cj5 title issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj5 title issue

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 04-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
Drugcop4
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbramich View Post
frame #'s match the tub. title is for a cj6. i might look into the bonded title. i called dmv and they told me about that today. id do a tub swap if i found a cheap 1. i was planning to strech it enough to get 1.25 ton axles and 44" tires under it so i had to pull the tub anyway
You might recontact the seller and ask him for the correct title. In my state selling a vehicle with the wrong or a purported title is a felony.

Unread 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

basicly you have a stolen jeep. that how my state looks at it, so the seller needs to correct the deal, if for some reason that you can never get a title for it, then you need to get your money back from the seller. its common here for junkyards to sell titles and vin under the table. I had to trash two jeeps because the vin plates been pulled off.

now there a chance the seller was just stupid but the state dont look at it like that, no matching vin, its stolen
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
tbramich

yeah i was worried about the hole stolen thing. i took it back and left it his yard and demanded my money back, of course he claims he spent it. i got a written receipt with both title and jeep vin #'s and told him to get it fixed. or i was going to call the police and i gave him until saturday to figure something out or refynd my money. so we will see.
tbramich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I'm sitting here with a title that matches the vin number on the Jeep you just purchased. Either I'll be down to pick it up as I own it, or I'll be forced to report it stolen.

J/K ... but it sure wouldn't be any fun if you did get a call like that. I'd contact somebody about it before you are left holding the bag.
Good luck getting it straightened out.
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #20
WSS
1972 CJ5 

I live in the Repulik of Kalifornia and no inspection was done when I transferred title/ownership. Hard to believe, even for me. They never looked, just took my money (plenty of it). They were happy, I was happy (ish) LOL

This Jeep even had a engine swap cert on the firewall for emission purposes. I guess it is old enough now to not be needed.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I live in the Repulik of Kalifornia and no inspection was done when I transferred title/ownership. Hard to believe, even for me. They never looked, just took my money (plenty of it). They were happy, I was happy (ish) LOL

This Jeep even had a engine swap cert on the firewall for emission purposes. I guess it is old enough now to not be needed.
In California, if you purchased the vehicle from OUT OF STATE, as I did, they will check for the VIN in at least two places (for me it was the windshield and the firewall), and verify that it matches the paperwork.
However, if the title is transferred within the state, the DMV will typically not inspect the vehicle, although they reserve that right.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #22
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
In California, if you purchased the vehicle from OUT OF STATE, as I did, they will check for the VIN in at least two places (for me it was the windshield and the firewall), and verify that it matches the paperwork.
However, if the title is transferred within the state, the DMV will typically not inspect the vehicle, although they reserve that right.
Ya, out of state stuff gets tricky to say the least here. Maybe I better go check mine.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
I've bought and sold well over 50 vehicles in NC, and only on two did the DMV every contact me (incidentally, both were Jeeps now that I think about it.) One was a 82 SJ Cherokee that had some frame damage. The plate agent processed the transaction, but before they issued a title the DMV called me to tell me the vehicle should have a salvage title. As this doesn't mean you can't drive the vehicle, I told them fine, send me the title, which they did. Drove it for a couple of years until the engine blew.

The other was an old Jeep DJ (postal Jeep) I bought at a charity auction in Virginia. When they tried to enter the VIN, it came back as not existing. So I had to tow it to the DMV, where the DMV Enforcement agent did a pencil tracing of the VIN, then approved it for issuing a title (it did have a valid Virginia title when I bought it.)

Other than that, I've never had the VIN checked, in state or out of state.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

This stuff usually isn't even noticed by the license/registration people until things go south like a wreck or out of state registration. But by then it's sometimes too late and you have a "lot of 'splainin" to do. Get it done quickly and avoid the pain.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

in alabama , they check the vin number on every one
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
I've bought and sold well over 50 vehicles in NC, and only on two did the DMV every contact me (incidentally, both were Jeeps now that I think about it.) One was a 82 SJ Cherokee that had some frame damage. The plate agent processed the transaction, but before they issued a title the DMV called me to tell me the vehicle should have a salvage title. As this doesn't mean you can't drive the vehicle, I told them fine, send me the title, which they did. Drove it for a couple of years until the engine blew.

The other was an old Jeep DJ (postal Jeep) I bought at a charity auction in Virginia. When they tried to enter the VIN, it came back as not existing. So I had to tow it to the DMV, where the DMV Enforcement agent did a pencil tracing of the VIN, then approved it for issuing a title (it did have a valid Virginia title when I bought it.)

Other than that, I've never had the VIN checked, in state or out of state.
it really isnt that big of an issue in nc. nearly all of the farm trucks we bought and sold had either lost or non existing titles (we usualy put them in a safe place for keeping and never could find them) , with the majority of these trucks having swapped cabs, motors, and frames. we were always able to get them titled within a few weeks with no real problems.
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Would never work in FL either ... they are VIN nazis with out of state vehicles.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.