cj5 trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj5 trouble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
8balls12
1988 MJ Comanche 

cj5 trouble

hey Y'all today I got a new member to my jeep family, A cj5 here:

sorry if its big and the bad spelling just hang in with me while I explain, anyway so check this out redneck inginuety at it's finest. Jeep wont start. know idea whats wrong seized engine or what? new battery new starter, so that means that something is drawing from the battery because it will get fire or it wont at random (bad grounds). I take 2 batterys and run them from the battery under the hood to a good ground on the body positive is on nothing. then I run my second battery to the starter negative and positive, place the key ignition to on and put the positive on 2nd battery. CRANNNNKKK VROOOOM fired right up. With the help of some starting fluid. What the heck is wrong . where do i start. should i just rip out the whole wireing or is there a way to trouble shoot. I'm kinda inclined to figure that out but I dunno. Any thoughts?

Whatch for my build. it will include body reconstruction: full widths, stretch and some 39's

p.s. IT ALREADY HAS A FULL CAGE!!! oh yea 500 bucks

8balls12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
IDK

Looks like a fun project waiting to happen, have fun! Not much for wiring, just had to welcome you to the CJ forum.
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
8balls12
1988 MJ Comanche 

thanks im so excited i cant sleep. hey sleep rhymes with jeep.....................see what I mean
8balls12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
MontanaCJ5
1974 CJ5 

Start by making sure you have good grounds from the battery to the engine, frame, and starter. Rust and dirt can take out these connections, and even inf you have to run new cables or replace some old ones, it is cheap insurance.
Make sure your starter solenoid is well grounded to the inner fender. Then run a "hot" wire to the small "S" terminal on the solenoid (don't worry about the "I") from a known good battery. The solenoid should open, meaning power flows thru the solenoid from the battery + to the starter + terminal. Apparently your starter works OK, as you already jumped power to it directly, so odds are it is a problem with the solenoid or wiring. If running 12V directly to the solenoid "S" terminal turns the starter, your solenoid is good. Then make sure you are getting 12V to the same terminal when someone holds the key in the "start" position. If not, there's your problem.
MontanaCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
The solenoid should open,
Switches close to allow power thru..

Why are you going to stretch a '5? If you wanted longer wheelbase, why not go for the '7, which are much easier to find anymore...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.