CJ5 (T150?) reverse light problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ5 (T150?) reverse light problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 11-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
ForeverNoob
1976 CJ5 

CJ5 (T150?) reverse light problems

First off, Happy Thanksgiving! Go hang out with your loved ones.

But if you're still here, would you mind helping me out?

1976 CJ5 304/T150 (I think...)

Everything in my reverse light circuit seems to work (at least to the driver's side light, but I'll figure out the passenger side later. That should be easy) except:
I have no power! If I jumper in a hot test lead, I get lights. I can feed power at the switch, or back feed at the TCS connector. No bad fuses, no dead shorts.
As best as I can tell from my tiny Haynes schematic, the power feeder should come through at the dash connector as a white wire. I have no power on the firewall side of that connector, but on the dash side I don't know where I'm looking.

Is backfeeding switched fused power at the TCS connector a viable permanent solution? I'd really like to fix it right, but with it getting dark early, I'd like to have some light back there soon.

Thanks in advance!

ForeverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

If I understand correctly your driver side back-up light is working. The passenger side light gets its power from the drivers side light. 1) confirm you have power at the connector going to the passenger side. 2)Make sure your passenger side light is grounded. It is grounded through a mounting stud to the body sometimes they get rusty and not make good contact. I would think a new wire from the drivers side to the passenger side would solve your problem.
texasdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
ForeverNoob
1976 CJ5 

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Neither reverse light works right now without a hot jumper wire. I'm getting no power. The reverse switch on the trans is functional. But I have no power supply. The wiring is in tact, at least from the switch to the lights, and from the switch forward to the dash connector on the engine side of the firewall. From the tiny diagram in my Haynes I can follow it all that far, but I don't know where it is supposed to go on the interior side of the firewall. I don't see it, and I'm not sure where the power is supposed to be coming from. The TCS system has been removed before I owned it, but the wiring going to it is still intact. If I feed power through the TCS connector (shared with the reverse light circuit) the driver's side works as it is supposed to. The passenger side does not work at all, and I'm guessing you are absolutely correct - either a bad ground (or non-existent ground; its a fiberglass body) or possibly even no power feed from the driver's side. I'm sure I can correct that easy enough, but without a temporary hot jumper wire, the entire circuit is dead.

I guess in short, what I'm asking is where is the power feed for the reverse light circuit supposed to be coming from, and is there any potential danger/problems in using the TCS connector to back feed a fused power source from the switch if for some reason I can't feed the circuit from where it is supposed to come from.

Thanks for your reply!
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

http://oljeep.com/edge76tsm.html try this link if it doesn't work try to type it in. The site has a TSM factory service manual for a 76. The power for the backup lights goes to the cigar lighter as well it is a red wire. if you trace the wire from the cigar lighter back you will find the power source. You have to install a dedicated ground to a metal point on fiber glass bodies.
texasdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
ForeverNoob
1976 CJ5 

Okay, cool. That gives me a place to start chasing. My factory cigar lighter is no more, but I know where the wiring for it is, and that circuit is still functional. I can't get the link to work even typing it in, but that might have something to do with my early morning grogginess... lol. Thanks a bunch!
Unread 11-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Try this link:

http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html

The electric schematics are Section 22. It looks like you are tracing a white w/tr wire.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
ForeverNoob
1976 CJ5 

That one is a lot easier than squinting at my haynes... thanks for the help! Hoping to have some time this evening to chase some wiring, but the wife is insistent that we stick a pine tree in our living room today, so we shall see
Unread 11-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

I can't recall who created it (and all props to them, for it is very useful and whomever it was deserves a pound of gold) but here's the wiring diagram in color. http://jeep.smallcraft.net/CJ_wiring_in_color.jpg
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
ForeverNoob
1976 CJ5 

Just a little update and a quick question... Haven't had a lot of time to chase wiring what with trees in the living room and socks on the mantle, but I managed to have a quick peek. Is the feeder for the reverse light switch supposed to be plugged into one of the male spades sticking out of the fuse panel or is it integrated into the wiring? I can't find anything that looks like it is supposed to be there, but there are spades that are switched hot with the ignition key.

Thanks for everyone jumping in here, and that colored coded wiring diagram is AWESOME!

EDIT: I just tapped a wire from a spade on the fuse panel to the connector that went to the TCS. Fixed a broken hot wire that fed the passenger side reverse light. Its fused, its switched, and its working. Good enough for me. Again, thanks for everyone chiming in!
Unread 12-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

To answer your first Question, yes and no.
There is a reverse light plug hanging from the harness for CJ7 with Automatic Trannys. But there is also a hard wired circuit for manual trannies.

Your NO (Next Owner) will love you... but I got a lot of 'good nuff' stuff on my jeep right now.....
My best one at the moment is the hot wire to the e-core ignition coil (+) terminal being being held in place with a roach clip.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Your NO (Next Owner) will love you... but I got a lot of 'good nuff' stuff on my jeep right now.....
My best one at the moment is the hot wire to the e-core ignition coil (+) terminal being being held in place with a roach clip.
(roach clip), now that's something I haven't heard in awhile
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Smilie View Post
Quote:
(roach clip), now that's something I haven't heard in awhile
my age is showing.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.