal, but not any 5, the 5's of that time.
The 8 will have wide track axles, a wider frame, 104 inch wheelbase and share most the sheetmetal( not tub of course) as a later 7. I believe only the 81 8's have the narrow track axles. The 8 will also have a sway bar.
As a daily driver, the 8 wins hands down. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade/sell my 6 at all!, but it drives like a farm tractor with no power anything and lots o'swaying in corners. My 7 is like a sports car on rails compared to the 6. I just drove back from GA for 4 hours doing 75 to 85 most of the time ,no prob. I wouldn't dream of trying that in a 6. It's just a different beast. Also as said before, many more parts for the 8 and 7. I too am in Mobile, Email me and I will gladly let you check out my 6 for a hands on look at body and tub differences.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 12:40 PM   #8
nuzzy

'81 CJ-8s did have the widetrack axels. I believe they started putting them in the CJ-7s in '82. Remember if the overhang is a big deal, you can always chop it off. This is done pretty regularly. Another point is that only 27,000 8s were made. Both are very cool rigs and you'd be lucky to have either one.
Unread 06-25-2002, 03:06 PM   #9
PostalCJ-8

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by nuzzy:
<strong>'81 CJ-8s did have the widetrack axels. I believe they started putting them in the CJ-7s in '82. Remember if the overhang is a big deal, you can always chop it off. This is done pretty regularly. Another point is that only 27,000 8s were made. Both are very cool rigs and you'd be lucky to have either one.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As a Scrambler owner I would like to say one thing... Don't hack up an 8, go strech a 7 if you want a longer wheel base.
PostalCJ-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 03:59 PM   #10
Gr8lite

Here is my 2cents worth. In my yard right now are 2 CJ6's and 2 Cj7's and 1 CJ8.As far as an every day driver go 8! If you want a neat(keyword neat)
driver go 6 ! For your basic beater trail rig get a 7. The 6 has a certain mystic about it. There are even Jeep guys who have never seen one. You can make a 6 really streetable. Buy what turns YOU on not what everyone else tells you to buy! We are humans we can adapt! Good luck in whatever you decide.
Unread 06-25-2002, 04:04 PM   #11
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

AMEN! POSTAL CJ-8!
While at the Dixie Run in Tellico, I saw so many 8's with YJ front clips and or the hacked rear (bobtail). They want the the stability that the longer wheelbase gives them, but not the extra overhang from the "bed". I love that my 6 has the rear body section like a 7 with the wheelbase of an 8. If your going to do the extream rock crawling or such , do it do a common Jeep or a junked one. Don't hack up a rare model. At first,I entertained the thought of making my 6 into a crawler, but the frame isn't up to it and it's too rare of a Jeep. Instead, I got a wrecked 7 and am putting it together from there.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 04:20 PM   #12
nuzzy

I'll agree with you all on not hacking up 8s. My dad has one and I love that thing. I just meant that it is an option if one so chooses. The rear overhang really doesn't cause as many problems as people assume. We've had the Scrambler all through Moab's toughest trails and never been hung up. And as far as ourhome terrain goes here in the northwest, no problems at all. Like Gr8lite said, go with whichever one tickles your fancy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.