CJ5 Trail rig Build w/ Pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Trail rig Build w/ Pics

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 07-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

yeah, I wanna make this an around town rig, but no serious road driving. I do like your CJ5 tho, mine isnt anywhere as nice, it has alot of rust and what not, but like I said, it all works for a trail rig. Why make something pretty to get tore up?

I am going to look into making a skid plate, but first I gotta get a Dana 300 for my T-18, otherwise the lift is useless because the T150 & Dana 20 is way to high geared for any trails I run. A total Crawl Ratio of 21 lol.

I dont know what angle my driveshaft is yet, havent gotten a lift installed. Right now I am just trolling and doing things that are very cheap to do and some maintenance.

crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Well, I am STOKED! I am going to go pick up a SM420 adapted to a Dana 300 w/ 4:1 and it has a CV style driveshaft for the rear and a front driveshaft, already set up for a 4" lifted CJ5.
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

nice find.
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice! You'll be up in the 100:1 range or so..

I think the SM420 has about a 7:1 first gear.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #20
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

That is right Bserk. I am now a bad CJ addict. The price I paid was alot, but not as much as it would of taken if I was to duplicate the exact same setup. Wish I could of gotten his other stuff he had. He has a AMC 20 with Warn full floating axles and a Detroit locker for $350 and 3.54 gears. Would go perfectly in my CJ. Sucks not having anymore money.
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Anyone have the links to the Easy High Steer conversion where you have to reem out the knuckles and place the nylon spacers in? I have been looking for them, but havent found it, thought I saved it on my favorites. I found the "how to" but cant find a place to buy the bushings. Thanks
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #22
Carmell CJ
1978 CJ5 

Are you talking about these ?

Goferit Products!
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #23
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

yes sir. Thank you!

Going to be getting some pictures once I receive a cable to charge my camera. Went to take pictures and it wouldnt turn on. Ruined my day.

But so far I have fix several holes in the inside of the tub and cleaned it all up, and painted it all black. Looks real sharp, and got the seats re-installed. Here soon I will be taking out the T-150 Tranny and Dana 20. Then I will have to install a different pilot bearing, and put the new clutch pack on that I received with my SM420, and then it all goes back in. Will have to get pics of it before I install it.

I have been lacking motivation lately, I think it has something to do with me being broke after dishing out the money for that SM420 and Dana 300.

Went and picked up the rest of my traded goods today as well. Which includes a bunch of stuff that I cant even begin to know how to sell or what to price it as. Parts are:
3 -sets of front brake calipers
2 -sets of front disc brakes
1 -set of rear brake drums
2 -sets of disc brake brackets
1 -set of Dana 30 axles
Dash with gauges and all
Peddle assembly(brake, clutch, gas)
set of Driveshafts
set of spring hangers and all + Spring plates
Pair of Dual extended shock towers
Pair of front fenders
Steering nuckles for dana 30
T-150 bellhousing
Gas tank Skid plate
Front stock bumper
transmission cover with Shift boots
6 -Stock CJ wheels
2 -10" 5x5.5 wheels
Ford T-18 2WD Transmission

I am sure there is more, there is like a whole jeep in all this stuff. Ugh, Gotta figure out a way to turn this into cash. Craigslist I suppose, dunno who would be interested in any of it really around here. Scrolling thru this list what are some of the high price items would you guys say? other than the T-18, i know its worth atleast $200.
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

So Got some pictures this weekend. Got the transmission out, and lull and behold, the pilot bearings I received with my SM420 will not work in my 258. SO now I have to locate a mechanist and have him turn down the pilot bearing I have. But here are some pics of my CJ5 in the shop, my SM420/Dana 300, and all my jeep parts that I received with the trade.

And for all you guys that likes to see whats in everyone elses garages, here ya go . That is a '71 Scout 800 on the lift.

The CJ7 better be afraid and not break down, because it sees and has to hull all the parts off of other jeeps, and if it doesnt want to turn into a parts jeep it better behave, lol.

Last edited by crzdmnky; 08-01-2010 at 06:04 PM..
Unread 08-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #25
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

So come Friday, I am going to go pick up some Alcan 4" lift springs from a guy for $250. I figured they are cream of the crop springs since they are tailored for your vehicle. What do you guys think?
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #26
RangerRick
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdmnky View Post
So come Friday, I am going to go pick up some Alcan 4" lift springs from a guy for $250. I figured they are cream of the crop springs since they are tailored for your vehicle. What do you guys think?
Alcan springs with Orbit-Eyes in them....

And you'll LOVE those Alcans! I know I do. Other CJ's owners will bow down in total envy..... Especially if they are following you in the rocks. It's like you're bending the rules or cheating something like that.

Rick
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #27
T18A
1977 CJ5 

-

Last edited by T18A; 08-17-2010 at 09:24 PM..
T18A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #28
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Yeah excited about the Alcan springs, but this guy also has a Widetrack AMC 20 with full floating axles and Detroit locker, and a widetrack Dana 30 w/ a locker, and highsteer. So I have put all my CJ parts that I have been hording up on craigslist. hopefully I can come up with some money by Friday.

I like your jeep T18A, cant wait to have mine look like yours. I am pretty stoked and impatient. But good looking CJ5.

I have a CV rear driveshaft, so i am clear on that area, and if I get this rearends they are already tilted and corrected for fitment under a CJ5.

Thanks for the tips on the transfer case drop, that is good information that I havent read anywhere else.
Unread 08-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #29
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

So I need some updated opinions and what not on Wheel spacers on the front. I have read what I could find on here about them, but I need some more concrete explanations. I am going to pick up a Widetrack axle Friday, but my Dana 30 on the front of my CJ5 is narrow track. I am wanting it to atleast match, plus I want the turning radius. So I need 1.5" wheel spacers on each side, and I will probably locktite them in of course. Whats the best brands, and any non-obvious reasons for doing this?

I just seen the price of these things, just about poop'd myself. Any other ideas, or a special vendor that sales them for a bit cheaper?
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #30
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

id go with spidermax, but they are expensive.
4lowherewego is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.