CJ5 trans loose shifter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 trans loose shifter

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTrick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub Shafts

Unread 01-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
foxracer677
1974 CJ5 

CJ5 trans loose shifter

So im finally going to get get to start messing with my CJ5 this weekend after working non stop this past week. I was wondering what would cause the transmission to pop out of first gear, only sometimes. If i hold it down it will stay in, but rattles out it i just try to put it in and leave it there. Only sometimes though. The transmission has ALOT of play in the shifter, Any way it could be something like a loose shift linkage/bushing shot? or am i in for a total rebuild.?? Thanks

foxracer677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
sgtbookie
1982 CJ5 

Which trans do you have in your '5? I know on my T-176 Crown makes a $20 shifter repair kit that tightened mine up nicely.
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
foxracer677
1974 CJ5 

its a '74 so im thinking is the t-14, 3spd.
foxracer677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

I had the same problem with my t150 only it was with second. Your problem is definately with the linkage. I rebuilt mine and replaced the synchro rings and the shift fork. For me the problem was that the shift fork was worn and not fully engaging , hence causing it to pop out and causing premature wear on the synchro rings. Obviously any sort of play will cause a similar problem. Here is the thing the more you drive it like that it will wear the shift fork down and get progressively worse. Trying to "hold" it in causes the fork to rub against the sleeve and this causes even more wear on the fork. You should be able to remove the transmission control assembly, if your t14 is anything like my t150, very easily. Check for wear on the fork because you probably will want to replace it while you are working on the rest of your linkage. I am positive the reason my transmission was doing that was because of the shift fork. I am not a Transmission expert by any means but replacing the fork may save you a lot of time and money. Hopefully you should be able to fix your problem fairly inexpensively and easily. From my understanding it is very likely that an entire rebuild will not be necessary at this point.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.