CJ6 build - here I go again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ6 build - here I go again

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

CJ6 build - here I go again

well - the 64 cj5 is runnin well - just must be the time of year, the itch to build has struck again.

Here's the scoop - there was a cj6 that had the axels removed for use in another jeep - it sat long and lonely

it cost nothing

I have the time and need something to keep me out of trouble

the jeep bone yard is about to be thined out some more - drive train, suspension details to be posted up once I decide on which one gets parted out - there are about 3 cj5's with bad frames rotting away - lots to choose from.

the body was toast - nothing to save other than the front clip and it is rough as you can see, may just be building a 6 body from a 5 unless I discover one.

Currently the plan is to utilize an electrolisis system, to remove the rust from the frame - I'd like to then have it galvanized, but with all the unkowns as far as engine mounts and shock tie ins, not to mention body mounts, it may just get some penrust enamel for now
time frame on this is open - no clue how crazy it'll gete - but as they say, the second time is the charm, mabe it'll cure me

molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

just grabbing a front row seat for the show

oh, and I've said it before, and I'll say it again; CJ6's are COOL!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

There is a CJ6 in the poconos, Pa area for sale on craigslist for $2000. Its been on there for a while. Here is the link if you are interested.
http://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/880805141.html

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjinPA View Post
There is a CJ6 in the poconos, Pa area for sale on craigslist for $2000. Its been on there for a while. Here is the link if you are interested.
I NEED that!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjinPA View Post

oh - forgot to mention in the intro post - the first build ('64 - cj5) was a budjet build - 2k was the total for the entire build.

this build dosn't have a budget - least not yet
Unread 10-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

Whoa. This speedometer is going to top 100mph!

You did a great job on the last one, cant wait to see this one.
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Gonna be watching this build too. I'm already one Jeep down, with the rate I'm working on my heep, I'll be two down.....
Unread 10-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

This is the best thing...when a guy sees the potential in a scrap heep and brings it back to life.

Good luck to you and keep us abreast on the progress (did he just say "abreast?")

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.

Last edited by CopperCJ7; 10-26-2008 at 07:46 AM..
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

welp - should have some interesting pics tomorrow afternoon - it's gonna be a rainnie day around here so I plan to use a system i found durring the last build for removing rust from small items - electrolisis.

I will be doing it on a bit larger scale than what I played around with the last time - the current plan as of 3pm today is to have a buddy come over and help construct a tank roughly 5' X 16' about 2 - 3' deep in my garage and sink the whole darn frame.

definalty posting of results ether way, but if it is anythin like I have seen thus far result wise, the effort to build the tank will be well worth it - slick system for sure for rust removal - hey worst case senerio - I get teh frame wet and waste time while drinkin brew

glad I never really sealed up the garage and it is detached from the house what with Hydrogen as a bi product.

the frame has been stripped since this spring, wishing I had saved what was left of the body for measument purposes, but the thing literally crumbled off. Need to find a source of info on the body demensions of a cj6 as the plan is to stretch a cj5 body from a donor (anyone know of a thread they could point me to?).

The same doner will provide the engine, trannie, axels and such - detils to follow there. If I pick up the donor this weekend, i'll get a few pics of that we'll see how the weekend goes.

Planning stage quickly comming to an end - bout time - I like gettin dirty, n drinkin brew
Unread 10-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i am looking forward to this build as well. cant wait to hear the results of the electrolysis tank.
Unread 10-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

well help never did arrive and thou I am a bit of a bear strength wise, manhandeling a frame into a tank is not possible for one. Removed some of what will be extranious stuff from the frame - back bracket and bumper, transmission cross member, sterring wheel and links, pedals, frame mounted brake master. spent mabey 2 hours with the blue tipped wrench. The more I look at the frame, the more I realize just how good a shape it is in.

So I got to thinking it over - build a tank, put the frame in it with 1200 gallons of water, add to that mabe 2 dozen boxes of baking soda, electrodes, electricity ........ daunting at best

looks like the science experiment is on hold for now and the cup brush is comming out tomorrow.

the frame is much cleaner than the first one, there isn't a speck of flaky rust on it anywhere - just minor surface. by my estimates, I could have it ready for POR 15 in less than 3 hours. I remember when we were stripping the engine out thinking how good teh frame looked - now that I have spent time lookin just at the frame - I'm happy
Unread 10-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

You'll have to keep us up to date on this one. Boy that thing looks rough, but then again the '6s are RARE! Good luck, having a CJ-6 will be very cool.
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

Molson...
You probably know of this site, but http://www.boyink.com/splaat/ssdutch/
This should give you hours of inspiration.
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsenice View Post
...the plan is to stretch a cj5 body from a donor (anyone know of a thread they could point me to?).
I would give www.willysoverland.com a call and see if they still have the CJ6 panels that fit behind the door opening. The 6 got it's stretch in that area, so the side is actually three separate panels. (I've got a CJ6 door opening panel on the driver's side of my jeep joined to an aftermarket rear panel for a CJ5). If ya can get the left/right panels, then all ya gotta do is put some flat sheet metal in to extend the floor behind the front seats.
Unread 10-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
jamaicanmecrazy
1994 ZJ 

Man you would have to pay me to take that away! Then again this will probably turn out to be one of them OMG I can't beleive the job he did jobs.
Ok keep me from dragging this home today http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/866669935.html

You might want to call this guy for parts
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/pts/850436944.html

Keep the pics coming
jamaicanmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.