CJ5 Winch mounting.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Winch mounting....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
mavdog32
1980 CJ5 

CJ5 Winch mounting....

Ok bought one of the new XRC8 cause thats all the wife will let me spend for the time being! Now I need to mount it and I have thought about getting a piece of plate from a scrap pile, but it sure does sit nice on the factory crossmember thing, not to mentions its welded in there stronger than I think I could get a plate mounted.

Which leads to the question of whether I should:

a. Drill the holes mount it and call it good!

b. suck it up, buy the winch mount and move along, mind you the wife is already pissed lol!

mavdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
mavdog32
1980 CJ5 

nevermind, the similar thread thing works wonders lol
mavdog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

So what'd you do? lol

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Winch Plate

I am working on the same thing for my CJ5. I ordered a Superwinch EPi9000 for my Jeep. I also had a 5"x2"x1/8" bumper on the front. I built a bracket for the clevis lug to hang below and tie into the bumper as well as the front cross member. After looking at the aftermarket winch brackets, decided to build my own. Went to my local scrap yard and bought a 6"x1/4"x6' flat bar. This will lay across the front cross member. I will have a piece of 3"x1/4" flat bar welded to the side and go along the frame rail back about 6" to the bolt that holds the sway bar bracket on. Will also have a 2"x1/4" flat bar welded to the front of the side that will bolt to that holds the front spring perch to the frame. There is not a really good way to attach to the frame since the steering sector kills one side. Will also attach with the bolts on the front cross member that holds the clevis bracket. This will be the base for the winch. I have an issue that I am concerned with weight on my CJ since it is going in my Toy Hauler (5th wheel). I may mount a 2" receiver on top of this plate or mount the winch to another piece of plate to be able to remove. Still have not decided yet. Hopefully will get built today. Will take pictures if anyone interested...
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

there is alot of stress on the frame of jeep and winch mount when you have that winch hooked up on a full pull. That is the jeep is sliding forward under the load or you have the rear of jeep hooked to a tree, etc:

I would get the winch mount and attach winch plate to sides of jeep frame.

That is the way my Ramsey winch plate is attached, have never had any problems with it.

good luck and stay safe,

note: you can get hurt with a winch or bent the frame of your jeep
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
wehunt38
1972 CJ5 

did we ever get pictures?
wehunt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.