cj5 title issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj5 title issue

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
tbramich

cj5 title issue

well i screwed up. i bought a 77 cj5 project and got a title for it. didn't realize until i got home that the vin #'s didn't match. it was pretty far away so i called the guy and he said "oh yeah meant to tell you" followed by "it don't matter".
well now im in a bad spot, cant really sell it, cant build it, not sure what to do....
i contacted a place that makes new vin badges but they wont touch anything newer than 1950.

any ideas?? oh yeah i live in nc

tbramich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Drugcop4
1981 CJ5 

I will start by saying I live in Illinois the state with three prior Governors in prison, so use the information as you can. I also have been an LEO for 23 years. Most states will have a division of the DMV that will verify vehicles and VIN plating. I would almost bet that he switched the window frame and did not change the vin plate. there should be vin plating in other locations of the vehicle that the DMV official can check. Start by contacting them and explain the situation. In Illinois a LEO can inspect and sign off on a vin transfer. Good luck.
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
titomars
1981 CJ7 

The VIN should be stamped in the frame. Look at the top of the right hand frame rail about where the rear axle is. The title might just match the frame. Bodies get swapped all the time on these.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Get it taken care of now and soon while you can still locate this guy ..... you don't want him heading for a new rental home and them confiscating your "stolen" jeep. I am not saying that is the case at all .... I just would want him where I could get my hands on him and my money back if it was the case.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
Get it taken care of now and soon while you can still locate this guy ..... you don't want him heading for a new rental home and them confiscating your "stolen" jeep. I am not saying that is the case at all .... I just would want him where I could get my hands on him and my money back if it was the case.
Yeah I 2nd this too. When I bought mine the PO felt a bit insulted by me as I went over the Jeep verifying the VIN on the frame tub and windshield. I told him there are too many jeeps out there with shady paperwork and I did not want to be one of them. Plus it was obvious my CJ7 was rebuilt and modified at some point. Some of the body panels did not match under the current paint job.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Does NC require titles for a vehicle that age (BTW- what year is it?) In MA., they only require bill of sale, then MA will generate a title. Other states require nothing....

I would check the other VIN locations first & see if it matches...
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Same situation happened to me. I bought a CJ7 and thought everything was fine even after we went to a notary and transferred the title. A few weeks later, I got the PA title back in the mail with my name on it. Shortly after, I decoded the vin on the title, and it was for a CJ5! I called the state police who sent a vehicle fraud expert out to look at the jeep. He was able to tell me that the CJ5 that I had the title to had been junked long ago, and he took the numbers off the frame, and was able to tell me that it was at least not reported stolen. I did also have a bill of sale, and he said if I wanted to keep building the jeep, to just keep all my receipts, and I could get a title as a special construction vehicle once it was finished. Just like if I built a completely new vehicle out of new parts. I would just have to take it to an enhanced inspection station, who would be able to attach a new state issued vin plate to it. I eventually got about 90% done with the jeep when I found a chassis for sale with a title. I bought that and ended up using my jeep for parts. Now, I'm about 90% done again, and I have a title.
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I can't echo enough what the others are telling you. Take care of the issue NOW. More than likely it's just a parts swap and completely innocent. But if it isn't, you don't want the trouble. This is especially true after you drop a few thousand into the Jeep and the state shows up with a tow truck. You DON'T get reimbursed.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugcop4 View Post
I would almost bet that he switched the window frame and did not change the vin plate.
There's no VIN tag on the windshield frame on a '77 CJ. That started later (81 I believe). The VIN tag is on the firewall near the master cylinder and the last six digits are stamped into the frame.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

NC does use titles on vehicle of this age (and every other age.)

You can apply for a bonded title, in which you fill out a form stating how you acquired the vehicle, show you've tried to located the vehicle owner, and then buy a bond for the value of the vehicle so if the original owner (the person who shows up if they run the VIN) shows up the bond pays him the value of the vehicle. Also, the DMV might be interested in the guy selling the vehicle with the wrong title.

Lastly if it turns out to be a new body on the correct frame you get a special VIN tag from the DMV top affix to the door frame.

That being said, I drove a truck around for two years with a cab swap and didn't do anything about the VIN. I did have titles to both trucks, but never put the one for the cab in my name. I flipped the truck (literally) and the State Trooper who came out to investigate the accident never said anything about the VIN.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

The NC DOT website says they have specialty titles, like "Reconstructed Vehicle", and "Custom Built Vehicle", in which a new title will be issue, after vehicle has had a special inspection.

There is also a "replacement title" form that has a section for replacing a title for a vehicle that has "had the body, or engine replaced", and vins no longer match. This would be the best option, as long as you can confirm that the frame and body do indeed have different numbers. It doesnt hurt to contact the NC DOT and ask the question
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

X2
they do them all day long man. just go down to the local office and they will help you out. with getting the title straight but, before you go confirm like the others said your vin on the frame. It probably wouldnt hurt to have the vin off of the motor as well on hand incase they ask for it.
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

NC resident here, Same situation. Mine # matches frame and title but I have a fiberglass tub and the vin tag behind the wiper motor didn't come with the deal. I just run like it is, There is a good chance that any old cop off the street was born after this thing was built anyway... How would they know the correct place to look for the tag on the body? In case of legal trouble my frame does match though...You should check that. I had to sand mine down until the numbers were visible.
CrankyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
tbramich

frame #'s match the tub. title is for a cj6. i might look into the bonded title. i called dmv and they told me about that today. id do a tub swap if i found a cheap 1. i was planning to strech it enough to get 1.25 ton axles and 44" tires under it so i had to pull the tub anyway
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
tbramich

thanks for all the input

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.