cj5 widetrac? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj5 widetrac?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
62galaxie
1983 CJ5 

cj5 widetrac?

Does anyone know if cj5 were available in widetrac?

62galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I've read here before that a very small number of CJ-5s got Widetracs in 1983 from the factory. Most likely for the same reason that CJ-7s got Dana44s on 1986- They ran out of correct parts.

However, plenty of people have swapped the widetracs over to the CJ5
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
62galaxie
1983 CJ5 

I have an 83 and was wondering how you could tell the difference.
Unread 10-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
adamsclarke

Take a tape measure from the WMS of the axle *wheel mount surface". 53" will be NT and 56" will be wide track.
adamsclarke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
62galaxie
1983 CJ5 

Thanks for the help
Unread 10-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclarke View Post
Take a tape measure from the WMS of the axle *wheel mount surface". 53" will be NT and 56" will be wide track.
I think its 50.5" for the Narrow-Trac and 54.5" for Wide-Trac
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
COBRA5LADDICT

in my experiance no cj5's came from the factory with widetracks. i did swap them into mine.. out of a 86 cj7. got lucky and it had the dana 44
COBRA5LADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
kyle1228
1987 XJ Cherokee 

If you have an 83', it's widetrack, no doubt. Trust me.
kyle1228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1228 View Post
Trust me.
Why? Did you sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Can you provide a citation for this evidence that's a little more substantial than "trust me"?
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
kyle1228
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Well, for one, the CJ5 only came with two different rear end axles. The Model 20, and the Dana 44. And, 76'-81' Jeep was using the narrow track axles, for the slim body style that the CJ's have. But, in 82', they started making the wide track axles, that proved to be safer for the vehicle, and more reliable. Both axles are interchangeable, because of the fact that the spring seats are in the same place. So, if you ever decide that you want to slip some narrow tracks in your CJ, there should be absolutely no problem with doing so. Did I explain well enough?
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well, for one, the CJ5 only came with two different rear end axles. The Model 20, and the Dana 44. And, 76'-81' Jeep was using the narrow track axles, for the slim body style that the CJ's have. But, in 82', they started making the wide track axles, that proved to be safer for the vehicle, and more reliable. Both axles are interchangeable, because of the fact that the spring seats are in the same place. So, if you ever decide that you want to slip some narrow tracks in your CJ, there should be absolutely no problem with doing so. Did I explain well enough?
But they continued to use narrowtrac axles up until '83 for the CJ5. Just look at 1 piece axles for sale. It should say 76-83 CJ5. 76-81 CJ7 and 1981 CJ8.

It is possible that a CJ5 was bought with widetrac axles, they are bolt in and safer. It is possible that the factory ran out of narrow tracs in 1983 or dealers swapped them in but the vast majority of CJ5s produced in 1983 were shipped from the factory with narrowtracs.
Unread 10-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
kyle1228
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I guess, don't trust any of our words. Just go out with your tape measure, and see if it measures to be 54.5" from wheel to wheel. It's as easy as that. If it measures to be 50.5" from wheel to wheel, then yes, I was wrong. But, just go try it, and get back to us.
Unread 10-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You should be able to do it without measuring - if the front top shock mounts are the same as the rear top shock mounts, it is almost certainly NT. The WT axles use the taller front shock mounts. Just look under the front fender and you should see the shock mounts. Here's a photo of a frame set up for WT axles, notice the difference between the front and rear shock mounts. If the fronts are short ones similar to the height of the rears on this frame, then it's probably NT.

It is my understanding that all CJ-5's were build with NT axles. It would always be possible that Jeep could have run out of NT axles and substituted WT axles at the end of the production run, but given the publicity and controversy at the time about the CJ-5's stability, I'd find it hard to believe that Jeep would have made any changes to the suspension in the last production year. Making that change would have been like an admission that the CJ-5 was unstable and could have been used against them in lawsuits.

But with Jeep, anything is possible Never say never about anything "standard" Jeep.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Full Tank
1980 CJ5 

I saw a production number table recently and was surprised to see that only 3,xxx CJ5's were built in '83.

If they installed some WT's it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

If you guys with '83's could take some measurements it would be great.

FT

1986 CJ7
Dana 30--AMC20--D300--T5--2.5L
Full Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
If you have an 83', it's widetrack, no doubt. Trust me.
AMC used up the narrow axles on the CJ5 up until '83. By far, the majority are narrow.

There's a fellow here on this site that builds axles for a respectable outfit in the Northwest; I've read his reports of coming across a few original wide track CJ5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.