CJ5's and OEM center concoles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5's and OEM center concoles?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

CJ5's and OEM center concoles?

Did the CJ5 come from the factory with a center console? I'm refering to the plastic ones that came in the CJ7. Thanks

Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
tacjeep99

Center consoles did not become available until the 77 model year. I know because I bought a brand new 76 CJ-5 and bought the console for it after I saw one in a 77. Saw it in a new 77 "Limited Edition" Golden Eagle CJ-5 sitting on the showroom floor at Earl Kirk AMC Jeep IIRC.

I don't think the center console was standard unless it was part of a decor package or ordered as an option.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Thanks for the reply. I don't remeber ever seeing one in the 5. I know the came in alot of 7's. I picked one up yesterday that was out of a 7 ( the plastic OEM type) and it doesn't fit in my 5 (78). I can make it fit by triming the back of the console, maybe. It needs to go back about an inch.
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

That's what i did to make mine fit until i got my Tuffy.
Even the tuffy has some strange mounting for the CJ 5
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

I have one in my 81 CJ5. If it fits in an '81, it should fit in a '78.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
I have one in my 81 CJ5. If it fits in an '81, it should fit in a '78.
This is the OEM console? The one I have the contors on the bottom of the console don't match the contors of the floor in the 5 unless I trim the back of the console. I hope my explantion is understandable. Other than that I guess you could say it fits size wise. Thanks
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5ERNIE View Post
This is the OEM console? The one I have the contors on the bottom of the console don't match the contors of the floor in the 5 unless I trim the back of the console. I hope my explantion is understandable. Other than that I guess you could say it fits size wise. Thanks
Your explanation is good and I think that we are talking about the same thing. Mine is a factory console with the contoured base. Here is a picture of mine (at least the best one I have right now... you can see the front of it under the blanket. I can get some more pictures tomorrow if you think it would be helpful.)

[/URL]

I am surprised that it doesn't fit because I thought the tubs were same between '78 and '81 (minus the different roll bars). Either way, I hope that you are able to get it mounted up the way you want. I know mine is pretty handy and I like the lower profile because it makes it easier for people to climb in the back.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
Your explanation is good and I think that we are talking about the same thing. Mine is a factory console with the contoured base. Here is a picture of mine (at least the best one I have right now... you can see the front of it under the blanket. I can get some more pictures tomorrow if you think it would be helpful.)

[/URL]

I am surprised that it doesn't fit because I thought the tubs were same between '78 and '81 (minus the different roll bars). Either way, I hope that you are able to get it mounted up the way you want. I know mine is pretty handy and I like the lower profile because it makes it easier for people to climb in the back.
That's the same console and I think the tubs are the same too. not sure what I'm doing yet. I've got more urgent things to work on first. Thanks
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
tacjeep99

I liked having the OEM consoles in my CJ-5 and CJ-7, but I will say the cup holder placement was a bit awkward.

I am not sure, but I thought the CJ 5 console and CJ 7 console were the same length. Are they?
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Cant be, I tried the a CJ7 center console in my CJ5 and without cutting it would hit the gear shifter.
I had to cut out a couple of inches on the bottom to make it fit.

Cj5 and CJ7 tubs are not the same, the CJ 7 tub is 10" longer and I think most of that is behind the seats.
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

CJ-5 and CJ-7 factory console are the same but the CJ-5 version is cut in the back to go over the rear floor riser. I have seen a few on eBay for sale with the factory cutout awhile ago.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #12
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
CJ-5 and CJ-7 factory console are the same but the CJ-5 version is cut in the back to go over the rear floor riser. I have seen a few on eBay for sale with the factory cutout awhile ago.
There you go. Thanks Keith!
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ah!
Then My cutouts are "Factory"
Sweet.
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
tacjeep99

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I recall the back of my console for my CJ 5 having cut out now that you mention it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.