CJ5 Wiring Harness Identification Questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Wiring Harness Identification Questions

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

one of the two 90 degree push on reds in the 2nd picture is cigar lighter.....

picture 4 orange wire i have loose under my dash right below my headlamp switch. Some diagrams have it labled "courtesy lamp"

1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

I'm thinking you still need to locate
1. Power to Wiper switch (Red)
Maybe this is the red w/trace wire with no end on it?
2. Power to Heater Switch (Tan)
Plugged into Dash
2A. Resistor Pack
Labeled
3. Horn relay socket
Labeled
4. Power to Fuel Gauges. (red)
?
5. That yellow wire you tagged as wiper switch actually goes to the washer pump from the wiper switch.
No washer reservoir or pump, so I assume this will not be used?
6. Power for Voltmeter (yellow)
Labeled
7. Power for Oil Pressure Gauge (red)
?
8. Sensor for Oil Pressure Gauges.
Labeled
9. Sensor foe Fuel gauge (Pink)
Possibly Labeled? Had it noted as manual transmission jumper??? But it is pink
10. Sensor for Temp Gauge (Violet)
Labeled
Ok here is what I have come up with on my harness. Still missing some things but I think I'm getting closer. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of my labels. Highlighted wires are my current unknowns.

labeled-harness.jpg

Highlighted in green is the yellow/yellow and red/white plugs that are used for auto tranny, again assuming these will not be used anywhere in my setup?

Highlighted in purple are the two red wires coming off the quadratac light, seems these about line up where the oil and fuel power leads would be needed?

Highlighted in red are the other unknown red wires one with a similar plug to what the ilumination plugs use and one with the non stock connection on it.

Highlighted in Blue is a plug coming off one half of the ignition plug with two blue wires

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanchew View Post
one of the two 90 degree push on reds in the 2nd picture is cigar lighter.....

picture 4 orange wire i have loose under my dash right below my headlamp switch. Some diagrams have it labled "courtesy lamp"
usually there is a ground also with the Power to the Cigar lighter. But I didn't separate the harness. Here is my Cigar lighter connector.

That courtesy light can be the ones under the dash or the dome light if you have a hard top.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
usually there is a ground also with the Power to the Cigar lighter. But I didn't separate the harness. Here is my Cigar lighter connector.

That courtesy light can be the ones under the dash or the dome light if you have a hard top.
i forgot about that ground lug with it....
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsAndaGuy View Post
Ok here is what I have come up with on my harness. Still missing some things but I think I'm getting closer. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of my labels. Highlighted wires are my current unknowns.

Attachment 531930

Highlighted in green is the yellow/yellow and red/white plugs that are used for auto tranny, again assuming these will not be used anywhere in my setup?
Yep won't need these.

Quote:
Highlighted in purple are the two red wires coming off the quadratac light, seems these about line up where the oil and fuel power leads would be needed?
Could be. Look closely to make sure one of them is not pink.

Pink is for the fuel level sensor.
Purple with a trace is Temperature sensor.

Quote:
Highlighted in red is the other unknown red wire with the non stock connection on it.
Oh Boy, good luck with this one....

Quote:
Highlighted in Blue is a plug coming off one half of the ignition plug with two blue wires
NSS (Neutral Safety switch) overide. Should be a jumper between the terminals. Don't need this one either

Three unused terminas if you have a manual tranny.
From left to right... Kickdown switch for automatic transmission, Neutral Safety Switch, Back up light Switch

Not sure about your Oil pressure sensor label. Is that added? it should be solid purple.

Wiper power looks right.

I don't think the fuel sensor as labeled comes out there....

Here is a Hi Rez. 79 Schematic I merged together that you can zoom in on really far for detail
Just the link or it will take a long time to load into the post....

http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Elec...aticMerged.JPG

Hope it helps
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Yep won't need these.

Could be. Look closely to make sure one of them is not pink. Pink is for the fuel level sensor.

Oh Boy, good luck with this one....

NSS (Neutral Safety switch) overide. Should be a jumper between the terminals.

Not sure about your Oil pressure sensor label. Is that added? it should be purple
Great, that eliminates a few unknowns. I will just have to leave most of those reds unplugged until I can get the harness mounted and have juice running to it.

Did you see the note I posted in the last reply about the pink wire that I had labeled as manual transmission jumper? That is the only pink wire in my harness so I'm going to say that is the fuel sensor.

And last but not least just so I am clear, there is no distinction between a red switched power wire and a constant power wire? Also where would I want a constant 12v?

David
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Last comment, there is a difference.
Constant power for:
4 way/emergency flashers (red/t).
Brake lights (Red/t),
Dome light/courtesy lights power (forgot about that one) (Orange?),
Clock power (White),
Park/tail lights (White to headlight switch)

Everything else switched power.

Looks like most wires, red with trace, is un-switched but only about 80%

Yep, Pink is fuel sensor.

Note: I added more info in my post you quoted you may of missed....
Unread 12-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:

Not sure about your Oil pressure sensor label. Is that added? it should be solid purple.

Wiper power looks right.

I don't think the fuel sensor as labeled comes out there....

Hope it helps
The fuel sensor in the overall picture is coiled up a few times, it is very long and I'm assuming before I spread apart my harness it came out further down the line.

The Oil pressure sensor is stock, just not showing very purple in the overall picture. Here are the temp and oil pressure wires...
oil-pressure.jpg

temp.jpg

Quote:
Last comment, there is a difference.
Constant power for:
4 way/emergency flashers (red/t).
Brake lights (Red/t),
Dome light/courtesy lights power (forgot about that one) (Orange?),
Clock power (White),
Park/tail lights (White to headlight switch)

Everything else switched power.

Looks like most wires, red with trace, is un-switched but only about 80%

Yep, Pink is fuel sensor.

Note: I added more info in my post you quoted you may of missed....
John, I really appreciate all the help you are providing on this. From your above comments on non switched power, I don't see any that are solid red. Again I am assuming here but it appears that all these solid reds I have would be switched. If this is the case they really can be used for anything, correct?

David
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #24
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Depends what size fuse its connected to in the fuse box.

You would not want to connect the power for the gauges (3 amps) to the heater switch (25 amps).
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #25
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Don't forget you still need to figure how to supply power to the brake switch. Either find a constant power line that is hot and splice it in or fix the old power line and splice it back in. It could of been the old fuse socket was corroded and didn't make contact or simply the fuse was blown and he ran a new power line to the brake switch.

Unread 12-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

One final drawing I made up this morning.

It's for an 80 fuse box similar to 84 on fuse box but the TS flasher would be seperate.
Has a couple more wires than your 79 box but close enough.

Unread 12-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #27
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Dang gonna save this lots of great info and labels too.
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
Don't forget you still need to figure how to supply power to the brake switch. Either find a constant power line that is hot and splice it in or fix the old power line and splice it back in. It could of been the old fuse socket was corroded and didn't make contact or simply the fuse was blown and he ran a new power line to the brake switch.
I think with that last picture you posted I should be able to just go back to the source. Do you recommend any particular way to clean up those connections?

David
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #29
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Also one more question... Right now let's assume that those 4 solid red wires are 12v switched power (which is what I need for my gauges) could I splice a few more wires onto them to make up the additional wires I need? Or is there a better way to go about that?

David
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Best not to assume right now. Try to hunt down were they start by removing all the fuses and use an ohm meter or a continuity tester.

Backing soda usually gets the green crud off but rinse and dry it well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.