CJ5 Trail rig Build w/ Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 Trail rig Build w/ Pics

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

CJ5 Trail rig Build w/ Pics

Here is my new to me CJ5 that I just picked up.

('77 CJ5, 3.54 gears, AMC20-limited slip, Dana 30, T150 tranny, Dana20 xfercase, 258) You can see the front of my CJ7 in the background.

Its going to need alot of body work and new body mounts. I have a bunch of tread plate that is probably going to cover up most body damage. I am making this thing mainly for the trail, because its not as pretty as my CJ7, and I dont want to tear up the CJ7 to much, considering its my Daily Driver. This CJ5 can afford to sit in the shop and be worked on constantly.

My plans -
*Got a 4" BDS suspension lift scoped out -
*Got a T-18 Transmission - It needs adapted to either a Dana20 or Dana300 - I have two Dana20s, so I might go this route.
* 4.88 gears possibly
*33"x9.50 tires
*Front Dana30 lunchbox Locker
*1" body lift
*make flat fenders out of the treadplate I have and tube them
*high steer
*Roll on Paint job -yellow- after all body armor is cut.
*Teraflex Shackles (maybe)

-Ok, this is what I ended up with, and aforementioned plans above went out the window.
*Got a SM420 w/ advance adapters bellhousing and Brand new clutch.
*Got a Advanced adapters Dana 300 adapter w/ Dana 300
*Got a 4" rear suspension lift w/ shocks-superlifts super ride
*got a 4" front suspension lift - Alcan
*got a Widetrack AMC 20 w/ Warn Full floaters w/ locking hubs/ Detroit locker
*35" MT baja Claw Tires - pretty worn - but will work

-Still to do

*1.5" wheel spacers for the front (improved steering radius) on the way
*Goferit steering flip bushings - on the way
*extended upper front shock towers and going to weld on lower tabs to the axle tubes. (still need front shocks)
*Cut tread plate for body armor
*roll on yellow paint job
*install CB radio - 102" whip antenna
*fix steering problem
*reinforce Steering box bracker
**Decide if I want to go with powersteering

-Later down the road
*Get a 6-point roll cage
*Buy a locker for the Dana 30 front
*Buy some new 33" or 34" tires
*Lomax Dana 300 4:1 low gear

Keep up guys this build is going to happen at a good pace, as long as I keep getting paychecks and parts become available, I will try to get alot of pictures, because I know how much you like them.

Just some Links of My own, and of other parts and what nots. Stuff I have been thinking about doing, and stuff already done, and stuff I want to buy.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/in...stion-1085258/
http://www.jeepfan.com/reviews/review_retieflip.htm
http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/paired-bracket-175tube-p-30.html
http://www.jbconversions.com/products/dana300/
http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=7560&eq=&Tp=

Last edited by crzdmnky; 08-17-2010 at 07:29 PM..
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
josh97
1986 CJ7 

Hey crzd i cheated on my cj5...I hate the transfer case drop so i cut the perches off the rear axle and rotated it... I have great pinion angle and have had no issues with it at all...the only thing thats sucks is that if u park on a side to side tilt the 90w will run out of the axle tubes cause u have to fill the diff up further to get the fluid to the front bearings...and mine has new seals in it.....
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh97 View Post
Hey crzd i cheated on my cj5...I hate the transfer case drop so i cut the perches off the rear axle and rotated it... I have great pinion angle and have had no issues with it at all...the only thing thats sucks is that if u park on a side to side tilt the 90w will run out of the axle tubes cause u have to fill the diff up further to get the fluid to the front bearings...and mine has new seals in it.....
LOL, Good to know! Will have to look into that for sure.
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Congrats on the new 5. I believe with a 4" lift most people install a rear driveline with a CV joint.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

From what I have read on a CJ5, you dont need a CV driveshaft as long as you keep a compact drivetrain in it.
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
squirrel1

Compare the lengths of your t150 to the t18. With the extra length you will probably need the CV. If you stick with the t150 you can usually avoid the CV driveshaft.
squirrel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

I had mine with a 2.5" lift, T18/D20. I do not think anymore lift would be possible with a stock type driveshaft. The shaft is only about 16 or so inches long, so there isn't much distance for a harsh angle. You do need to put in a 1" drop anyway, that's how the 5's came factory with the T18.
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Bs View Post
I had mine with a 2.5" lift, T18/D20. I do not think anymore lift would be possible with a stock type driveshaft. The shaft is only about 16 or so inches long, so there isn't much distance for a harsh angle. You do need to put in a 1" drop anyway, that's how the 5's came factory with the T18.
I actually have a spare driveshaft out of my CJ7 that appears to be a couple inches longer. I am planning on using it for when I do the lift. I will look into a transfercase drop, that only take a couple of washers .

Do you guys believe that a 4" suspension lift is to much for a CJ5? I also have a set of 2.5" lift springs as well.
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

K, that is a really open question. a 4" is too much for some and not enough for others really depends on what you are going to do with it. I put 4" BDS springs on my '76 CJ5 this winter and it is just now settleing down to 5.25" from 6.75" of lift. From what I have read, the 4" BDS springs tend to end up at about 5" of lift. I did the Tcase drop and 4 degree shims under the axel and have no vibration. My T18 is still waiting in the garage, but I definatly plan on a double cardigan rear shaft when I do it.

You will LOVE the BDS springs! The difference in ride from the stock springs is amazing. I have had no issues either on the road or on mild trails. Still have a few other things to work on before I take it to far away from the pavement.
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Alright, these BDS springs I am getting are already settled since I am taking them off another jeep. They do set up real high on the other jeep.

I am making this CJ mainly for trail riding. Maybe with some around town stuff. What I plan on doing is putting a tow bar on it, so I can use my Stock CJ7 to tow it to and from the trails. My CJ7 is really to nice to play on the rocks, so this is what this jeep is going to be built to do.

Thanks for the info tho, I got the engine stabbed back into the jeep today, and its just waiting to be bolted up.

I think I might have changed my mind, I might end up getting rid of the t-18 and going with a T-176 perhaps. But this is not concrete yet, I am having a hard time finding a t-176 transmission for a decent price.
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

How funny would it be to install a Widetrack Dana 30 in the front, and leave the Narrow track AMC20 in the rear? Would it hurt or help anything? Your opinions are appreciated and whatever else. Thanks
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
albinoplatypus
1980 CJ5 

im running a 9" lift on my cj5 with stock cj7 driveshafts and the transfer case dropped about an inch. Aside from having to cut a chunk out of the skid plate to accomodate for the front driveshaft angle it runs fine
albinoplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

If you're already going to tube fender the front, I'd just go with the 2.5" kit and cut the rear fenders to accomodate the pizza cutters . You should be able to avoid any headaches associated with driveline angles, steering and top heavyness if you go that route.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

I got a BDS 4" suspension lift for real cheap . Plus this is going to be my rock crawler/ trail rig, so the lift will be needed for sure.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I run 4" lift on my CJ5. I built my own tranny skid but it's probably about the same height as stock without a drop. I used a CV shaft (about 15.5" long in my case) and tilted the rear axle up to get a decent driveline angle. I do get some driveline vibe under hard throttle but I think I just need to tilt the pinion down a few degrees to cure it. I've got 35s installed but need to trim the rear fenders a bit to make more room. Similar use as yours.. mainly trail rig (rocks) but I'm trying to keep it legal enough to drive it occasionally on the street.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.