CJ5 Wiring Harness Identification Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Wiring Harness Identification Questions

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 12-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

CJ5 Wiring Harness Identification Questions

Ok, hope all had a nice Christmas and got everything on their list.

Over the weekend I've been working on cleaning up and getting my main harness wired back up to my dash and have managed to fumble through a wiring diagram to identify some of the wires coming out of the fuse block but am still left with a lot of questions. I have taken pictures of all the wires I still am unsure of and would greatly appreciate it if you all could help me figure out my unknown plugs.

Unknowns are highlighted with blue.

black-red-light.jpg
PICTURE 1 -
Unknown1 : Black/Red Light
Unknown2 : Black off of light

quadratrac.jpg
PICTURE 2 -
Known : Quadratrac Light
Unknowns : Red wires coming off of Light
Also unknown is what the quadratrac light is for?

offignplug.jpg
PICTURE 3 -
Unknown1 : Red w/trace plug
Unknown2 : Red w/trace wire off of plug

near-fusebox.jpg
PICTURE 4 -
Unknown1 : Orange wire
Unknown2 : Red w/trace (this wire the plug is missing)
Unknown3 : Red w/trace + black plug
Unknown4 : Red + 2 gray plug (know that high beam light comes off of this)

full-harness.jpg
Just a shot of the full harness, gives an idea of what I'm working with.

Also I am wiring in autometer gauges, and they all say they require a 12v switched power wire to them. I have located and labeled most of the signal wires to them, and of course grounds will need to be brought to them, but I am still a bit stumped on the switched power. Did the old gauges have this power wire as well?

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can see I'm in way over my head here.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
sanmiam
1983 CJ7 

The old guages did not use a dedicated power (with the exception of the voltmeter and tach). Is the power to the autometer guages for the guages to function, or for the lights? If lights, just run the orange/black wires that are in the stock harness (some do not have a black and grounded to the dash through the brackets - easy enough to run additional grounds)

If they require a 12V switched you can either tap off the lighter, or plug into the radio or clock light/tach light on the fuse box.

As far as your questions above:

Pic1 - looks like a light plug that someone added (common since factory light plugs tend to break the little metal pieces). The red is power from the harnes, the black goes to ground

Pic2 - w/o knowing where in the harness I can't comment

Pic 3 - This plugs into the brake switch. The other side should get power from somewhere - can't remember where.

Pic 4 - Top left goes to rear light harness. Top right I believe is for parking brake. Middle right goes to ignition switch (the one mounted on the steering column under the dash) Red and white wire I am unsure of, and the orange one plugs into the fuse box for the clock light (I am 99% sure anyhow)

Pic 5 - Looks like fun!

If any of my comments are incorrect please don;t shoot the messenger - I am going strictly off memory. If you are REALLY stumped shoot me a PM and we can exchange contact info so I can comment on it while I am looking at my harness. I just went through this a couple months ago so it is fairly fresh on my mind.
Unread 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiam View Post
The old guages did not use a dedicated power (with the exception of the voltmeter and tach). Is the power to the autometer guages for the guages to function, or for the lights? If lights, just run the orange/black wires that are in the stock harness (some do not have a black and grounded to the dash through the brackets - easy enough to run additional grounds)

If they require a 12V switched you can either tap off the lighter, or plug into the radio or clock light/tach light on the fuse box.

As far as your questions above:

Pic1 - looks like a light plug that someone added (common since factory light plugs tend to break the little metal pieces). The red is power from the harnes, the black goes to ground

Pic2 - w/o knowing where in the harness I can't comment

Pic 3 - This plugs into the brake switch. The other side should get power from somewhere - can't remember where.

Pic 4 - Top left goes to rear light harness. Top right I believe is for parking brake. Middle right goes to ignition switch (the one mounted on the steering column under the dash) Red and white wire I am unsure of, and the orange one plugs into the fuse box for the clock light (I am 99% sure anyhow)

Pic 5 - Looks like fun!

If any of my comments are incorrect please don;t shoot the messenger - I am going strictly off memory. If you are REALLY stumped shoot me a PM and we can exchange contact info so I can comment on it while I am looking at my harness. I just went through this a couple months ago so it is fairly fresh on my mind.

Thanks for the reply, I have updated a few of the photo's to show your comments. I also added another photo for more identification.

near-fusebox.jpg
Updated with comments from sanmiam

offignplug.jpg

near-column.jpg
PICTURE 5 -
Unknown1 : Red + White plug
Unknown2 : 2 Yellow plug
Unknown3 : Red w/stock plug
Unknown4 : Red w/non stock plug

David
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsAndaGuy View Post
Ok, hope all had a nice Christmas and got everything on their list.

Over the weekend I've been working on cleaning up and getting my main harness wired back up to my dash and have managed to fumble through a wiring diagram to identify some of the wires coming out of the fuse block but am still left with a lot of questions. I have taken pictures of all the wires I still am unsure of and would greatly appreciate it if you all could help me figure out my unknown plugs.

Unknowns are highlighted with blue.

Attachment 531319
PICTURE 1 -
Unknown1 : Black/Red Light
Unknown2 : Black off of light
Brake warning light
and the other one goes to your Parking/Emergency brake. Just one wire.

Quote:
Attachment 531320
PICTURE 2 -
Known : Quadratrac Light
Unknowns : Red wires coming off of Light
Also unknown is what the quadratrac light is for?

