Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CJ5 V8 w/Auto????

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  CJ Chet 
#1 ·
Is there any info out there on putting a V8 Auto Trans in a CJ5? I have a CJ5 parts Jeep (I have robbed parts for my CJ7's from it) that I would like to run through the local mud bog. I'm looking for speed to beat the clock.

#2 ·
Nope, not really. Because of the short wheelbase and the increaded length of an auto trans your drive shaft would be real short. The birth of the CJ7, which was a little longer,was to allow an auto trans to be used.

#4 ·
You could put a 7 frame under there, or stretch the frame in the rear about 10 inches for the driveshaft, maybe put a 4 link with coil springs on the 5 frame, cut out rear fenderwells. It would look kinda funny but anything is possible... I would use the TH400 and Quadratrac TC out of a Waggy if you can't find an automatic from a 7.

#5 ·
if you move the engine forward and the rear diff backward, it can be done. it is still a tight fit though. it might be possible to move the engine forward far enough if you modify radiator placement. Good fabrication skills will be needed. alot depends on engine and trans choice. a th350 will be tight and a th400 will be even tighter.

#6 ·
You can do it with a T350 trans, but, as stated, you end up with a short rear driveshaft. If it for for mud bog only, you could lock the rear in place or limit it's travel to almost nothing and get away with it. For a straight mud bogger, the tires and mud can be your suspension; no travel really needed in the springs. The drawback is that longer vehicles are easier to control as the power and speed go up; so a CJ-5 can be pretty squirley.

#7 ·
It's doable using GM stuff...I've seen it work if the lift is kept low (around 2") and things are 'massaged' with a BFH for clearance. Most of the mud bog rigs I see are fairly tall, so if that's the direction you're heading, then you'll need to mess with engine placement and wheelbase stretching to make room so that you have a decent length driveshaft and aren't eating u-joints for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.