CJ5 transmission issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 transmission issue

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Jrmagnum
1971 CJ5 

CJ5 transmission issue

Bought a CJ5 a few months ago, test drove it but it needed a complete fuel system overhaul (carb, fuel lines etc.) Got it running and backed it out of the shop to check the carb wile running. When I got back in a minute later the jeep would only creep forward at full throttle. Not sure if the clutch is completely engaging. Checked the transfer case fluids and everything seems to be in order. Not too sure where to go from here before completely dismantling the drive train. Has anyone had this problem or have any possible solutions?

Jrmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Welcome to the forum! I'm just across the road from you.

Engine is running strong, it sounds like. And rpms are doing...what? Options are, from another recent thread:
1) You're in the wrong 4wd gear - i.e. 4Lo - check to make sure your in the right gear
2) Your clutch is burnt out - does it do the same in forward and reverse? You could maybe disconnect the rear driveshaft, throw it in 4Hi, and see if it does the same thing.
3) You spun your rear hubs - None of the above lead anywhere.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Jrmagnum
1971 CJ5 

Tried every arrangement of the transfer case (4wd 2wd high low). Wont engage into forward or reverse.
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

How's the clutch pedal feel when you press it down?
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Won't engage? Like you engage the clutch and can't shift it, or it grinds too much when you try so you stop before you kill it?
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Jrmagnum
1971 CJ5 

Lumpy, clutch pedal is consistent but soft, re-worked part of the clutch linkage attached to the frame as the problem came up. Jeff, The clutch pedal doesn't seem to change the dynamic, weather the clutch is depressed or not you can shift the transmission into any gear with only a small amount of resistance and grinding.
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like the p'plate died(broke'n springs).
LG
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

I agree with Lumpy. Just replace mine and it was sort of the opposite - no matter how hard I pushed on the clutch, regardless of how it was adjusted, the pressure plate wasn't doing much of anything.
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Jrmagnum
1971 CJ5 

Any estimates on how much time and cash this might take to fix. I've replaced similar parts but never on a jeep and don't have much time during the summer to dedicate to a problem like this (I farm).
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

How do you know for sure it's the clutch?
How do you know for sure it's NOT the tranny?
"We" sure don't, and WON'T, till the tranny is out.
LG
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Assuming it's the clutch (pressure plate, etc.), a clutch kit from Napa runs about $135. Plan for a gallon of 90 weight GP4 to refill the transmission and transfer case, about $25. Not having done it before, say 4-6 hours to pull it all apart and about the same to put it together again. Of course, if that *doesn't* fix the problem, then it'll likely have to come apart again to dive into the tranny. Figure $80-$150 an hour at a shop (but they'll be much faster) and you'll still save a few hundred bucks doing it yourself - and learn something new!
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Have'n done this many a time. Plan on the entire weekend from early Sat morn.
Hope you have the alignment tool for the clutch disc. You'll also will NEED a rolling floor jack. One with a tranny-mount adaptor is a big plus.
Get a top line (Gold Line)clutch from NAPA with new pilot bearing(roller)and Throw out bearing.
The biggest PITA is get the tranny back in!
Don't forget the band-aids
LG
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Most clutch kits come with an alignment tool. I would split the xmsn and transfer case to make it lighter. You should have an inspection plate around the xmsn in the tub pull it for more room. By the way check your clutch linkage sometimes it causes problems.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
Most clutch kits come with an alignment tool. I would split the xmsn and transfer case to make it lighter. You should have an inspection plate around the xmsn in the tub pull it for more room. By the way check your clutch linkage sometimes it causes problems.
I know NAPA does. Not sure about other outfits.
LG
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Jrmagnum
1971 CJ5 

New thought. Anyone with a cj5 have a diagram or picture of the linkage from foot pedal to the arm leading into the side if the bell houseing? From the adjustable cable link and link arm I may be missing a spring connected to somewhere foreword of the linkage. But where to connect this spring and how long it is I do not know.

Tags
transfer case , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.