CJ5 transmission issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 transmission issue

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

The spring on the outside (don't have a picture handy) connects to the throw-out bearing fork and forward to the bell housing (there's a hole for it just below where the bracket for the bell-crank mounts). It's about 5-6 inches long. There's also a much shorter spring (maybe an inch or so) inside the bell housing that connects from the other side (and end) of the TO bearing fork to the tranny-end of the bell housing.

Unread 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
Jrmagnum
1971 CJ5 

Finally on the road

For all those involved, thank you for the advise. Several of you had a good idea of what was wrong, but I don't think anyone could have guessed why the problem arose. The pressure plate was not engaging because a mouse nest had built up in the clutch to the point that (after working the clutch in and out several times) the springs could not fully extend. Wish I had a picture of the mess but I had to send the CJ to a shop to have the work done. Wile in the guts the shop found that I had a brand new clutch assembly, however whoever installed the clutch neglected to put in a pilot bearing. The bill came out lower than I was thinking ($620) but high due to lots I labor.
Jrmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.