Cj5 tear down and rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj5 tear down and rebuild

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

Cj5 tear down and rebuild

Hello everyone, im writting to see if anyone can give me any tips, suggestions, and advice on anything possible. I just bought a 1983 cj5 with a 258i straight six with a holly 4 barrell carb. I am going to take the body off and i am going to completley rebuild the engine, tansmission, and clutch. Does anyone have good rebuild kits for all of these and what would anyone recommend for an original 2 barrell carb. Also any links to your restorations would be great too. There is a slight clanking noise at high rpm and also i believe the timing is off slightly. What would be the best website for pricing and parts. Any recommendations on anything will help. Share as much as you'd like. Thanks

Mresky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

Before pictures

Hi Everyone, Here are some before pictures.
img_5165.jpg   img_5190.jpg   img_5193.jpg   img_5220.jpg   img_5252.jpg  

Unread 09-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

Hey everyone, here are some pictures from day 1 tear down
img_5261.jpg   img_5273.jpg   img_5280.jpg   img_5281.jpg   img_5282.jpg  

Unread 09-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Rick7122
1976 CJ5 

It depends on what needs fixed ( frame, rust on body) when I did mine I went with quadratec for some replacement parts. I went with a throttle down kustoms frame and for the side walls like above the rear tires I just got some sheet metal from the local metal shop and just cut it out from that. I will have to post some pics. I am sure there are others on here that will give better info then I can but good luck on the rebuild
Rick7122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

I just rebuilt my 74' CJ5 and have one small remark regarding the process. Take your time. I started my tear down in the beginning of august. I was taking my time and being methodical, until last Sunday. As of that moment the jeep had been stripped down to its frame and I was working on repairing the body. I learned that day that there was a group of my friend planning to go wheeling this weekend (they're there in fact). I rushed all week staying up till the whee hours of the morning trying to get the darn thing done and inspected. This included painting, rewiring the whole jeep, repairing broke seals and u-joints, as well as a large list of "small things". I ended up working myself to the point of exhaustion only to have my inspection fail yesterday due to the brake lights not working. More importantly though, I currently have little drive to finish my project. Do yourself a favor, take your time and enjoy it. Jeeps deserve passion.
FallibleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Rick7122
1976 CJ5 

True to that, my jeep sat for almost 2 years while doing the rebuild mostly waiting on parts, money, andd time to do it. So take your time and enjoy the experiance. Also remember that once you start on one thing on the jeep finish that and then move onto the next thing. I did not do that, I was just doing a little then moving onto another part and I am regreting it now. I am rebuilding the transmission and transfer case now. Just find a good starting point and go frome there. If you have any questions do not wait to ask people on this forum, they have a fast knowledge of everything.
Rick7122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

Thanks rick and Fallible, Ill def take my time with it and I would love to see pics of your build rick. Here are some pictures from Day 2 teardown. I got the body completely off and only had a few bolts that were stripped.
img_5286.jpg   img_5291.jpg   img_5295.jpg   img_5296.jpg   img_5298.jpg  

img_5301.jpg   img_5303.jpg   img_5305.jpg   img_5306.jpg   img_5307.jpg  

Unread 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

Here are some more pictures from Day 2
img_5302.jpg   img_5304.jpg   img_5305.jpg   img_5306.jpg   img_5330.jpg  

img_5309.jpg   img_5310.jpg   img_5311.jpg   img_5313.jpg   img_5331.jpg  

Unread 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

I was also wondering on my 1983 cj5 it has a solid rear with no tailgate. Is that stock or is this an aftermarket rear someone put on. It looks stock but ive never seen one without a tailgate.
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mresky
I was also wondering on my 1983 cj5 it has a solid rear with no tailgate. Is that stock or is this an aftermarket rear someone put on. It looks stock but ive never seen one without a tailgate.
I'm pretty sure that there was a "no tailgate option"
Someone here on the forum a few years back had an original window sticker showing it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

might try www.summitracing.com for up grades and rebuild kits. looks like a great project. have fun!
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

That thing is nicer than mine AFTER my rebuild. Looks like you got a nice Jeep to start with.
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Looks like your are taking plenty of photos of your project which is a good start. I suggest taking more, especially detailed photos of each component as you remove them or are about to remove them, you will need them when it comes time to put it all back together.

There are many websites that sell parts for the Jeep CJ, some cheaper than others but watch the shipping cost as they can add up very quickly. PM Qaudratec for parts, they are a vendor here and will set you up with free shipping.

If you want to know what it takes to rebuild/restore a Jeep CJ, you can check on the website where I have uploaded pictures of most of the major assembly and mods that were done to mine. Of course for every picture posted, there is a few dozen more that did not get posted and are all hanging out on a Photobucket account. The shortcut is in my signature below.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
.. I suggest taking more, especially detailed photos of each component as you remove them or are about to remove them, you will need them when it comes time to put it all back together...
This is good advice. At some point you'll need to reassemble something 2 years later and you'll curse yourself for not having a photo that hows how it should look correctly assembled. You can never have too many photos.

You also have to take the time to organize the photos so you can find them in the future. I suggest naming the photos with details names. In Windows, you can select a list (or range) of photos (or any other files) by clicking the first one, holding down the Shift ken, and clicking the last photo, press F2 to rename, type in a new name, and then hit Enter. That will rename the whole group of pics and number each one in order. I do this all the time when I work on my Jeep and take photos. Windows makes it easy to search for photos so if you've named the pics well then it is simple to find them in the future.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Mresky
1983 CJ5 

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Looks like your are taking plenty of photos of your project which is a good start. I suggest taking more, especially detailed photos of each component as you remove them or are about to remove them, you will need them when it comes time to put it all back together.

There are many websites that sell parts for the Jeep CJ, some cheaper than others but watch the shipping cost as they can add up very quickly. PM Qaudratec for parts, they are a vendor here and will set you up with free shipping.

If you want to know what it takes to rebuild/restore a Jeep CJ, you can check on the website where I have uploaded pictures of most of the major assembly and mods that were done to mine. Of course for every picture posted, there is a few dozen more that did not get posted and are all hanging out on a Photobucket account. The shortcut is in my signature below.
thanks for the advice keith and thanks for the link to your build. Ive been checking it out and you did an amazing job with tons of pictures and it came out really clean. Ill definitely be saving your link so I can look at it when i need it. Im going to be working on it today so I'll keep taking more pictures and letting you know how it goes. thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.