Quadratech light is to indicate your in 4 WD. It is controlled by a switch ether on the Dana 300 or off the Automatic with Quadatech

Quote:
Attachment 531321
PICTURE 3 -
Unknown1 : Red w/trace plug
Unknown2 : Red w/trace wire off of plug

For sure brake switch with someones new power feed because the other end goes into the TS plug.

Quote:
Attachment 531322
PICTURE 4 -
Unknown1 : Orange wire
Unknown2 : Red w/trace (this wire the plug is missing)
Unknown3 : Red w/trace + black plug
Unknown4 : Red + 2 gray plug (know that high beam light comes off of this)
Orange is usually some type of illumination circuit light for the dash light. Since it is separate from others I would hazard a guess it's for the head light switch indicator. The one above the head lifght switch or possibly for the PRNDL if you have an automatic.

Red is usually power whether switched or on all the time.
They can go to radio, brake light switch. (maybe that is why one is cut off and a new wire added to the brake light plug. Does the length match up?)

Quote:
Attachment 531323
Just a shot of the full harness, gives an idea of what I'm working with.

Also I am wiring in autometer gauges, and they all say they require a 12v switched power wire to them. I have located and labeled most of the signal wires to them, and of course grounds will need to be brought to them, but I am still a bit stumped on the switched power. Did the old gauges have this power wire as well?

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can see I'm in way over my head here.
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I have updated a few of the photo's to show your comments. I also added another photo for more identification.

Attachment 531359
Parking brake is wrong, should only be 1 wire.
Need a close up

Quote:
Attachment 531360

Attachment 531361
PICTURE 5 -
Unknown1 : Red + White plug
Unknown2 : 2 Yellow plug
Unknown3 : Red w/stock plug
Unknown4 : Red w/non stock plug
On 1 and 2:
Do you have an automatic tranny?
The red and white and Yellow ones are used for the Automatic tranny.

3 and 4 :
Could be used anywhere.
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Brake warning light

When parking brake is engaged?

Quadratech light is to indicate your in 4 WD. It is controlled by a switch ether on the Dana 300 or off the Automatic with Quadatech

I have a Dana 20, would this light still apply?

For sure brake switch with someones new power feed because the other end goes into the TS plug.

TS plug?

Orange is usually some type of illumination circuit light for the dash light. Since it is separate from others I would hazard a guess it's for the head light switch indicator. The one above the head lifght switch or possibly for the PRNDL if you have an automatic.

Manual transmission, I'm getting clearer on the orange wires however. All are for dash illumination.

They can go to radio, brake light switch. (maybe that is why one is cut off and a new wire added to the brake light plug. Does the length match up?)

The red wire that is cut is a red with white line. Does that matter?
comments in the quote.

David
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Need a close up

On 1 and 2:
Do you have an automatic tranny?
The red and white and Yellow ones are used for the Automatic tranny.

3 and 4 :
Could be used anywhere.
I have a manual tranny.

Ok so now if I'm understanding correctly, a solid red is a power wire to feed just about anything. No way to determine if switched or not without being wired up I assume?

David
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Need a close up
Here is the best close up of this plug I have...
closeup.jpg

David
Unread 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
sanmiam
1983 CJ7 

Mabye the other side of the ignition harness? There are two pieces with individual connectors that fit together to plug into the switch.
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiam View Post
Mabye the other side of the ignition harness? There are two pieces with individual connectors that fit together to plug into the switch.
I think that it plugs into the column somewhere but it's not one of the two that plug in together.

David
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
Brake warning light

When parking brake is engaged?

Yes, when the parking brake is engaged

I have a Dana 20, would this light still apply?

Not used on the Dana 20 just extra stuff but keep it in case you install a dana 300 later.

TS plug?

Turn Signal Plug

Manual transmission, I'm getting clearer on the orange wires however. All are for dash illumination.

The red wire that is cut is a red with white line. Does that matter?

comments in the quote.
comments in the quote.
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
comments in the quote.
Quote:
Here is the best close up of this plug I have...
Attachment 531388
The light is a dead giveaway, It's for the dimmer switch on the floor.
The light is the hi beam light in the speedo.

yours probably lost the hood but here is the other side of the plug:

Even the wire colors match up.
What is on that tag?
dimmersocket.jpg  
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Here are the two plugs for the ignition Switch:

And what they do...
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

About the other wires.

Have an ohm meter?

Ohm these out back to the fuse box. It may be one of them is power for the Fuel gauge.

Need to take fuses out though otherwise it will look like it connects everywhere.

You can tell a lot by were it originates in the fuse box...

I'm thinking you still need to locate

1. Power to Wiper switch (Red)
2. Power to Heater Switch (Tan)
2A. Resistor Pack
3. Horn relay socket
4. Power to Fuel Gauges. (red)
5. That yellow wire you tagged as wiper switch actually goes to the washer pump from the wiper switch.
6. Power for Voltmeter (yellow)
7. Power for Oil Pressure Gauge (red)
8. Sensor for Oil Pressure Gauges.
9. Sensor foe Fuel gauge (Pink)
10. Sensor for Temp Gauge (Violet)

1. Wiper power (Red) with Dash Light (Orange) and washer pump connector (Yellow)

2. Power to heater switch:

3. Horn relay socket

6. Volt and Oil connectors

2A. Resistor pack for heater switch
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
The light is a dead giveaway, It's for the dimmer switch on the floor.
The light is the hi beam light in the speedo.

yours probably lost the hood but here is the other side of the plug:

Even the wire colors match up.
What is on that tag?
Tag says Hi beam light. Now that you mention that hood, I remember pulling a haggard looking thing off of that plug. Must have been the old hood.

David

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.