CJ5 Windshield Frame Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Windshield Frame Install

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
JeapBastard
1973 CJ5 

CJ5 Windshield Frame Install

I have a replacement frame and glass on order for my '73 CJ5.
My question is, would it be better to install the frame first, then the glass?
I have already broke my first windshield trying to replace it myself on a not-so-great original frame.
I currently live in a west Texas boomtown, where service is nonexistent, and over a dozen glass installers have either refused to install older jeep windshields, or have told me they can't get to it until the end of the year. I'm so pissed.
Against my better judgement, I'd really like to attempt the install again (this time on the new frame), but don't want to crack the glass again if I install glass first, then do something stupid like tweak the hinges when mounting the frame and put too much stress on the glass. Thoughts?

JeapBastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

My experience-I have an aftermarket WS frame. It's dimensions are off just enough that the mobile glass guy couldn't get the glass in it.
I had to take it off the Jeep, take the frame into the glass shop, where three guys worked on it with the frame laying flat on the table.
I live in fear of a rock going through my windshield...
Unread 09-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I would install the glass with the frame off the jeep, sitting on saw horse's. The last glass a friend helped me install ( in a OEM frame) seemed like the glass was just a bit big.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
JeapBastard
1973 CJ5 

Thanks guys. I'm considering taking it into a glass shop first. By the time I buy the right tools for the job, I'm sure the cost is a wash... And I have already learned my lesson once. You don't force glass. Even if it looks so close. Some things are just better off left to a "professional".
I am still worried it might break when I mount the frame.
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Don't worry about when you mount it to the tub. You wouldn't believe the abuse my trail Jeep windshields have seen, without the glass breaking. As far as tools, all the shops I've seen use are a 3/16" or 1/4" nylon rope, and a spray can of silicone lube. I broke my first windshield while trying it without a helper, a helper makes a lot of difference.

I'm not trying to talk you into it, just sharing my experiance.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
CSP

Why would it break mounting the frame to the tub? It shouldn't be that bad of a fit. If anything, test fit the frame to the tub before the glass is installed to see how it fits.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

I've done it both ways, and having the frame mounted to the Jeep was easier.
Unread 09-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
bluwtrsurfr

When I replaced my windshield frame and glass, I took the frame to the glass shop. When I went to pick it up, the guy who did the install came out and thanked me for having the frame off the jeep. I think the shops like it better with the frame off. At least mine did.

81 Jeep CJ5 4" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires.
bluwtrsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

It also depends on the type of rubber seal it has. On my 74 it had the two piece seal, with the locking insert that goes in from the outside. With this style it was easier to put the seal on the frame first and then fit the glass into the seal. On my 82 it had the one piece seal and it was easier with the frame off, using the rope insert trick to insert the glass and seal both into the frame at the same time.
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
JeapBastard
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
It also depends on the type of rubber seal it has. On my 74 it had the two piece seal, with the locking insert that goes in from the outside. With this style it was easier to put the seal on the frame first and then fit the glass into the seal.
Thanks for the tip.
I ordered the hook tool and locking strip install tool, as mine is also a the two piece locking seal. And of course having the right tools for the job makes all the difference.
I plan on laying the frame on a rug, placing the seal onto the frame, then setting the windshield on top and working the seal slowly around with the hook tool. Did it require much pressure/force when you installed on your '74?
God I hope this works. I can't afford to keep buying replacement glass.
Unread 09-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

No, not much force, and don't force it or you will break it for sure. If something isn't going into place, don't force it, just slow down and figure out what's binding.
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
JeapBastard
1973 CJ5 

So, my replacement frame just showed up and I am not impressed. Poorly packed, and very poorly welded. There is also a small warp in the lower flange near the corner... Guess I should try to bend it back? I am willing to bet a small protrusion in the flange is going to give me problems.
Unread 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Yep, replacement frames are notoriously sucky. On the 76+ versions the mounting holes for the wiper motor are infamous for being about 1/8" off, just enough to make the linkage bind and/or break. I haven't heard of it happening on the 68-75 version, but look out for it if your wipers don't work properly. The solution is to enlarge the holes and move the motor slightly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.