CJ5 Trail rig Build w/ Pics - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Trail rig Build w/ Pics

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #31
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

I use a set of 2" of E-bay. I haven't had any trouble after I retorqued them. I used blue loctite also. The opposite wheels started wobbling on the trail. I pulled both wheels and the lugnuts came loose. I then realized I didn't retorque after my fist trip. After I torqued them down and then retorques them after the trip I haven't had troubel since. They have been on mutliple trips also. Trails and rocks and some short back road trips. As long as you check them you should be alright. Mine are tempt fix until this winter (if all goes according to plan).

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #32
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

So is it almost cheaper to buy 2 wheels for the front that have an extreme offset? Or is it better to go with the wheel spacers?
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #33
mxracer919
1979 CJ7 

Get that axle in there yet? I know a guy with a geared and locked widetrack that will solve your front end problems........just sayin, lol
mxracer919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #34
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer919 View Post
Get that axle in there yet? I know a guy with a geared and locked widetrack that will solve your front end problems........just sayin, lol
Ok I give, so what do you want for it?

But no I havent gotten the rearend in yet. Trying to get the dumb transmission in still. The pilot bearing has a small hole, and I cant seem to get it in it for some reason. Its really annoying, spend all of last night till 5 in the morning trying to get it in. I only have a couple of inches to go.

Last edited by crzdmnky; 08-08-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #35
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

With a 4" suspension lift. Do you need a drop pitman arm and High Steer in conjunction. OR do you just need one or the other.

AND Can I get some pics of the way you guys reinforced your Steering boxes?

Also, let me know how 33 x 12.50 tires and manual steering is while on the trails and what not.

Last edited by crzdmnky; 08-08-2010 at 09:54 PM..
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Can no one answer my questions?
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #37
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I just have a tierod flip on mine and it works fine. I can get pics tonight if you wana see.
Unread 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #38
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Well, I believe you, just there is, like most other things, an argument about if it works or if it doesnt. I think it would, just dont want to go dump $45, and then turn around and have to dump another chunk.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #39
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

So an update on whats going on with the CJ5. I got my SM420 installed today along with the transfercase. I do not have my skid plate mounted yet because taking my previous one off I broke off every single bolt. What I am going to do is drill all the way up through the frame and tub, and insert a long grade 8 bolt.

After that is finished I am going to install my AMC 20 that I just picked up ( pics coming). Its a widetrack AMC 20 with Warn Full floating axles, lockout hubs, and a Detroit locker. When I am installing the axle the 4" Superlift super ride springs are going on as well, as one whole unit.

As far as the Front goes I have some fab to do and money saving to do. My front is just a narrow track Dana 30. nothing special...yet... But I am going to buy some 1.5" spacers, and get the goferit bushings to flip the steering. Then I am going to weld some shock mounts on to the axle. Probably go with something like this http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/paired-bracket-175tube-p-30.html. Afterwards, I acquired a set of what appears to be aftermarket upper shock mounts that are made out of square tubing and are longer, and I am going to mount them on the front. Then all there is left to do is find some front shocks.

I recently got me a Set of MT 35" Baja Claw tires. Pretty well worn, and they dont sit anywhere near 35", more like 33", but should work for now till I get all the bugs worked out and I get some more money saved. This is why I asked how does a CJ5 steer with manual steering and 33 x 12.50 tires.

After all this major drivetrain and drive line work, I can start on body armor and paint, cant wait!

Will have some pictures of the transmission in the jeep and my new wheels and tires. Then I will get some before, during and after of the lift and axle installs. Should all be happening this week. Unless of course something goes terribly wrong.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #40
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

I updated the first post with my specs as she sits, and other things like some links to info that I am using (this list is sure to grow as I think of things).
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #41
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Heres some pictures of what I have been doing.

Heres my new to me tires... Still wondering how the manual steering will be with that wide of a tire.

Heres how I am going to install my Crossmember on the transmission. I just drilled all the way thru the frame, and install 7" long grade 8 bolts with a nylon lock nut.

This is my AMC 20 with full floating axles, and rear 4" lift springs already installed. Very excited to get this thing installed.
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #42
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I had 33x12.50 tires with manual steering when I got the jeep. It sucked! The steering column was getting loose. Almost impossible to turn at a dead stop. I would highly recomend power steering.
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #43
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Got some new pics today off all the work I got done today. Got the old axle and springs out, and installed my 4" lift springs, and Widetrack AMC 20.

Just finishing up getting the springs up and shackles on, and starting on the brakes.

All Done! I cant tell the difference...

The Other side....

< Here is a Before pic >

Tomorrow, if the GF lets me, I am going to install the front lift springs.
I definitely need them 1.5" wheel spacers for the front now, other wise it just looks goofy with that wide track in the rear.
Unread 08-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #44
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtiger View Post
I had 33x12.50 tires with manual steering when I got the jeep. It sucked! The steering column was getting loose. Almost impossible to turn at a dead stop. I would highly recomend power steering.
X2... they don't call it "Armstrong" steering for nothing!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #45
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Will I need shims on the front w/ a 4" suspension lift?

And since I am not running a widetrack axle, am I going to have problems with the brake calipers hitting the front shocks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.