CJ5 Wiring Harness Identification Questions - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Wiring Harness Identification Questions

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 01-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #46
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Are all those black wires ground?

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #47
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

yes

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #48
dubya5813
1979 CJ5 

going to need this thread soon, 'bout to go through my wiring.....and I'm not very good when it comes to wiring issues....
dubya5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #49
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It did get rather detailed didn't it?
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #50
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

yes it did get a bit detailed, what did you think of my many ground wires John? Was there a better way I should have taken care of all the grounds coming off the dash? My plan is to run all those grounds to one ground bus bar and then bring in a large gauge ground wire from the battery to the bus bar. Sound ok?

David
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #51
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Sounds OK to me...
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #52
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

well I finally got the jeep running. Most everything is wired up and working with the exeption of a few quirks here and there. Still left to wire in our the new LED tail lights, electric choke, and manifold heater.

One of the odd quirks that I am fighting right now is that two of my gauges on the dash are always lit when the battery is connected. The other 5 + indicator lamps come on as they should when the light switch is pulled out. I have noticed however that the dimmer function on the switch doesn't work very well. I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad switch and that is causing those two lights to always be lit? I can't understand why just these two would be constantly lit, I came off of the orange illumination circuit? Anyone got any idea's.

Another issue I'm trying to figure out is how to wire in the rear tail lights and fuel sender, my new tail lights have the backup lights built in and require two three pin plugs to operate. Each plug has a ground and a red and black wire coming off. Any idea's on how I should wire these up.

Here are a few pictures of my rear harness, it has been hacked on really good...

trailer-hookup.jpg

trailer-hookup1.jpg

trailer-hookup2.jpg
These first three photo's show what appears to be a spliced in set of wires, I haven't been able to track them down in my wiring diagram. Any ideas what they may be for? Trailer hookup possibly?

tail-light-hookup.jpg

tail-light-hookup1.jpg

tail-light-hookup2.jpg
These three photo's show my tail light and side indicator lamp wiring. This is what I need to splice into for the new tail lights I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Also I don't see any wire coming back to the sending unit for the fuel gauge, am I missing something here as well?

David
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #53
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

How much rewiring do you want to do?

If the harness was in better shape I would cut the leads off my old tail lights and splice them into the new tail lights.

But with the harness in that bad of shape, I may cut back and find some good copper and make a custom harness for the new LED lights.

For your speedo lights, it could be a bad ground to the speedo that is causing something to use the lights in the speedo to be in a ground circuit.
Or the wrong bulbs in the wrong place.
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #54
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

ya that rear harness is really sad looking, rewiring it from a ways back doesn't scare me. Before it drops through the tub it is in pretty decent shape, so splicing in there and re-wiring the lights from that point is probably my best bet. Also right before it goes through the wheel well is where that square plug is spliced in. Any thoughts on what that may be for? If I can just eliminate it from the harness it would be best.

Here is a picture of the driverside tail plug, + what I assume is the fuel sending wire in pink?
driver-side-plug.jpg

Now jumping up the the engine compartment, I have 1 wire and two plugs that still need identification.

yellow-wire.jpg
This yellow wire doesn't have a home yet, any idea's what it is for?

unknown-plugs.jpg
same thing with these two plugs, they were never plugged into anything even before I tore things apart.

David
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #55
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsAndaGuy View Post
ya that rear harness is really sad looking, rewiring it from a ways back doesn't scare me. Before it drops through the tub it is in pretty decent shape, so splicing in there and re-wiring the lights from that point is probably my best bet. Also right before it goes through the wheel well is where that square plug is spliced in. Any thoughts on what that may be for? If I can just eliminate it from the harness it would be best.
Those are for the Dome light if you had one.

Quote:
Here is a picture of the driverside tail plug, + what I assume is the fuel sending wire in pink?
Attachment 642029
Yep, Fuel gauge, Were is yours hooked up now?

Quote:
Now jumping up the the engine compartment, I have 1 wire and two plugs that still need identification.

Attachment 642031
This yellow wire doesn't have a home yet, any idea's what it is for?
Windshield washer pump???

IS that a water pump in the picture or an air pump for the air horns?
Maybe the PO rewired the pump differently.

Quote:
Attachment 642032
same thing with these two plugs, they were never plugged into anything even before I tore things apart.
the Yellow and Orange wires go to Quada track and Kickdown on Automatic tranny

The other one could be for the brake failure switch on the combination valve if both wires are black. Ought to hook that one up.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #56
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

Ok, do they not show this on the standard wiring diagrams?

It's not hooked up at all currently. I've got it wired in under the dash to the correct wire, just need to make sure that was this one.

It's an air pump for the horn. Rig never came with a windshield washer pump or reservoir.

The other one could be for the brake failure switch on the combination valve if both wires are black. Ought to hook that one up.

hmmm, not sure what the brake failure switch on the combination valve would even do. But you are correct both those wires are black

David
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #57
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

Ok, do they not show this on the standard wiring diagrams?

On some they do....

It's not hooked up at all currently. I've got it wired in under the dash to the correct wire, just need to make sure that was this one.

It's an air pump for the horn. Rig never came with a windshield washer pump or reservoir.

Very sure it's for washer pump

hmmm, not sure what the brake failure switch on the combination valve would even do. But you are correct both those wires are black

Warns you of a leak in the brake system. Not that being unable to stop not tell you enough....
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #58
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

ok now back to the tail lights, I've put together a simple diagram showing the existing system or rear harness and also my new tail lights. Where I am stuck is connecting the dots between the two points.

If you look at the diagram I made, you will see that I have two wires coming from each light. I ultimately end up with an extra wire on the backup light circuit. Any clue as to what to do with this setup?

tail-light-diagram.jpg

David
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #59
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Original lights grounded to the body with the mounting studs. If the wire coming from the b/u light is black then it would be a ground wire. With LED lights you also need to wire in resistors unless they are built into the light fixture.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #60
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave
Original lights grounded to the body with the mounting studs. If the wire coming from the b/u light is black then it would be a ground wire. With LED lights you also need to wire in resistors unless they are built into the light fixture.
The LED lights have a ground wire coming off of both the tail and backup lights as well as the two wires shown in the diagram. 6 wires total.

David

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.